Digital Copying & Licensing - Dj's Beware

NiteOwl

An Interesting Atricle about the act of copying your music onto a PC or MP3 Player for DJ ing purposes... not one that we have to worry about!! - I hope biggrin.gif

Digital DJs 'unaware of copy law' DJs can now create an entire sound and visual show from their laptopMany DJs are still unwittingly breaking the law by playing unlicensed digital copies of tracks months after a new permit scheme began, the BBC has found.

The annual licences, costing £200 plus VAT, were introduced by royalty collection agency PPL in September.

DJs who copy tracks onto computers or MP3 players without one are breaking copyright law, the organisation says.

But Radio 1 DJ Fergie told Newsbeat he did not know about the licences and doubted many other DJs did either.

The licences are needed by any DJ who wants to store digital copies of sound recordings to use when playing in public. o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif There isn't actually very much money in DJing so to ask someone to shell out £200 is going to be a bit over the top end_quote_rb.gif - YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!! What do you think of the new licences? Are you a DJ who uses digital copies of tracks? Is it right for DJs to use digital recordings rather than vinyl or CDs?

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4609378.stm more info.......

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You will probably find that most if not all 45's are also covered by such a copyright. Not much evidence on US 45's but I've Drizabone (Real Love) in front of me and on the inner edge of the run out it says...All rights of the producer and of the owner of the recorded work reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this record prohibited. I would assume therefore the same law applies and the necessary licence required.

Social source share

You will probably find that most if not all 45's are also covered by such a copyright. Not much evidence on US 45's but I've Drizabone (Real Love) in front of me and on the inner edge of the run out it says...All rights of the producer and of the owner of the recorded work reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this record prohibited. I would assume therefore the same law applies and the necessary licence required.

That necessary licence is normally held by the venue rather than the DJ but Now, the organisations that represent composers & publishers of music [PRS] and the record companies and performers [PPL] have come together to promote the use of music in public places and give some new music users a one stop shop for their music licences. They are currently raiding takeway and fast food outlets.

So DJ's are Ok unless they have more than one person in their home say at a record session when they will receive a chap at their door and a demand for money.

I was playing music at a fund raising quiz night hosted by the local community police and made the mistake of unzipping my CD folder without checking the shop purchased ones were on the top. They are quite sharp eyed, the Bastards but they let me off.

I think DJ's are in more danger from the tax man and maybe the VAT man for import duty.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

That necessary licence is normally held by the venue rather than the DJ but Now, the organisations that represent composers & publishers of music [PRS] and the record companies and performers [PPL] have come together to promote the use of music in public places and give some new music users a one stop shop for their music licences. They are currently raiding takeway and fast food outlets.

So DJ's are Ok unless they have more than one person in their home say at a record session when they will receive a chap at their door and a demand for money.

I was playing music at a fund raising quiz night hosted by the local community police and made the mistake of unzipping my CD folder without checking the shop purchased ones were on the top. They are quite sharp eyed, the Bastards but they let me off.

I think DJ's are in more danger from the tax man and maybe the VAT man for import duty.

When you purchase music it is for your OWN listening, so playing it in your home to anyone else has always been technically against the law. I remember having to write down every single track I played when I was a club DJ back in the 70's to stay within the licencing laws, not sure what the rule for club Dj's are now. :thumbsup:
Social source share

I do a bit of DJ'ing on an internet radio station these days (www.presencefm.com - shameless plug :thumbsup: ) and used to do a little in clubs / venues etc, and promoted a couple of nights myself over the years so know a little about the licensing situation

You absolutely have to ensure that you have paid MCPS/PRS for the license to play music (and make sure it's the right license too as they have many different schemes) or they can take you to court. Most venues will have the correct license but it's worth checking up - they can confiscate your records!

Even hosting sound clips on a website requires a MCPS/PRS license and they are getting their act together on enforcing this too. The license's are not that dear these days. A few years ago I ran an internet based music business and had to pay MCPS/PRS £10k a year!

Phil

Social source share

Interesting Comments Guys - thanks... I was just getting a bit twitchy about the web site side of it..... I kept getting asked for clips of tracks that came from my vinyl collection, so decided to post a few on my site (for members only of course) - and whilst checking out the legal status of doing that, came accross this.... I suppose our scene is no exception despite the fact that most of the Record Companies, Artists and agents are not really going to get a penny in royalties even if we pay MCPS...... :angry: kind of asks the question... could we get some kind of exemption??? :thumbsup:

Social source share

When you purchase music it is for your OWN listening, so playing it in your home to anyone else has always been technically against the law.

Not all true, you can play music, watch films ect in your own home with up to 5 or 6 people cant remember which :thumbsup: any more over that is seen as public broadcasting and you need a licence to do it.

Social source share

Not all true, you can play music, watch films ect in your own home with up to 5 or 6 people cant remember which :thumbsup: any more over that is seen as public broadcasting and you need a licence to do it.

:shades: I've been to Northern Do's in the past then,that never needed a licence :lol:

Social source share

Interesting Comments Guys - thanks... I was just getting a bit twitchy about the web site side of it..... I. I suppose our scene is no exception despite the fact that most of the Record Companies, Artists and agents are not really going to get a penny in royalties even if we pay MCPS...... :angry: kind of asks the question... could we get some kind of exemption??? :thumbsup:

The record companies(if they still exist) and publishing companies will receive money. Deopending on their recording and publishing conracts the artistes and writers may also get paid. In reality very few artists receive royalties and a number of songwriters sold their half of the publishing.

Last year for the first time ever PRS/PPL charged hospital radio stations so there are no exemptions.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert