Thee Midniters - Anybody Playing Out Their Tracks ? Which Ones ?

The Tempest

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

You're Gonna Make Me Cry has been in and out of my play box for years. Not well enough known for some people. Great all the same.

Was covered up as Jimmy Burns during the early '80s (Stafford?). I think also Empty Heart (on the Chattahoochee LP and a cover of the Stones) got some play a long while back. Like the other singles, it was also released on Whittier. I believe they also did a version of "It'll Never Be Over For Me", also a Whittier 45, though I've never heard it.

By the way, your Chattahoochee LP look pretty damn awesome - some lovely looking tracks!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

"It'll Never Be Over For Me" is on a 45, it's findable here in the US, goes for $30, maybe a bit more on a good day. It's an excellent atmospheric recording but it's too slow for the US dance scene. "Jump Jive and Harmonize" is also on a 45. The other side "Looking Out My Window" is pretty good. "Whitter Blvd" is just another one of the many 2120 S. Michigan Ave riff instros, there's better (and worse) variations on it out there. "You're Gonna Make Me Cry" is a great track but it doesn't seem to be a floor filler here in the US. I dunno why, could be that guys don't like the title/lyrics! Musically it's a pretty direct lift of "But It's Alright". The flip side is another quality ballad. "I Found a Peanut" (also on 45) is a franitc pounder, I can hear this getting played at some open minded dance night.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"I Found a Peanut" (also on 45) is a franitc pounder, I can hear this getting played at some open minded dance night.

I've played this out in the past but I think some people struggle with the novelty style vocal on it & that keeps it away from my regular plays, great backing track though.

Social source share

You're Gonna Make Me Cry has been in and out of my play box for years. Not well enough known for some people. Great all the same.

Would have thought this was a reasonably well known oldie? Was it not a Soul Sam c/up and a late Wigan spin, though one of those that became more associated with Stafford?

Social source share

'Evil Love' (Chattahoochie 45) has had a few plays.

The best 'Album only' track is 'Cheatin Woman' on their Whittier album 'Unlimited'..great soulful mid-tempo tune!

post-4912-0-54688500-1349551366_thumb.jp

They also did a version of the Servicemen's 'Are You Angry' albeit VERY different!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!