Where To Start? Djing?

I understand what you are saying. I'm not expecting to become one of the top DJs because I'm going to buy a few records and a turntable. And I appreciate it takes years to build up a collection. Let me explain what happened, I played a set using my MP3 collection (I hear groans :P). I then get invited to DJ with another local promoter and DJ who run vinyl only nights, its something I'd like to pursue, but I don't have a collection (my dad does). Either way I'm looking for something to keep me off street corners over the winter, and my mum won't allow me too by another scooter ;)

Nowt wrong with that son. Good luck to yer.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

No the scooter is still going strong, off to brid in a few weeks then mablethorpe next month. I just wouldnt mind another :O

Mablethorpe - sheeat!

I grew up there - started my niter career from there with my old buddies - fecked off in my 20's. Who do you know there then Jordan? I'll tell yer if they're ok or not.

:wink:

Social source share

well I am predominantly a punter and that's my take on things as a punter...too many do's clash, to many promoters, should all get heads together and fill the venues, apply across board music, mix of everything !!

i know its a different well worn out subject but this is one of the reason there is an ORIGINAL VINYL ONLY side of the scene.that a lot of punters 'who dont care what format its on' dont seem to get.....its not snobbery...there are already too many djs/nights as you say and some are playing boots/cds and now even laptops....if its all only original a lot wouldnt bother so the other nights would be fuller and a lot of people who only listen to oldies (at the boot etc nights) would probably actually like a lot of the lesser known tracks if they heard them more often and gave them a chance IMO :-)...dont you think?

dean

Social source share

Mablethorpe - sheeat!

I grew up there - started my niter career from there with my old buddies - fecked off in my 20's. Who do you know there then Jordan? I'll tell yer if they're ok or not.

:wink:

It's a scooter rally mate 17th November.

My advice is stick to the scooter rallies, (nationals and regional) more friendly, more respectfull, better etiquette, Great mix of music and people (No handbaggers, bandwagon jumpers,) outsider piss heads trying to take the mick would soon be dealt with, rapid.

Local soul nights can be clicky and snobby, choose wisely and be among friends.

Otherwise, good luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's a scooter rally mate 17th November.

My advice is stick to the scooter rallies, (nationals and regional) more friendly, more respectfull, better etiquette, Great mix of music and people (No handbaggers, bandwagon jumpers,) outsider piss heads trying to take the mick would soon be dealt with, rapid.

Local soul nights can be clicky and snobby, choose wisely and be among friends.

Otherwise, good luck :thumbsup:

My mate Terry may well have something to do with that - he's a good guy.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, im off to the scooter rally, a nice 180 miles jaunt on the bretta in november. Are you off dekka?

Not to sojnd cocky, I am fairly well know on the scooter scene. Get to alot of rallies and met a load of people. Don't know many of the DJs.

I went into one of these cash converter type spot and managed to pick up a Stanton deck at a decent price. Just the one, but over the next month or so, i will hunt down another.

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

Social source share

Yeah, im off to the scooter rally, a nice 180 miles jaunt on the bretta in november. Are you off dekka?

Not to sojnd cocky, I am fairly well know on the scooter scene. Get to alot of rallies and met a load of people. Don't know many of the DJs.

I went into one of these cash converter type spot and managed to pick up a Stanton deck at a decent price. Just the one, but over the next month or so, i will hunt down another.

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

Hi mate

If weather good will probs ride through on the saturday just for the day as it's not far from Newark.

Got scarboro and cleethorpes booked up so far for next year, will fit in more as the year progresses.

atb

dekka :thumbsup:

Social source share

Me and mate have booked up for Scarborough next year, I normally camp every where. But I've started to book a few b&bs, its just great not having a 5 foot tower of luggage on your sprint rack haha!

I'm off to the garage to have a look through all the un-sorted singles in there. I found Paris blues and couple of other decent songs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Me and mate have booked up for Scarborough next year, I normally camp every where. But I've started to book a few b&bs, its just great not having a 5 foot tower of luggage on your sprint rack haha!

I'm off to the garage to have a look through all the un-sorted singles in there. I found Paris blues and couple of other decent songs.

14 of us from Newark for scarboro in same hotel, just do b&b's mainly these days, know what you mean about the tower,

Knackered my suspension at I of W last year, make no wonder I fell off :D

Edited by dekka
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i can echo what most have said about technics ....... well worth the money. i'd also say get a good mixer, one with a gain control so you can adjust the levels before you play the next track. learn how to use it and how to cue records properly. we use an allen and heath mixer and can't fault it ........ we also use a pioneer one sometimes. used "bedroom

Social source share

Hmm, looks like a lot of replies have gone missing?

I can see why people can easily spend a small fortune collecting records. haha.

nah shouldnt be any missing

the topic titles have had to be put back a day and so the last post info may have been out

but as far as aware nothings been removed from here :thumbsup:

Social source share

I wish I could find a copy of Paris Blues in the garage.

Social source share

I wish I could find a copy of Paris Blues in the garage.

There always just been loads 45's in there that my dad has gained over the years. Just left there as alot of it is quite bad like Rolf Harris! MAlot of it is disco and some cheesy pop type stuff, im sure some of it will be fairly popular on the disco scene? But i really dont know what im looking for there. But there is the odd decent track in there which may have come round back into fashion on the Northern scene or didnt make its way into the organised collection.

Social source share

iF you have got the time Jordan have a look through Discogs website re. the disco stuff if it looks obcure.You may find something to sell, if dad allows you to, giving you some funds to buy some soul 7s.

There you go, thats you becoming a record dealer already !

Social source share

Another beginers question, obviously when buying a 45 you are generally after the original pressing. But, on many songs there have been official re-releases is the gerneral rule of thumb the closer to the very original pressing the best? I would imagine there are exceptions to the rule in many cases. Obviously, boots and re-issues from last few years are the least sought after in general, but whats peoples opinions on boots from back in the day?

Thanks,

Social source share

Another beginers question, obviously when buying a 45 you are generally after the original pressing. But, on many songs there have been official re-releases is the gerneral rule of thumb the closer to the very original pressing the best? I would imagine there are exceptions to the rule in many cases. Obviously, boots and re-issues from last few years are the least sought after in general, but whats peoples opinions on boots from back in the day?

Thanks,

some boots from the 70's are worth quite a lot by comparison to others, but I think most people on here tend to strive for sets of original US or UK issue vinyl as much as possible. there are some things out there though that are only issued in "modern" times, things that never saw an original first pressing for various reasons. for myself, when starting out playing this kind of music, I bought a good number of reissues, simply because where I play nobody was going to wag a finger in my direction for it because nobody would know the difference, and because I was on a very tight budget. I guarantee though your infatuation with this style of music growing, you'll find there's some serious rarities you'll likely never get your hands on, but will want to have in your set, and more often than not there will be a boot or pressing of that record that isn't nearly as astronomically priced. the way I see it, until you can even consider buying that ultra rare piece, having a pressing of it is more like a "place-marker" in your collection for another record. if the crowd you're playing for isn't going to leer at you for it, and if you're recently exposed to this weird world of northern soul, having a few pressings isn't a bad thing at all.

Social source share

Thanks,

I asked a similar question last week, concensus of opinion was that,

if it's a legitimate pressing it's ok.

However same qustion asked on a different forum lat year and I got a completely different answer.

Basically go with what you are comfortable with, I tend to go with original, be it 12" or 7"

and leave the legitimate pressings alone, but thats just me. ATB on that one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Good luck to you Jordan - Enjoy what you do, love what you do, be profesional,practice regularly, have good equpment and respect your audience.If you want to play OVO only to appease the collectors yes do it. After 4 years on (and now off) the NS scene some of the best events I was privileged to attend were I have to say were at the cheaper end of the market or where the dj's were open minded enough to watch what filled a dance floor, and to play an across the board music policy. And yes some were playing off pressings, CD or MP3 format, BUT they could put a set together gauging tempo/genre as well as dropping in an odd rareity that got you thinking. The issue of playing the odd pressing never really came into it for me, when I go out, we want to be entertained, this meant qood quality soul music of any genre, and the d's ability to us a mike properly informing what that particular record was,or the history behind it- that showed to me the dj knew his music and had a deep love for it. Why people waste their time running up to decks to check if a vinyl is original was always beyond me,this signified what a collector was, god bless 'em. And a lot of collectors are not DJ's, however much they would like to portray themselves as.Its ironic now that my only souling input is on a Saturday afternoon in town, free admission but a breadth and depth of dj's to listen to, playing CD's (I know they also own the originals on vinyls). Too many "do's" perhaps, too few prepared to listen to their audience possibly and a definite lack of a sense of fun. Enjoy yourself and good luck.

AB

MC

Social source share

If you don't have the records then don't bother IMO. There are plenty out there with the originals, no need to go down the boot, reissues route when Djing. Plenty of great rarely played cheap records out there so if you can't afford something look for one of these. There are enough out there now playing the same records, boots etc.

If you are going to do this do it right with your own taste reflected with an emphasis on dancers. The scene is stale, stagnant and needs a kick up the backside so if you wish to start Djing give the scene a kick up the arse with something that isn't already on offer from the plethora of so called DJs out there.

There is no need to cheat to play a good set.

It should be the original release, Lp or 7 inch, don't play a legit reissue if a DJ there has the original. I wouldn't play a legit recent reissue anyway unless the release was previously unreleased.

In a nutshell :thumbsup:

Social source share

Plenty of great rarely played cheap records out there so if you can't afford something look for one of these.

this is the most true statement. so many great records £20 and under that you won't hear many DJs playing out, but will get a floor moving in an instant. also condition-wise, some records that aren't in the most perfect top nick are certainly ok for playing out still, and can be had for a bit cheaper than if it were a minty copy.

Edited by AndreasB
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Good luck to you Jordan - Enjoy what you do, love what you do, be profesional,practice regularly, have good equpment and respect your audience.If you want to play OVO only to appease the collectors yes do it. After 4 years on (and now off) the NS scene some of the best events I was privileged to attend were I have to say were at the cheaper end of the market or where the dj's were open minded enough to watch what filled a dance floor, and to play an across the board music policy. And yes some were playing off pressings, CD or MP3 format, BUT they could put a set together gauging tempo/genre as well as dropping in an odd rareity that got you thinking. The issue of playing the odd pressing never really came into it for me, when I go out, we want to be entertained, this meant qood quality soul music of any genre, and the d's ability to us a mike properly informing what that particular record was,or the history behind it- that showed to me the dj knew his music and had a deep love for it. Why people waste their time running up to decks to check if a vinyl is original was always beyond me,this signified what a collector was, god bless 'em. And a lot of collectors are not DJ's, however much they would like to portray themselves as.Its ironic now that my only souling input is on a Saturday afternoon in town, free admission but a breadth and depth of dj's to listen to, playing CD's (I know they also own the originals on vinyls). Too many "do's" perhaps, too few prepared to listen to their audience possibly and a definite lack of a sense of fun. Enjoy yourself and good luck.

AB

MC

This is where i find it hard to understand your logic Mick, original vinyl does not appease anyone, it's the mantra and the origins of the varied soul scene, without that belief and feeling for original records the soul scene (whole) would be laid bare, bootleggers would run riot and win, the great collectors and dj's would have wasted their time (thank God they didn't), what is it about collecting original records you just don't get ??? Of course there is a world full of re-issue/bootleg venues, but in the big mix they are meaningless, yeah sure a feel good night, but please do not EVER associate those nights with true collector/dj nights, that would be a thing too much to suffer .In respect to the guy's original post..buy original records, and be taken serious, otherwise just be another ship in the night...

Ps...Lets ask people on this Forum..If they play original vinyl records or not....My name is Brett Franklin i do... .........

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

As a footnote I will attend the Darrow Fletcher appearances and ask him to sign his ' original' records..that I own, anybody wish to take any fake records for Mr Fletcher to sign ?.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Why would u waste ur time standing there waiting for darrow to sign them. He wont care and all u will do is ruin ur night cuddling ur records hoping he might sign them. Have a bounce about enjoy the night in the company of in my eyes a legend and leave it

there

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Why would u waste ur time standing there waiting for darrow to sign them. He wont care and all u will do is ruin ur night cuddling ur records hoping he might sign them. Have a bounce about enjoy the night in the company of in my eyes a legend and leave it

there

Tremendous use of the written word there !!!! Would you care to write in words i actually understand and can read...........Should this post not be in the under 12's forum....Now go and enjoy your horlicks and alphabet spaghetti...it'll be getting cold

Social source share

I still think this is a wind up.

Found a Paris Blues in the garage?

Can I play a later reissue?

If it isn't a wind up, my advice would be to forget about records entirely, stick to mp3 etc, start a night up yourself and don't let anybody over 30 in. You'll have much more fun and nobody will try and police what you're playing.

Cheers

Paul :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I still think this is a wind up.

Found a Paris Blues in the garage?

Can I play a later reissue?

If it isn't a wind up, my advice would be to forget about records entirely, stick to mp3 etc, start a night up yourself and don't let anybody over 30 in. You'll have much more fun and nobody will try and police what you're playing.

Cheers

Paul :D

Might have been an ERIC one he's not said what label, was a lot about BITD. :D:D

Social source share

Guest mcblade

i know its a different well worn out subject but this is one of the reason there is an ORIGINAL VINYL ONLY side of the scene.that a lot of punters 'who dont care what format its on' dont seem to get.....its not snobbery...there are already too many djs/nights as you say and some are playing boots/cds and now even laptops....if its all only original a lot wouldnt bother so the other nights would be fuller and a lot of people who only listen to oldies (at the boot etc nights) would probably actually like a lot of the lesser known tracks if they heard them more often and gave them a chance IMO :-)...dont you think?

dean

Hands up who has original Frank Wilson - Do I Love You?? Seems to get played a lot at original vinyl events !!

Social source share

for what it's worth, my advice..... don't buy and play Souldies!!! (same old tunes one can hear down the road in any town in the UK at the moment).... or.... DO buy and play same old 'Souldies' as that seems to be what the masses want! (example of a 'Souldie'.... Vibrations - Cause You're Mine etc. etc)

Edited by coops
Social source share

My advice, buy ( and play) whatever you love, old or new, ignore the nay-Sayers and stick to what YOU think works. Don't just buy stuff cos you think it'll work, just cos it'll fill a dance floor because you'll be the same as every Tom dick and harry. Fall in love with a sound collect that sound play that sound. Ask as much as you can from those that know, and buy originals if you can afford but don't if you can't.

Just enjoy this music and help spread that joy!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Why do so many people seem to fear anyone new, or lacking a bit of knowledge or convention, encroaching onto the scene. Someone said in an earlier post that the scene is in a rut. Maybe folk like Northern Jordan might just be the breath of fresh air it needs. I asked a similar question when I first found this web site, and got slaughtered by a certain few. One person in particular, took great pleasure in ridiculing me. It turns out he doesn't even venture out anymore. Ashleysoul's post above works for me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why do so many people seem to fear anyone new, or lacking a bit of knowledge or convention, encroaching onto the scene. Someone said in an earlier post that the scene is in a rut. Maybe folk like Northern Jordan might just be the breath of fresh air it needs. I asked a similar question when I first found this web site, and got slaughtered by a certain few. One person in particular, took great pleasure in ridiculing me. It turns out he doesn't even venture out anymore. Ashleysoul's post above works for me.

It was me who said it was in a rut and you are right Northern Jordan and others like him could be a breath of fresh air but IMO they have to offer something other than what is on offer right now at many places and not fall into the buy it/play it because everyone else is scenario. Forget the trophy records, plenty already have and play them, they re becoming boring. As I said 100's of cheap records that are never given the light of the day because of the sheep mentality of many. Play a record because you like the record your self and would play it at home, not because it is a "safe" spin. Above all enjoy it.

If you are simply going to do what others are already doing and offer the same, then what is the point?

Social source share

It was me who said it was in a rut and you are right Northern Jordan and others like him could be a breath of fresh air but IMO they have to offer something other than what is on offer right now at many places and not fall into the buy it/play it because everyone else is scenario. Forget the trophy records, plenty already have and play them, they re becoming boring. As I said 100's of cheap records that are never given the light of the day because of the sheep mentality of many. Play a record because you like the record your self and would play it at home, not because it is a "safe" spin. Above all enjoy it.

If you are simply going to do what others are already doing and offer the same, then what is the point?

Couldn't agree more with you.

Social source share

For the record (no pun intended), i have been hunting out personal favourites whic IMO are underplayed and some you just dont hear without spending a fortune as alot of originals are a good price. However, i have hunted down/have access to a few classics but are not done to death like The Snake or Do I Love You, but hopefully they will get people dancing. I have been planning my set for a little while now, and i think i have got a i good ballance between, underplayed and known, but i will only find out on the night.

I will post the set list up once i have played if any one is interested?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!