News: Acid Jazz - The 25Th Anniversary Box Set

This looks fantastic Ian, were all tracks on this actually on Acid Jazz? Never knew that about loads on CD1,

The Nervous Track was the first ever non vocal track I bought, recommended by that man of great taste Robin Salter who says once I had that I would never look back as in getting full on into house not just through the soul scene, he was right.

Some great memories of hazy Sundays in London town from that tracklist.

Another must buy.

Social source share

Loved a bit of Acid Jazz, not so much the label as the genre :)

Yep, we had to license in a lot of outside repertoire from numerous sources. We figured there's been ample Acid Jazz label comps over the years, so this more to document the overall scene as opposed to just the label only. We didn't lose much and we managed to track down 98% of everything we went for, so we're pretty happy with the track listing. :thumbsup:

Ian D :D

Social source share

This looks fantastic Ian, were all tracks on this actually on Acid Jazz? Never knew that about loads on CD1,

Cheers Jocko. Only about 25% is Acid Jazz and that includes the 2 unreleased Brand New Heavies songs on the exclusive 7" (one of which is a Brand New Heavies instrumental version of Aretha's "Rock Steady").

The Nervous Track was the first ever non vocal track I bought, recommended by that man of great taste Robin Salter who says once I had that I would never look back as in getting full on into house not just through the soul scene, he was right.

It's amazing the appeal of that track! It seems to have crossed a few boundaries since loads of people seem to love it.

Some great memories of hazy Sundays in London town from that tracklist.

Another must buy.

Yep, Dean did a bang-up job in documenting the scene I believe and does some exemporary sleeve notes (with original pics too). Even looking through the 50 page artwork book is like looking at a slice of UK history. If it comes out like it should, then it'll be proud to grace any shelf I reckon......

When you coming down for that drink....?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it does take me back I have to say......... Jock, that was the idea behind groove thing, unfortunately I was the one carrying that particular torch

Social source share

I used to licence allot of images to acid jazz for some of their later releases, anyhow I 'd made a call the one day and the receptionist answers the phone, and guess what he name was?

Ann Sexton, and she had no idea why I nearly fell of my seat... I've often thought somebody must have taken her on, but maybe never told her......??? laughs

favourite track by a country mile, the utterly Brilliant:

Earthy Powers - by Man Called Adam, what a record....

Mal.C

Social source share

I used to licence allot of images to acid jazz for some of their later releases, anyhow I 'd made a call the one day and the receptionist answers the phone, and guess what he name was?

Ann Sexton, and she had no idea why I nearly fell of my seat... I've often thought somebody must have taken her on, but maybe never told her......??? laughs

favourite track by a country mile, the utterly Brilliant:

Earthy Powers - by Man Called Adam, what a record....

Mal.C

Not this Techno side though Mal. The 'Earthly' side was good but I couldn't get on with the vocals, especially when you have a listen to Lonnie Liston smith. Still got it somewhere. Great times for underground UK music with real instruments, Talkin' Loud being one of the best labels.

Jordi

Social source share

Great times for underground UK music with real instruments, Talkin' Loud being one of the best labels.

Jordi

Yep, for sure. Gilles Peterson went from Acid Jazz to Talkin' Loud. We tried for around 4 Talkin' Loud tracks and got 2. The other two got refused for inexplicable reasons. With projects like this, the main obstacle is always the licensing. We were lucky to get what we did as everything that cleared was on the original wish-list!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Que? I take it Groove Thing was a club in the far North Davie....? :g:

indeed it was, sorry for the late reply i've been away on a phototrip for the last 2 days

Social source share

indeed it was, sorry for the late reply i've been away on a phototrip for the last 2 days

No probs Davie. I can see you're a busy guy. Those pics are amazing by the way - that's some of the most beautiful country on these shores. I may go up there for a nice peaceful driving trip to get away from the madness down here.....

Where was the club out of interest? I ask that 'cos one of the best gigs I did (with Paul Schofield) was in the middle of Scotland (for a guy called Tony Cochrane) sometime in the late 70's where he ferried coachloads of customers from all parts of Scotland in. I actually have an early VHS film of some of the gig with a HUGE crowd doing a line-dance to "Shante" by Mass Production. Has to be seen to be believed.........

Social source share

Not this Techno side though Mal. The 'Earthly' side was good but I couldn't get on with the vocals, especially when you have a listen to Lonnie Liston smith. Still got it somewhere. Great times for underground UK music with real instruments, Talkin' Loud being one of the best labels.

Jordi

is that the techno side, of course your right, the lesser of the two, I bought my copy when it came out for £2.99 from HMV in Brum, my golly music as good as this for literally pennies.. i'm surprised this did not make the above anni release, or did it?

Mal

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

No probs Davie. I can see you're a busy guy. Those pics are amazing by the way - that's some of the most beautiful country on these shores. I may go up there for a nice peaceful driving trip to get away from the madness down here.....

Where was the club out of interest? I ask that 'cos one of the best gigs I did (with Paul Schofield) was in the middle of Scotland (for a guy called Tony Cochrane) sometime in the late 70's where he ferried coachloads of customers from all parts of Scotland in. I actually have an early VHS film of some of the gig with a HUGE crowd doing a line-dance to "Shante" by Mass Production. Has to be seen to be believed.........

It was in Dundee, never ran long to be honest as the Dundee crowd just weren't up for it. I wanted the playlist to be the opposite of what I normally play so Modern,Acid jazz,Funk etc with a complete no fear policy....alas Dundee just wasn't ready

Social source share

Gets some bad press and is pretty unfashionable right now but acts like the heavies, young disciples ect flew the flag for street soul when there was not a lot else around. Saw many Acid Jazz acts back in the day and most were sensational, Corduroy, mother earth and the amazing Galliano, who were undoubtable the best live act I've ever seen.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

great label ...... and still producing good stuff like janice graham band. i loved the time when corduroy, brand new heavies, galliano etc were releasing stuff. i remember a really good trip up to the acid jazz christmas party one year ....... which i'm sure had JTQ, brand new heavies and corduroy on the bill.

Social source share

Finished copies arrived at lunchtime and it looks absolutely brilliant in the flesh!

The first pressing has now completely pre-sold out, so if you want one of the first 3K off the presses, then order through Amazon or your local record emporium but make it quick!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009DW5Z2Y/ref=s9_simh_bw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0TN1057Z2KQP1KD6JA3M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=330698847&pf_rd_i=229816

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great 2 page article in the Guardian today about 25 years of Acid Jazz..... plus a fitting tribute to Terry Callier from Eddie Piller.....

https://www.guardian....01/acid-jazz-25

plus a fitting tribute to Terry Callier from Eddie Piller.....

https://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/nov/01/acid-jazz-terry-callier

Out on Monday!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Bargain Of The Day! For the next 7 hours you can pick up Acid Jazz: The 25th Anniversary Box Set at a mind-blowing £29.99 inc delivery! Happy Xmas!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009DW5Z2Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1S8AKHQ1SDZZ09BHRKCP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!