Who Were The Honeybees On Garrison?

Steve G

the honeybees recorded on roxbury (dream express) 1976

That set of Honey Bees were UK based.

Their producers were Richard Hewson & Phil Swern who worked with the likes of the Pearls (1972), R & J Stone, Bryan Taylor, etc.

Hewson led the RAH Band

Phil Swern - the guy who produces Sounds Of The 60's and Pick Of The Pops? He bought a record off me a couple of years back; The COD's - Michael - Stateside.

Social source share

The mentions of Honey & The Bees (Josie, Arctic) on this topic are all pretty irrelevant to the actual question. It's not even as though it's the same name! They were, however, at least the nucleus of The Yum Yums on ABC Paramount, so at least some 'scene' relevance.

The Honey Bees on Fontana were really two separate groups, albeit the same entity as both were pseudonyms for other, moonlighting groups fulfilling the one Fontana-Mercury contract. Their first single, "One Wonderful Night" is reckoned to be The Cookies under a nom de disc, while the second lot (who had the original release of Goffin and King's classic "Some Of Your Loving") was a studio aggregation which contained members of a group who also recorded as 'The Orchids' on Columbia.

I'd assume there is no connection whatsoever between any of these and the Garrison record.

Social source share

okay, lets see what we have so far: honey bees on garrison rec. nyc, honey & the bees arctic rec. philly, honey and the bees on academy rec. nyc (albeit being another group from philly re to boba). andantes maybe the honey bees on garrison with a different lead.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

It may have sth to do with the deal that brought jack montgomery to Scepter records. Maybe this Honey Bees recording shares the same background story...they are all FLOMAR published, the Garrison 45 is even produced by Jack Montgomery. That might explain why it has "never in a million years" on the flipside as its also the track that hits the flipside to jacks barracuda 45. no answer to the initial question who the honey bees were but maybe guiding us towards one ?

Social source share

okay, lets see what we have so far: honey bees on garrison rec. nyc, honey & the bees arctic rec. philly, honey and the bees on academy rec. nyc (albeit being another group from philly re to boba). andantes maybe the honey bees on garrison with a different lead.

The Honey Bees on Garrison couldn't be more Detroit if it tried to be in terms of its credits and its sound, so not NYC except for being distributed by Scepter.

I'd take the Andantes thing with a pinch of salt personally. The group member talks of it as possibly an 'early' session (meaning predating their Motown involvement from the gist of her comments?) when clearly from the sound of the record it's contemporary to its release, so circa 1967. It wouldn't be the first instance of a session musician refusing to deny taking part in a recording they had no connection with in actuality.

Social source share

It may have sth to do with the deal that brought jack montgomery to Scepter records. Maybe this Honey Bees recording shares the same background story...they are all FLOMAR published, the Garrison 45 is even produced by Jack Montgomery. That might explain why it has "never in a million years" on the flipside as its also the track that hits the flipside to jacks barracuda 45. no answer to the initial question who the honey bees were but maybe guiding us towards one ?

Flomar was a publishing company owned by the Scepter partners Flo Greenberg and Marv Schlacter. A number of outside masters released on Scepter and associated labels would have been published through this company as well as material recorded in New York and paid for by Greenberg on signed artists. The other common publisher credit with the Jack Montgomery / Honey Bees / Just Brothers material was Travler, named after the motel owned by Don Montgomery, the co-proprieter of the Barracuda and Empire labels.

As an aside the address of Flomar was the same as that of Scepter's recording studios at 254 W.54th Street in Manhattan. Premises which later became the famous discotheque Studio 54.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I agree with garethx, it sounds like the same singer on both sides....just singing in a more restrained style on NIAMY

The backing vocals on either side don't sound polished enough to be the Andantes to me

Nor me. I have a hard time believing that The Andantes would have recorded a couple of songs as the "feature group", under a false name, while under contract to Motown in 1966 or 1967. What would be the attraction? A one-time small fee? They couldn't tour, or appear in Detroit venues under that name. Almost NO artists received royalties during those years. None of Don Juan Mancha, Bridges, Knight & Eaton were making BIG money for the artists who recorded for them. I suspect that this group was NOT The Andantes. They don't sound like The Andantes, to me.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Nor me. I have a hard time believing that The Andantes would have recorded a couple of songs as the "feature group", under a false name, while under contract to Motown in 1966 or 1967. What would be the attraction? A one-time small fee? They couldn't tour, or appear in Detroit venues under that name. Almost NO artists received royalties during those years. None of Don Juan Mancha, Bridges, Knight & Eaton were making BIG money for the artists who recorded for them. I suspect that this group was NOT The Andantes. They don't sound like The Andantes, to me.

The only thing artists did get paid for WAS session work. They didn't get paid for their recording (someone kept the money along the chain, claiming an advance wasn't recouped). The Andantes weren't songwriters. Everyone I talked to *loved* to do session work because they got paid and they got paid right there.

Social source share

The only thing artists did get paid for WAS session work. They didn't get paid for their recording (someone kept the money along the chain, claiming an advance wasn't recouped). The Andantes weren't songwriters. Everyone I talked to *loved* to do session work because they got paid and they got paid right there.

That's very true. Nevertheless, I don't see Mancha or Bridges/Knight/Eaton using The Andantes great talent for such a great opportunity to make a hit, and then just leasing it to a miniscule New York label. The potential record sales revenues are split among them, and Garris AND Scepter-Wand (for distribution), and IF decent sales DO materialise, there is no group to sing in clubs, go on tour, etc. I just don't believe that was what happened. Maybe it would have been smart to have The Andantes record really well-made recordings with The Funk Brothers, and then use another ensemble of good non-Motown Detroit singers as the group that has interface with the public (Adorables or Debonairs or..... etc.). But I don't think that's what happened in this case. I think I've heard this Honey Bees' lead singer's voice before, but I don't recognise it as one of The Andantes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK so no definite answers yet.

We know the Garrison 45 is Detroit (not NY Marc). It's either The Andantes with a different lead or some Edwin Starr touring singers (my alternative suggestion) - Don Mancha the other writer was actually Edwin's trip manager at the time....but we're still waiting some replies. So we don't know for sure yet.

Roburt - The Honey Bees came out in Feb / March 67 time. Garrison was over by May 67.

I don't know what Flo Mar has to do with it, since that's just Scepter's publishing arm, and appeared on most Scepter distributed 45s at the time....they just put that on as many records as they could.

Onwards and upwards....

Social source share

Flomar came us as Marc identified it as a common denominator between the Jack Montgomery Scepter release and the Honey Bees on Garrison whereas the more pertinent link which ties these records plus the Just Brothers on Garrison and Empire together is Travler/Traveler Music (spelled both ways on various releases). As you point out Steve Flomar was the publisher on many Scepter Wand releases.

Social source share

Apparently, Flomar got a piece of the publishing as pay for Scepter-Wand's distributing of the Garrison record. Wasn't Johnny Terry the conduit that connected all those Detroit productions to New York labels for release? That's the way I understood that situation. Terry was listed as the producer or co-producer on the Empire, Velvet Sound, Garrison, Barracuda and Jack Montgomery Scepter and Revue records. I read quotes from some of the artists saying that Johnny Terry didn't REALLY "produce" (didn't run recording sessions), he was just the conduit through which Detroit productions by Don Mancha and Bob Hamilton, and one or two others got released on New York labels. Mancha had probably met Terry in New York, when he worked there during the early Mid '60s (Drum Records release, etc.). Does anyone know if there was really a Don Montgomery? Maybe "Don Montgomery" stands for a partnership between Don Mancha and Jack Montgomery (Marvin Jones)? Both of them were the major writers for Travler Music.

Social source share

it was pretty common for records that got picked up on major labels to have their publishing fully or half bought out by the major label's publishing. if you look at a lot of locally released 45s that got picked up by a national label and compare the two, you'll see that.

Social source share

Apparently, Flomar got a piece of the publishing as pay for Scepter-Wand's distributing of the Garrison record. Wasn't Johnny Terry the conduit that connected all those Detroit productions to New York labels for release? That's the way I understood that situation. Terry was listed as the producer or co-producer on the Empire, Velvet Sound, Garrison, Barracuda and Jack Montgomery Scepter and Revue records. I read quotes from some of the artists saying that Johnny Terry didn't REALLY "produce" (didn't run recording sessions), he was just the conduit through which Detroit productions by Don Mancha and Bob Hamilton, and one or two others got released on New York labels.

Yes this is all consistent with what I have read Robb.

Social source share

OK so no definite answers yet.

Roburt - The Honey Bees came out in Feb / March 67 time. Garrison was over by May 67.

Onwards and upwards....

Sorry Steve, I was obviously WAY OUT with my guestimate that .....

.... The Honey Bees 45 (Garrison #3005 / 50642) had to be released around MARCH to June of 1967 .....

Social source share

Flomar came us as Marc identified it as a common denominator between the Jack Montgomery Scepter release and the Honey Bees on Garrison whereas the more pertinent link which ties these records plus the Just Brothers on Garrison and Empire together is Travler/Traveler Music (spelled both ways on various releases). As you point out Steve Flomar was the publisher on many Scepter Wand releases.

yeah, and its on the Barracuda 45...

Social source share

Please Steve, if you feel the need to correct read correctly what you wanna correct before..I never said its NYC. I said its on a NYC based label...

sorry, a few of us thought your comment "rec. nyc" meant recorded there rather than released on a NY label. Ok. cool.

Social source share

I've never seen anything but the DJ copies. I can't remember seeing a Garrison stock record of ANY of their issues. I've seen about 5-6 different records on the label, and they were ALL white DJs. I have some faint memory of seeing an actual store stocker of one of them (NOT The Honeybees). It was solid yellow. Is that right, or was it just a dream?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Right so Humphrey stomp was pressed at least three times in the 60s and issues are two a penny.

Beyond that I have seen an issue of Alan Bruce, and maybe a green issue of Honey Bees (I might have dreamt that!).

All were styrene as far as I know, Scepter's favourite type of product for singles....

Steve

Social source share

Quite a bit of Scepter was on vinyl, it depended on which pressing plant they used. Also have a few Wands on vinyl. The NY stuff (including Garrison presses) was mostly styrene. I think when they got stuff pressed elsewhere - like down south - is when you tended to see the vinyl.

The Humphrey Stomp above is an issue, the stars just there too highlight the A side, not indicative of a demo.

Social source share

I got that vinyl "Humphry Stomp" in Chicagoland. So, I suspect that it was pressed in The Midwest. We had a lot of our Scepter-Wand issues on vinyl. It bears the normal Scepter-Wand press number: 50620 and 50621, but, it also has 240 on the A side, and 243 on the B side ("Can You Forgive Me). Could those small numbers be the actual pressing plant job numbers? They seem much too small to be pressing job numbers (perhaps just a pressing code number?).

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No further news from the Andantes ... but I'm still expecting responses. I think what Louvain has said so far seems to indicate none of the girls sang lead.

Last night I had a dream that it was Martha Star on lead .. not that stupid really given the Don Mancha connection .. might go and compare some songs to see if the vocals match up

Could 'we' ask Telma Hopkins or Joyce Vincent ? ,,, think they are on Facebook .. I'm not

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share