Ike Noble-Your Love

arnie j

Got mine off Tim Brown 12 month since for a pittance for such a fantastic record£20- mint and have Big,d it up ever since and rightly so but also noticed it flew out for £70 just months after even at that still think its worth the money great choice of tune Nice taste! ( Chanson)

Edited by Andy Reynard
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

hello soul people,is this album only ? heard it on mister fish new mixcloud posting (give that a listen,it knocked me about,fantastic set of records) and how much is it ? any info appreciated,tjason

Good Evening Jason

Hope yer ok Buddy.

Good shout this one - fecking awesome piece of soul music. There are a couple of mixes to this which are quite different and not sure which one Mr Fish has used - not checked out his podcast yet but will do. Here's a link to my favourite cut - I don't know the story about the different takes. I found this at my mums house - haven't a clue where it came from!

Peter

:thumbsup::g:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I have the timeless lp and the connowil 45, they are completely different recordings. Not heard the chanson version unless its one of these, but both versions I have have backing singers on, but not the same ones!

the album is smoother and sounds like a later production, they're both on youtube to compare.

much prefer the 45 version personally

The 'fresh start' lp is £££ i believe, assume thats probably the connowil take, but guessing

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

so reading back there's 3 at least

chanson - no backing

connowil - rawer version with backing

'fresh start' lp - assume its the same as connowil 45 from the soundclip on youtube

then after these

timeless lp - smoother version with backing

?

cheers Sutty

Social source share

I'm still none the

My chanson version has no backing singers the conowil version has and I've had mi first drink in 6 week Peter getting Ready for Just Soul Retford And listened to Ike Noble Half an hour afore Arnie posted

Still don't get it Andy - sorry. The link I posted up has backing vocals and is smoother - that is the record I have. The other version - on Mr Fish's podcast and also on tinternet is very different but also has backing vocals. So - which one have I got and is there another version without any backing vocals?

Social source share

I'm still none the

Still don't get it Andy - sorry. The link I posted up has backing vocals and is smoother - that is the record I have. The other version - on Mr Fish's podcast and also on tinternet is very different but also has backing vocals. So - which one have I got and is there another version without any backing vocals?

Lonely people album track is very similar Peter if not the same as the chanson cut .maybe three can't compare as not got Album n very busy searching for hidden gemms n cheap

Neck-Tinglers like everyone should be IMHO (Thumbs up!!)

Edited by Andy Reynard
Social source share

Wow, fabulous track, I'm gonna get me one of those... Always liked his 'It's Bad' on Alley, which is very good and very cheap..

Mal

Good double sider too Mal ... not sure its less than a £50 record these days though ???

Social source share

Shouldn't be more than £50 - £60 I wouldn't have thought Jason, may be cheaper. It's the flip to his version of Stevie's 'Another Star' and it's a good version. It's on Connowil label also.

Jordi

Mine is on Chanson with Your love has got gusto on flip. Was there 2 presses on Chanson(the plot thickens) Or is another star on

Connowil label Jordi?

Edited by Hammersoul
Social source share

Mine is on Chanson with Your love has got gusto on flip. Was there 2 presses on Chanson(the plot thickens) Or is another star on

Connowil label Jordi?

Mines on Connowil with 'Another Star' as the A side. I have to say that I prefer the Connowil version of 'Your Love', it's not as smooth, the strings sound warmer and it's got a better head nodding bass groove. IMHO. I didn't realise that there were two different mixes until this thread, although I did know about the two different labels.

Jordi

Social source share

Mines on Connowil with 'Another Star' as the A side. I have to say that I prefer the Connowil version of 'Your Love', it's not as smooth, the strings sound warmer and it's got a better head nodding bass groove. IMHO. I didn't realise that there were two different mixes until this thread, although I did know about the two different labels.

Jordi

You're probably right Jordi. The Chanson and Connowil versions are similar except the latter has lusher strings & has some lovely backing vocals.

Chanson is almost like stripped backed leaner animal and the 3rd version on Timeless is an almost bluesy affair.

So in conclusion I'd rate them:-

1) Connowil Lp or 45

2) Chanson 45

3) Timeless lp

Social source share

Jordi

Must admit i never knew this had 2 presses/mixs till Bob Smith played it on radio last week(he played Connowil version)Will check out clip of Connowil and get back to ya with my verdict :g: .

Social source share

Finally got round to playing all the versions and here`s my view for what it`s worth:

1/Chanson: Much rawer/more soulful/gritty plus it has the better b-side then Connowill 45.

2/Connowil Lp or 45 Not heard rest of lp so can`t comment.

3/Timeless. 3rd press/uk press so not worth mentioning lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Finally got round to playing all the versions and here`s my view for what it`s worth:

1/Chanson: Much rawer/more soulful/gritty plus it has the better b-side then Connowill 45.

2/Connowil Lp or 45 Not heard rest of lp so can`t comment.

3/Timeless. 3rd press/uk press so not worth mentioning lol

Wayne..... Hope you're well old chap ! I have the Conowill 45 , I'll be honest,I can't see see what all the fuss is about with any of the versions,all distinctly average in my opinion...I'm sure it's only a talking point due to its sudden price increase. No change there then... I would take issue with the Uk Lp of being no interest though ! For you maybe but I think "lonely people" is rather excellent and if it saves having to spend heapes on a US "original" pressing when the UK one was a legally licesened affair then what gives ? Plus,it's probably a superior pressing anyway if the normal US indies are anything to go by.. Utter madness if you ask me ! This is Northern Soul indeed !

Social source share

Wayne..... Hope you're well old chap ! I have the Conowill 45 , I'll be honest,I can't see see what all the fuss is about with any of the versions,all distinctly average in my opinion...I'm sure it's only a talking point due to its sudden price increase. No change there then... I would take issue with the Uk Lp of being no interest though ! For you maybe but I think "lonely people" is rather excellent and if it saves having to spend heapes on a US "original" pressing when the UK one was a legally licesened affair then what gives ? Plus,it's probably a superior pressing anyway if the normal US indies are anything to go by.. Utter madness if you ask me ! This is Northern Soul indeed !

Hi Ivor,yea well thx,was good to have a chat at 100 club last month,hope your well? Personally i really rate this song but each to there own.I can see your point re the uk pressing and would agree that sound wise might be better on u.k going by other records in the pass. Sadly i have the OVO bug/Disease and when it comes to logic/common sense,all goes out the window :hypo::sweatingbullets: .

Social source share

• 6 years later...

After doing some research (Nothing much was known about Ike) I found this information, His real name was

Izear Noble Jr., 58, passed away June 3, 2007 at St. Charles Hospital. Born on November 2, 1948 in Little Rock, AR, he was a member of New Hope Baptist Church. A talented musician and singer, he performed in Toledo area night clubs, as well as those in Michigan and other parts of Ohio

He performed with The Up Tights formed in Forrest City, Arkansas, USA in March of 1967. They recorded for Joe Lee's Alley records and he released 2 45s in the late 1960s from the sessions.

Ike appeared on many labels but released many of his 1980's tunes on this label Connowil 

Ike.jpg

Ike.jpg

Noble.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Image of release
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!