Majestics Or David And Ruben

Peter99

Guest uroffal

is it me or does there seem to be an awful lot of linda copies kickin around at the moment.. everytime time i look on usa ebay there one for sale... always fetch a lot of money tho 

There always seems to have been loads - I had at least three (1 issue and two demos) when I was trading on here and ebay around 2003/4 and there seemed to be a never ending supply of them knocking around on ebay - The David and Ruben issue is by far the hardest to obtain INMHO.

Social source share

Good thread fellows. A mint demo on Linda fell through the letter box this week so I'm liking the discussion. The styrene format of Linda is a let down if you have held the vinyl Warner Brothers edition. Now looking for a lovely blue Rampart issue as my demo is a bit crackly. The horns intro of the Majestics has to be the clincher making this one of the most recognisable tunes, and a great one at that.

Social source share

is it me or does there seem to be an awful lot of linda copies kickin around at the moment.. everytime time i look on usa ebay there one for sale... always fetch a lot of money tho 

Eye Spy badge for Mr Pinch there. Lots of copies have come to market recently, usually keenly faught over and prices creeping up regardless of condition hence my recent plunge into the market. Expect supplies to dry up sharply if trends in the US eBay record field are anything to go by.

Social source share

There always seems to have been loads - I had at least three (1 issue and two demos) when I was trading on here and ebay around 2003/4 and there seemed to be a never ending supply of them knocking around on ebay - The David and Ruben issue is by far the hardest to obtain INMHO.

this is true but its that common at the moment its almost like goin to the shop to buy a new release..only with inflation the price is the sticking point... the rampart and warner bros 45s are much rarer in 2014

Social source share

Guest uroffal

this is true but its that common at the moment its almost like goin to the shop to buy a new release..only with inflation the price is the sticking point... the rampart and warner bros 45s are much rarer in 2014

The price on it is astonishing but always managed to fetch far more than the D&R Rampart one - I has a white demo of that which achieved £200 (some years ago) but all the three of the Majestics copies I had reached £250+ (the issue considerably more over £350 I think).

What was the last price achieved on a Rampart issue? That would be interesting as I don't recall seeing one for sale for a very long time! 

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

The price on it is astonishing but always managed to fetch far more than the D&R Rampart one - I has a white demo of that which achieved £200 (some years ago) but all the three of the Majestics copies I had reached £250+ (the issue considerably more over £350 I think).

What was the last price achieved on a Rampart issue? That would be interesting as I don't recall seeing one for sale for a very long time! 

pat brady had a rampart w/d up for auction..it stood at £450 coming into the last few hrs as of yesterday.. not sure if its sold at that tho 

Social source share

Good thread fellows. A mint demo on Linda fell through the letter box this week so I'm liking the discussion. The styrene format of Linda is a let down if you have held the vinyl Warner Brothers edition. Now looking for a lovely blue Rampart issue as my demo is a bit crackly.

The release on LINDA from 1965 is pressed on vinyl, not styrene.

As mentioned many times before, both the RAMPART and WARNER BROS releases are reissues from 1969 issued in conjunction with a "greatest hits" package called "Golden Treasures Volume Two: West Coast East Side Revue".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As mentioned many times before, both the RAMPART and WARNER BROS releases are reissues from 1969 issued in conjunction with a "greatest hits" package called "Golden Treasures Volume Two: West Coast East Side Revue".

Cheers Seb. Just checked the copy again and hooray, you've made my evening, it's made of vinyl. Must've been the delta mark that threw me...

Social source share

my rampart w/d is vinyl not styrene.... and i will point out that while they are reissues the rampart & warner bros 45s are only reissues in the sense like frank beverly on rouser and not done for any uk scene....and are quite valid

Social source share

I thought it was just me thinking that and the rest of the world loves it :huh:

So what's wrong with this slice of music? The vast majority of the world are oblivious to it. Only the fortunate few will ever get to hear it, let alone own a copy (or three as some of us do) and I suspect the vast majority of Northern followers would give it a mark above 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is as good as it gets).

Social source share

So what's wrong with this slice of music? The vast majority of the world are oblivious to it. Only the fortunate few will ever get to hear it, let alone own a copy (or three as some of us do) and I suspect the vast majority of Northern followers would give it a mark above 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is as good as it gets).

Frank (ly speaking), i get dismissed with REAL soul music namely Tommy Dent, Lester Tipton by some members, being as you've asked then to be honest i find it awful, that bloody trumpet at the start grates with me.... sorry Frank 0 out of 10 so don't be sad or angry :)

Social source share

Frank (ly speaking), i get dismissed with REAL soul music namely Tommy Dent, Lester Tipton by some members, being as you've asked then to be honest i find it awful, that bloody trumpet at the start grates with me.... sorry Frank 0 out of 10 so don't be sad or angry :)

So what mark would you give to David and Reuben if it's the first dozen notes of the Majestics that ruin it for you? The intro to Lester Tipton sounds like a lawnmower starting up but the rest of the track is pretty decent, maybe a 7 perhaps...

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Social source share

So what mark would you give to David and Reuben if it's the first dozen notes of the Majestics that ruin it for you? The intro to Lester Tipton sounds like a lawnmower starting up but the rest of the track is pretty decent, mane a 7 perhaps...

Ha ha. David and Reuben... ok, i'll give it 1 out of 10, but only for the intro, they are still both wishy washy. Lester... 11 out of 10 :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest uroffal

pat brady had a rampart w/d up for auction..it stood at £450 coming into the last few hrs as of yesterday.. not sure if its sold at that tho 

Must have gone as can't see it on there now. Interesting to see him auctioning that Insights record though - I had one of these years ago and couldn't shift it - it's tough to find as well!

Clearly should have hung on to my WD of D&R  :facepalm: was one of the records that, during the early '80s, got me started - still love it now

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Good morning all, I am sure that Gene had a blue and white Rampart copy for sale several years ago which hopefully Gene can shed some more light on. it included scans of the label or am i losing it?

regards Harry

You're right Harry - I auctioned my copy in 2009 when I sold up.  From memory, I think it went for about £380.   

It was the issue I had in my collection since 1985 - at the time, I bought it from Rampart collector Graham Anthony of Chaddesden for £35.   This was at a time when both the Linda issue and demo sold for about £30. Even with selling up, I was still kinda reluctant to part with this, but at the time, "needs must" as they say!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest uroffal

You're right Harry - I auctioned my copy in 2009 when I sold up.  From memory, I think it went for about £380.   

It was the issue I had in my collection since 1985 - at the time, I bought it from Rampart collector Graham Anthony of Chaddesden for £35.   This was at a time when both the Linda issue and demo sold for about £30. Even with selling up, I was still kinda reluctant to part with this, but at the time, "needs must" as they say!

Hope you are well mate? Had no idea you had this back then! If we only knew then what we know now eh ...

Social source share

Hope you are well mate? Had no idea you had this back then! If we only knew then what we know now eh ...

Hey Gary,

All is well here thanks!  You didn't know I had this?  I could have sworn you were with Matt Simpson and myself at a pub in Kings Cross around 1986, when Matt was going through my records and asked me how much I paid for it!  Maybe not?

Good to hear from you, and glad to see you're still around.

All the best,

Gene

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Hey Gary,

All is well here thanks!  You didn't know I had this?  I could have sworn you were with Matt Simpson and myself at a pub in Kings Cross around 1986, when Matt was going through my records and asked me how much I paid for it!  Maybe not?

Good to hear from you, and glad to see you're still around.

All the best,

Gene

Glad to hear you are well mate :thumbsup: . My memory is shot to pieces I'm afraid so you're more than likely right about that ! Speak to Matt regularly of FB not sure if he's on here though.

Still around but living in the Midlands now.

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!