Eggborough 13/10/12

Here is my playlist, not necessarily all in the right order.

Follow Your Heart - Bunny Sigler - Parkway

I Need You - Shane Martin - Epic

This Man - Wally Cox - Scepter (Argentina)

You've Been A Long Time Coming - Mitchell Braithwaite - ABC Probe (DJ)

Somebody, Somewhere Needs You - Ike and Tina Turner - Warner Brothers (DJ)

He Broke Your Game Wide Open - Frank Dell - Valise Records

Fool To Fool - Shep - TNT (DJ)

I Watched You Slowly Slip Away - Lou Courtney - Phillips (3rd Take)

Way Over There - Edwin Star - Tamla Motown

I Can't Seem To Get You Out of My Mind - Four Tops - Tamla Motown

Running Back And Forth - Edwin Star - Tamla Motown

People That's Why - Idle Few - Blue Book

I Only Get This Feeling - Chuck Jackson - ABC

In The Long Run - Curtis Blandon - Wand (DJ)

Let's Spend Some Time Together - Larry Houston - HFMP

Somebody I Know - Wales Wallace - BRC

I'll Be Around - Doug Parkinson - Southern Star

Like Her - Gentlemen and Their Lady - Roulette (DJ)

Captain of My Ship - Seventh Wonder - WG

I Surrender - Eddie Holman - ABC

Sensitive Mind General Assembly - Desiree (DJ)

My Heart Needs A Break - Linda Jones - Loma.

Cheers Jimmy

Edited by jimmyw
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

CLASSIC OLDIES SPOT 11-12pm

TOMMY NEAL ......................................GOING TO A HAPPENING..........UK VOCATION

RIGHT TRACK.........................................BILLY BUTLER.............................OKEH

JUST A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS........NEW YOUNGHEARTS........SOULTOWN

SWEET DARLIN'....................................JIMMY SOUL CLARK............SOULHAWK

DUST MY BROOM................................IKE & TINA TURNER....................TANGERINE DEMO

YOUVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG........ANN SEXTON............(Yellow)SEVENTY SEVEN (cant afford first issue)

DEARLY BELOVED..............................JACK MONTGOMERY......SCEPTER

YOUVE BEEN LEADING ME ON..........STEINWAYS.............OLIVER

COME ON AND STOP .........................MARV JOHNSON...............UA

I'M THE MAN........................................ALBERT WASHINGTON..............FRATERNITY DEMO

CAUSE' YOUR MINE..........................VIBRATIONS....................EPIC

I'M GONE............................................BILLY SHA-RAE..............VOGUE

(JUST A LITTLE) FAITH & UNDERSTANDING...............MAGICIANS..............KENT

IF YOU LOVED ME..............................PEGGY MARCH....................RCA

THAT'S MY GIRL.................................DEE CLARK......................CONSTELLATION

MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU.............PORGY & MONARCHS.....MUSICOR

I NEED A HELPING HAND.................SERVICEMEN.................PATHWAY

YOU DONT LOVE ME.........................EPITOME OF SOUND........SANDBAG

(I LOVE HER SO MUCH) IT HURTS ME..............DAVID & RUBEN......WARNER BROS. DEMO

I'LL HOLD YOU...................................FRANKIE & JOHNNY.................HICKORY

SWEETER THAN THE DAY BEFORE............VALENTINOS...............CHESS DEMO

WHEN WE GET THERE....................PAUL ANKA...............RCA

OOH BOY...........................................ADORABLES............GOLDEN WORLD

YOU GET YOUR KICKS....................MITCH RYDER..........NEW VOICE

Edited by Dave West
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Here is my playlist, not necessarily all in the right order.

Follow Your Heart - Bunny Sigler - Parkway

I Need You - Shane Martin - Epic

This Man - Wally Cox - Scepter (Argentina)

You've Been A Long Time Coming - Mitchell Braithwaite - ABC Probe (DJ)

Somebody, Somewhere Needs You - Ike and Tina Turner - Warner Brothers (DJ)

He Broke Your Game Wide Open - Frank Dell - Valise Records

Fool To Fool - Shep - TNT (DJ)

I Watched You Slowly Slip Away - Lou Courtney - Phillips (3rd Take)

Way Over There - Edwin Star - Tamla Motown

I Can't Seem To Get You Out of My Mind - Four Tops - Tamla Motown

Running Back And Forth - Edwin Star - Tamla Motown

People That's Why - Idle Few

I Only Get This Feeling - Chuck Jackson - ABC

In The Long Run - Curtis Blandon - Wand (DJ)

Let's Spend Some Time Together - Larry Houston - HFMP

Somebody I Know - Wales Wallace - BRC

I'll Be Around - Doug Parkinson - Southern Star

Like Her - Gentlemen and Their Lady - Roulette (DJ)

Captain of My Ship - Seventh Wonder - WG

I Surrender - Eddie Holman - ABC

Sensitive Mind General Assembly - Desiree (DJ)D

My Heart Needs A Break - Linda Jones - Loma.

Cheers Jimmy

Nice set there Jimmy.

In The Long Run - Curtis Blandon.

Shame it doesn't get played more, you rarely here it nowadays.

Bridgey

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice oldies set Dave, including a few forgotten oldies that you don't hear every week.

You said you couldn't afford an Original Ann Sexton on 77. Yours is the "Yellow" first issue.. So, you have one.. LOL

Bridgey

thanks for the comments about my set but...

sorry Bridgey but the original is on IMPEL hardly ever seen and £500+ :yes:

cheers Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Enjoyed Saturday night was a change for us 1st time,and was shocked to see all them people in at just gone 8pm !!! a really nice large dance floor,nice smiling welcome from the hosts,and x the board music,was nice to see all soulies from the around the countys,too many to mention you know who you all are ??.will be back again for another dose hopefully this year, :hatsoff2: to the promoters a really nice dancers venue.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thanks for the comments about my set but...

sorry Bridgey but the original is on IMPEL hardly ever seen and £500+ :yes:

cheers Dave

I would agree with Bridgey mate.You are correct in saying the first was the rare local release on IMPEL.However the one most people play is the yellow Seventy Seven which is the original national release,and is the one you have.Later reissued on multi couloured seventy seven

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice oldies set Dave, including a few forgotten oldies that you don't hear every week.

You said you couldn't afford an Original Ann Sexton on 77. Yours is the "Yellow" first issue.. So, you have one.. LOL

Bridgey

Yes Bridgey 1st issue 77 but actual 1st issue was on Impel 101.

Spot. :shades:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would agree with Bridgey mate.You are correct in saying the first was the rare local release on IMPEL.However the one most people play is the yellow Seventy Seven which is the original national release,and is the one you have.Later reissued on multi couloured seventy seven

Patto that's a little back to front, just because people don't know it was first released on IMPEL doesn't mean the second release can become the first release, therefore if you only know the multi coloured release does that make it the first issue? Also what about Ivories on Wand/Despanza or Just Brothers on Lu Pine/Music Merchant or Nolan Chance on Bunky/Constellation etc. I know which ones I'd sooner have. :g:

Edited by spot
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Patto that's a little back to front, just because people don't know it was first released on IMPEL doesn't mean the second release can become the first release, therefore if you only know the multi coloured release does that make it the first issue? Also what about Ivories on Wand/Despanza or Just Brothers on Lu Pine/Music Merchant or Nolan Chance on Bunky/Constellation etc. I know which ones I'd sooner have. :g:

Ayup Spot, Hope all's well mate, not seen you for a while.

Good point by the way. I have Nolan Chance on Constellation and play it with pride, however, if you know the person that has the Bunky copy.... Ask do they want to swap with me..LOL, LOL.

Take Care, hopefully catch up soon,

Bridgey... :thumbsup:

Social source share

No spot i accept the IMPEL is the first release.But the Yellow Seventy Seven is still an Original national release so no problem playing it.I think in Daves set he also played The New younghearts on soultown which was released after the Canterbury ones but the soultown one is still an original is it not.Yes its great to own the first releases or Demos of any record but just thought maybee the same as Bridgey that Dave had no need to flag up his Ann Sexton because there is nowt wrong with it

Social source share

I agree Patto, just from here your argument was a bit lop sided if that makes sense btw I know a "Dj" that was offered a New Younghearts & refused even though I explained it wasn't a boot, he wouldn't believe me & went on to buy a Canterbury boot, anyway I know Dave & Bridgey have only OV not like a lot who have boots or carvers btw Bridgey Nolan Chance on Bunky didn't even do a grand I think but I've seen 2 Just Bros on Lu Pine do almost 2 grand each, must be nice to have money. :g::hatsoff2:

Social source share

I agree Patto, just from here your argument was a bit lop sided if that makes sense btw I know a "Dj" that was offered a New Younghearts & refused even though I explained it wasn't a boot, he wouldn't believe me & went on to buy a Canterbury boot, anyway I know Dave & Bridgey have only OV not like a lot who have boots or carvers btw Bridgey Nolan Chance on Bunky didn't even do a grand I think but I've seen 2 Just Bros on Lu Pine do almost 2 grand each, must be nice to have money. :g::hatsoff2:

Hi Pete

the last two Just Bros i sold on Lupine only went for about £350 each. Paul

Social source share

Nice one Spot we are basically in the same O.V camp mate,its great talkin about records.By the way i own the New Younghearts and prefere it as the recording sounds more dynamic than the cantebury one and i think its a bit harder to find and i would never swap it for a canterbury one.I think a lot of DJs over the years have played this on the Canterbury lookalike boot

Social source share

Tis true, but it can sometimes limit what you got in your box, but would rather have 10 originals then 100 boots (unless i was a centepede) :yes::P:hatsoff2:

Social source share

No spot i accept the IMPEL is the first release.But the Yellow Seventy Seven is still an Original national release so no problem playing it.I think in Daves set he also played The New younghearts on soultown which was released after the Canterbury ones but the soultown one is still an original is it not.Yes its great to own the first releases or Demos of any record but just thought maybee the same as Bridgey that Dave had no need to flag up his Ann Sexton because there is nowt wrong with it

I could have put Younghearts Canterbury in my listing as I know thats first issue , but why lie. :hypocrite:

Edited by Dave West
Social source share

Tis true, but it can sometimes limit what you got in your box, but would rather have 10 originals then 100 boots (unless i was a centepede) :yes::P:hatsoff2:

Why should it limit what you have in your box ? I assume you mean you can't afford the top end stuff (not many can) but there are hundreds/thousands at the cheaper end which are just as good & so much that simply never gets played giving you the chance to play little heard stuff. Of course depends what sort of night you're DJing at I guess but even if it's an obvious oldies thing there's still plenty of cheapish stuff there to pick up.

Edited by SHSDave
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Why should it limit what you have in your it box ? I assume you mean you can't afford the top end stuff (not many can) but there are hundreds/thousands at the cheaper end which are just as good & so much that simply never gets played giving you the chance to play little heard stuff. Of course depends what sort of night you're DJing at I guess but even if it's an obvious oldies thing there's still plenty of cheapish stuff there to pick up.

Please dont assume you know my finances, i said "it can sometimes limit what you got in your box" NOT what i have in my box or what I can or cannot afford.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I could have put Younghearts Canterbury in my listing as I know thats first issue , but why lie. :hypocrite:

I prefere the Soultown release Dave,its still an original,its sound quality is better,its harder to find than the canterbury ones,and it looks fantastic too.judging by your playlist you have plenty of meat in your box.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Yeh got a few bits Jeanette Williams, Arabians, Malibus, etc etc . but,you know,we got wot we got, and a wants list a mile long.

Dave

Dave,

My wants list changes every other week... LOL.

I have a day dream wants list and a reality one... LOL.

Bridgey

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes Bridgey 1st issue 77 but actual 1st issue was on Impel 101.

When a big label picks up a small labels product for national disribution, the big label issues are still regarded as original releases.

They are part of the same promotion.

Example:- Formations on Bank then M.G.M. both originals.

Ann Sexton on yellow Seventy 7 was also on a white demo Seventy 7, so it was a proper release.

Social source share

When a big label picks up a small labels product for national disribution, the big label issues are still regarded as original releases.

They are part of the same promotion.

Example:- Formations on Bank then M.G.M. both originals.

Ann Sexton on yellow Seventy 7 was also on a white demo Seventy 7, so it was a proper release.

Who's rule is that then? Because I've never heard it, I'm not saying it's not true, just that I've never heard it said in 40 years, I always thought the 1st issue was the original, oh and just as an aside I actually said "First issue" & never mentioned "Original", that was Bridgey replying to Dave Boogaloo, I don't understand what white demo's have to do with making it an original. :g:

Social source share

as I see it the term in northern soul circles "original" usually refers to the first issue of a record. If that record is then picked up by a major distributor it may be remade and distributed and is therefore an legitamate release but would in "pure" terms be classed as a second issue / release as apposed to an illegal unauthorized bootleg release.

How pure actual OVO is in clubs is debateable and argueable and personally as long as its not a boot I dont care.

belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something, or to a thing at its beginning: The book still has its original binding.

new; fresh; inventive; novel: an original way of advertising.

arising or proceeding independently of anything else: an original view of history.

capable of or given to thinking or acting in an independent, creative, or individual manner: an original thinker.

created, undertaken, or presented for the first time: to give the original performance of a string quartet.

Edited by Dave West
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!