Original Vinyl Only Do..not Quite

redcoupe

went to a local soul/northern do at weekend,place packed dancefloor full most of night,everybody enjoying themselves still full hour after last record,but heres the catch,wasnt actually records???? all done on laptop behind [what would be record decks],podium flat screen showing photos soul images ect,apart from no actual vynil all very proffessional....so why am i still bemused by it and scratching my head at the thought of it,weddings mobile djs yes..but are laptops ok for local do,s?????are there any more such venues out there..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

went to a local soul/northern do at weekend,place packed dancefloor full most of night,everybody enjoying themselves still full hour after last record,but heres the catch,wasnt actually records???? all done on laptop behind [what would be record decks],podium flat screen showing photos soul images ect,apart from no actual vynil all very proffessional....so why am i still bemused by it and scratching my head at the thought of it,weddings mobile djs yes..but are laptops ok for local do,s?????are there any more such venues out there..

It was nice to see you there mate, unfortunatly i didn`t get much time to chat to you as you were busy dancing allnight :lol: :lol: As you know it`s very local to us, nobody travelled hundreds of miles to get there, it wasn`t advertised on here, and it was £2 to get in. It was full to the brim and the people really looked like they were enjoying themselves, i left at 9pm, had a load of travelling to do on the saturday morning. As i say i tried to say goodbye but you were busy on the dancefloor :lol: :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It was nice to see you there mate, unfortunatly i didn`t get much time to chat to you as you were busy dancing allnight :lol: :lol: As you know it`s very local to us, nobody travelled hundreds of miles to get there, it wasn`t advertised on here, and it was £2 to get in. It was full to the brim and the people really looked like they were enjoying themselves, i left at 9pm, had a load of travelling to do on the saturday morning. As i say i tried to say goodbye but you were busy on the dancefloor :lol: :lol:

hands up, i had a few drinks,and did enjoy the night out,its the format im not sure about,as for the dancing i cant remember...lol
Social source share

problem is if theres a nite on (especially in a recession) within say 50 miles of a 'proper' nite where the promoter is paying djs who have searched for something and paid for something different,that nite could then close..and its nites/djs and record dealers who have found recent tunes such as kindly sheppherds,jt parker,parliaments,bev savage etc that give the lap top/cd clubs something to play other than the obvious....

if all the ovo nites finish in 10 years time... the only nites left will all be playing the same old...too many doing that already IMO...couldnt take another 10 years of it...

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Now what I like about a night like this is the Bootleg boys will all be running around saying you cant do this its got to be real vynil not laptops- The same people who were slagging off us OVO people - Hypocrisy is the word I use.

Serious question - is this the way forward and will real (OVO vynil) be for collectors only in the future and will this have na impact on prices and guides.

I wonder what Styrene Hiss sounds like on a laptop? :lol:

Just thought we will now have to have subsections in the events forums 1. OVO night 2. Boots and OVO night3 Boots night 4. CD night 5. Laptops and MP3 night :thumbup:

Edited by Ernie Andrews
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

.... went to a local soul/northern do at weekend, place packed dancefloor full most of night, everybody enjoying themselves still full hour after last record ...........

So the place was buzzing & everyone there had a great time. Loads of people still there way after the last record was spun, so obviously a great 'social' event.

So WTF does it matter one jot what format the music was played off.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

if all the ovo nites finish in 10 years time... the only nites left will all be playing the same old...too many doing that already IMO...couldnt take another 10 years of it...

...if that were to happen it would prove only that the majority of people care more of having a good time in the now...only supposition I know but you couldn't blame 'em really, could you?

:wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

.... went to a local soul/northern do at weekend, place packed dancefloor full most of night, everybody enjoying themselves still full hour after last record ...........

So the place was buzzing & everyone there had a great time. Loads of people still there way after the last record was spun, so obviously a great 'social' event.

So WTF does it matter one jot what format the music was played off.

myself included enjoyed the night but the format for a northern/soul night was new to me ,hence the question....
Social source share

Guest kev such

Went to a night about 5 years ago and when we walked in the geezer on the stage had a laptop set up. Just as we were walking straight back out his Mrs came up to us and said please dont ask for requests as her old man ( who was on the stage) was dyslexic and couldnt read the titles or artists but knew where each track was in conjunction to the previous track he'd played. A friend of his had downloaded them for him.

You couldnt make it up.

Regards

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

i reckon it would be a nightmare trying to find tracks though ....... none of that flicking through your record box. just on a screen.

You're right it is, I've used the Traktor digital system on the House scene in the past and you don't realise how much you rely on visual markers - colours, design etc to quickly pick up on what you are looking for,

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Crazy it might be to you, but its what the original scene was built around, so your either the real deal or your not, simple really. I personally will never knowinngly attend an event that aint playing music from the original format of release. Its folk like you Roburt that dont actually attend events (?) & constantly add fuel to the fire with your comments, that encourage others to follow the 'dont give a sh*t attitude' when it comes to doin the right thing....go Google that & cut n paste an answer :lol: .

Best Russ

.... its what the original scene was built around .....

Which original scene was that then, coz the scene in 1966/67/68/69 didn't care 1% about OV.

So which scene are you on about that's more original that what took place in soul's glory years !!

..... AND ... to answer your snide remark about me no longer going to soul venues ....

the last time I attended a soul do was as long ago as ... errmmm ... yesterday.

Social source share

i attended the said same do!!, basically to support them in thier first soul nite & put some flyers out for our northern soul nite( easington welfare soul in county durham)

it was a canny nite, full of locals enjoying themselves who could'nt give a natts arse what format it was on.. there was one deck, a comp & cd decks,& a tv screen in front of the wholse system... i personally was'nt that bothered about listening to soul off c/d as i am a modern soul lad, & knew what kind of a nite it was gonna be & what format they were gonna use,, but then i realised when a load of ian lavine's mixed up., "want for a better word soul tunes" came on, i was actually watching the artists miming along to them on the tv screen ( the same ones you can watch on utube)..

i would'nt read into to it as a pure northern soul nite , more as local do for local people & they loved it.. there is nowt wrong with people enjoying themselves is there..especially in these shit times..

Edited by soulie80
Social source share

Which original scene was that then, coz the scene in 1966/67/68/69 didn't care 1% about OV.

So which scene are you on about that's more original that what took place in soul's glory years !!

..... AND ... to answer your snide remark about me no longer going to soul venues ....

The Wheel no doubt....over & out....have every respect for your great contributions on SS but strongly disagree with your opinions on this subject, so will not pursue it any further....BTW the comment was not snide, it was a question, which you answered, but pretty much as I thought from your reply.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We had a couple of local do's here (Louth, Lincs) and the first was CD only and was left on play so we heard it twice!!!

The Second was Vinyl and CD and got a call at 4pm that day , could I bring some 45's up , so spent ages sorting a box full out , as you do (not being a DJ) got there and still playing CD's and was then told the decks weren't working (Yeah Right!).

Basically saying why should a local ex POP DJ be playing stuff off CD Comps which we all know cost £2.99ish , when I've paid (not lots) but good hard earned cash on a lot of the stuff he was CDing, sorry in my eyes it's wrong :yes:

Cheers Moaning Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mcblade

I've attended 4 do's over weekend 3 OV - 1 CD/MP3 - Quite honestly not bothered what format, naturally I feel for those that shell out on OV but times move on, technology, phones, laptops, fashion. There are those that like wearing flares, badges, white socks, beer towels, braces etc like the 'Good Old Days' and that's there choice, equally a collector that buys OV chooses to spend their disposable income on that,others choose to spend theirs on other things, maybe football, beer, clothes, fishing cars.

In my opinion (and don't think because I've only a few posts that I'm new to the scene), I want to hear a variety of music, cross the board, bit of Souldies, Crossover, Modern and if a DJ can generate an atmosphere by playing moving soul, then thumbs up. Seems to me that certain opinion is the best DJ is one with the most money or disposable income, if that's the case then that is a deluded opinion...and Russ, i thought it was quite a snide remark but please don't boot me off for being impartial observer...could debate this all day long but it would seem that the OV supporters are not willing to flex one iota

Edited by mcblade
Social source share

The thing is; those that care about original vinyl (and I'm one) have a scene that caters for that. If people want to run nights playing mp3s and people attend that just want to hear the music - so what?

I'm not bothered that people like the music and don't care about the format, its entirely their choice. Personally I'd want to hear someone play records from their collection but I don't see why I should force this opinion onto people who don't see it that way.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've attended 4 do's over weekend 3 OV - 1 CD/MP3 - Quite honestly not bothered what format, naturally I feel for those that shell out on OV but times move on, technology, phones, laptops, fashion. There are those that like wearing flares, badges, white socks, beer towels, braces etc like the 'Good Old Days' and that's there choice, equally a collector that buys OV chooses to spend their disposable income on that,others choose to spend theirs on other things, maybe football, beer, clothes, fishing cars.

In my opinion (and don't think because I've only a few posts that I'm new to the scene), I want to hear a variety of music, cross the board, bit of Souldies, Crossover, Modern and if a DJ can generate an atmosphere by playing moving soul, then thumbs up. Seems to me that certain opinion is the best DJ is one with the most money or disposable income, if that's the case then that is a deluded opinion...and Russ, i thought it was quite a snide remark but please don't boot me off for being impartial observer...could debate this all day long but it would seem that the OV supporters are not willing to flex one iota

:lol: No mate, it's your incorrect clothing description that makes me think you're new to the scene. You don't work for Ipso Facto do ya? :P

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Difinitive answer , you can stare all day at a print of the Mona Lisa it will register the same visual message in your brain as the original would but............. it lacks providence , history and a tangible link to the artist in short it lacks soul . :g:

Well thats my view anyway .

Best post I have read on this OVO subject for a long time. Couldn't agree more.

I would go further and say that MP3s in my opinion smacks of a lack of imagination and credibility. Plus, to my ears, MP3's have an inferior sound quality when compared to original vinyl, with a lack of atmospheric crackles pops and hiss. Same goes for bootlegs.

For me MP3's should be used as they were intended for portable personal use or archiving and not on the bigger stage.

Personally, I would not knowingly attend such a night. Each to their own though.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!