Eddie Regan - Playin' Hide And Seek - Info Required

Supercorsa

Has Eddie Regan - Playin' Hide And Seek (ABC) been booted, other than the UK release in the 70's with The Sapphires on the other side?

Just that I've bought a white demo, thinking it's an original, but now I have my doubts.

It has ABC 13095 scratched into the run out, but when I compared it to The Spindles Ten Shades (Demo) & Impressions Cheat And Lie (Stock), they both have Bell Sound stamp in the run out as well, where as that's missing from the Eddie Regan.

Any info would be appreciated :hatsoff2: .

Social source share

It was booted at the same time and by the same people who did the Yum Yums on a very convincing ABC demo. My mate was done with at the time, found out a few months later and was so gutted. It's on vinyl, and if I remember there is a little label fade on it near the titles, might be wrong, have a look closely at the run off and see if it's slightly pitted, little dots in the vinyl.

Social source share

I didn't realise it had been booted, thanks Pete.

I have a demo, I bought from Tim Brown on a list this year. It's vinyl, had no spots/pitting in the run out and NO machine stamped matrix/number.

Print is nice and sharp.

Just checked popsike and saw this ABC demo rather than the usual (which I have) ABC Paramount. This is apparently styrene.

Kev Bod.

Social source share

I didn't realise it had been booted, thanks Pete.

I have a demo, I bought from Tim Brown on a list this year. It's vinyl, had no spots/pitting in the run out and NO machine stamped matrix/number.

Print is nice and sharp.

Just checked popsike and saw this ABC demo rather than the usual (which I have) ABC Paramount. This is apparently styrene.

Kev Bod.

That one in the picture is pretty unusual, in fact not sure I've ever seen that before.

Social source share

It was booted at the same time and by the same people who did the Yum Yums on a very convincing ABC demo.

Did they also do the Reflections', 'Like Adam & Eve' on a lookalike WD at the same time?

:g:

Social source share

I'm still confused unsure. :huh:

Paul, yes I did buy from Omega on ebay, they had a mixture of originals and boots listed (still have).

Pete S, there is no label fade, but there are some very tiny dots not many, but they're there.

If it wasn't for that Bell Sound stamp, I wouldn't have asked. But on some other Impressions records on ABC there isn't the Bell Sound?

Why does buying records have to be so bloody difficult!? :dash2:

Social source share

Hi Gents,

This is a scan of my copy. No "Bell Sound" stamp. I bought it earlier this year from a major dealer. Is it a Boot/Repro ?

It has nice smooth vinyl and scratched in numbers. It also has an LW scratched in which is also on some of my other ABC/Paramounts. The paper has a smooth , slightly gloss finish.

I've had a quick look at a couple of ABC and ABC Paramount records I have (not that many though). Most have a Bell Sound stamp but not all. One without is a stock copy.

I'd like to hear any views.

Ta

Social source share

Hi Gents,

This is a scan of my copy. No "Bell Sound" stamp. I bought it earlier this year from a major dealer. Is it a Boot/Repro ?

It has nice smooth vinyl and scratched in numbers. It also has an LW scratched in which is also on some of my other ABC/Paramounts. The paper has a smooth , slightly gloss finish.

I've had a quick look at a couple of ABC and ABC Paramount records I have (not that many though). Most have a Bell Sound stamp but not all. One without is a stock copy.

Ta

Yours is ok - I had one with no Bell Sound stamp as well.

Social source share

Yours is ok - I had one with no Bell Sound stamp as well.

Thanks for the reply Pete. I think it's OK as well but was a little concerned at the thought that non-Bell Sound ones were snide.

It looks too well produced. I seem to recall thoses Yum Yum repo's looking a bit less well manufactured - mind you the last one I saw was Bill Frisby's when they first came out. My eyes worked alot better then.

Social source share

Thanks for the reply Pete. I think it's OK as well but was a little concerned at the thought that non-Bell Sound ones were snide.

It looks too well produced. I seem to recall thoses Yum Yum repo's looking a bit less well manufactured - mind you the last one I saw was Bill Frisby's when they first came out. My eyes worked alot better then.

No it's good mate, really good, the fact that I sold mine for £150 yesterday and could have sold it three times says something about how good a pressing it is.

Social source share

Bell Sound was a recording and mastering studio in New York. Records will have that mark if they were mastered there.

It doesn't necessarily follow that all ABC Paramount product of the time would be processed in that way. Not even all New York sessions would have gone down that route to become finished records. ABC also mastered at Capitol's New York studios as well as at other facilities beside.

Conversely sessions recorded elsewhere might well have had tapes sent to Bell for mastering. That's a less likely scenario as the recording engineer and producer would ideally have been at the cutting of the lacquer as there is still a lot which can be done to the sound of the finished master at that stage, nonetheless a lot of independent productions picked up by ABC would have been treated that way.

The Eddie Regan examples above were pressed at Sonic in New York (vinyl) and Monarch in LA (styrene).

Social source share

Hi Gents,

Ta

The LW on ABC 45s stands for Longwear Stamper Co., a company which produced metal stampers, mothers and fathers. It is sometimes seen as LWP (Long Wear Products) on other labels' releases. You can often find the LW or LWP marks on Atlantic singles.

Just plucking some random 45s on ABC Paramount from the shelves and it seems most of the vinyl singles from the mid 1960s have this. Will have a look at some ABC styrene to see if it's also on those. Possibly not as styrene tooling was a different process.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The LW on ABC 45s stands for Longwear Stamper Co., a company which produced metal stampers, mothers and fathers. It is sometimes seen as LWP (Long Wear Products) on other labels' releases. You can often find the LW or LWP marks on Atlantic singles.

Just plucking some random 45s on ABC Paramount from the shelves and it seems most of the vinyl singles from the mid 1960s have this. Will have a look at some ABC styrene to see if it's also on those. Possibly not as styrene tooling was a different process.

A lot of Philly records have LW stamped, probably the most famous is Moses Smith, but of course some copies don't have it, just to conuse the issue

Social source share

It's a fair bet that many of the pressing plants in that general area used LW metalwork Pete.

The equivalent mark you see on many records from the midwest was Nashville Main. That was also a maker of metal parts as opposed to a mastering studio, so a lot of records can have both the mastering marks plus the insignia of the metalwork manufacturer.

Social source share

Ian, did you buy it from Omega Auctions on Ebay? They have listed quite a few boots over the past week or so inc the Little Joe Roman mentioned in another thread. I think they genuinely didn't know and will refund if so.

Regards

Paul

This is the Savory lot,yes?

Mate bought Sam & Kitty boot. They wouldn't refund. Said not described as "original" so no comeback.

Told him to go through Ebay/Paypal complaint procedure.

Going to be a few angry customers if they take that stance with everybody.

ROD

Social source share

Hi Gents,

Ta

Bo,

Whats matrix on other side. I was pretty sure mine is original and matricx is ABC 13096 BUT inbetween the ABC and the 5 digit # there looks to be a 13 crossed through.. It has LW.

ROD

Social source share

Bo,

Whats matrix on other side. I was pretty sure mine is original and matricx is ABC 13096 BUT inbetween the ABC and the 5 digit # there looks to be a 13 crossed through.. It has LW.

ROD

Hi Rod,

Just checked and the "heartaches" side has exactly that layout - ABC 13 13096

Looks like it should be OK.

:thumbsup:

Thanks again for the confirmation

Kev Bod.

Social source share

This is the Savory lot,yes?

Mate bought Sam & Kitty boot. They wouldn't refund. Said not described as "original" so no comeback.

Told him to go through Ebay/Paypal complaint procedure.

Going to be a few angry customers if they take that stance with everybody.

ROD

Yes that's right Rod. Grading's a bit over as well.

Social source share

Bo,

ROD

Same here on mine, had one years back from Koppel which was the same, was convinced by someone it was a boot because of the lack of Bell Sound stamp, so let it go, over time I've had 3 or 4 all from reputable US dealers, all the same - no Bell Sound, just LW.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest gordon russell

What is a reputable dealer?........been sold boots from dealers...when i,m sure they knew what they were doing.....they always have the get out....."sorry mate could have sworn it was real"

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I know this thread is ancient, but does anyone have any idea who Eddie Regan is/was

Bill Ramal and Morty Wilson were clearly responsible for this release as they were 5 record numbers apart with another unknown artist Eddie bishop with a cover of Tony Hatch's "Call Me"

I came across these articles (Copy and paste Links please)and thought I was clutching at straws thinking this Eddie Regan could possibly be the same person

file:///Users/imac/Desktop/Billboard%20-%20Google%20Books.webarchive

file:///Users/imac/Desktop/Billboard%20-%20Google%20Books%201.webarchive

Eddie Para.jpg

Eddie.jpg

Eddie Call.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Copy and paste links
Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

file:///Users/imac/Desktop/Billboard%20-%20Google%20Books.webarchive

file:///Users/imac/Desktop/Billboard%20-%20Google%20Books%201.webarchive

very quick one

the above are links to files on your own mac and so the media/docs/images may only show to you

they show to others as plain text

eg 

you need to either paste the links to the article eg https:// etc

or upload the images/document

cheers

mike

Social source share

15 minutes ago, mike said:

very quick one

the above are links to files on your own mac and so the media/docs/images may only show to you

they show to others as plain text

eg 

you need to either paste the links to the article eg https:// etc

or upload the images/document

cheers

mike

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wgoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=eddie+regan+google+books+columbia+san+francisco&source=bl&ots=fNbZKfrRKr&sig=UN9xUgPukxhXoCPcUDLWR9Whj9U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU8_OZjePfAhUBKewKHQARAEgQ6AEwBnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=eddie regan google books columbia san francisco&f=false

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!