North Carolina Soul Weekender

Just wanted to let y'all know what a fantastic weekend end the FYBO Scooter Rally & Soul Weekender in North Carolina USA was.

This is an annual event & ran from Thursday 12 Jan to Sun 15 Jan. It is run by the local Durham Scooter Club & is very well organised & attended, with people coming in from all over the US. Held in several different venues over the weekend with attendees staying in a central local motel the company & music was outstanding.

This was the second time I have been lucky enough to DJ at this event & I was looking forward to it immensely. The organiser of the weekend uses a local promoter, Marco Hammond to organise the music venues & DJ's, this really works, as it almost ends up like a seperate weekend for the DJ's, Marco organises a seperate itinerary for them as most, like myself are not there for the Scooters but for the music. Luckily Marco has excellent taste in all things soulful & the selection of DJ's he uses reflects this & once again they fly in from all over the US. Aswell as the dance venues Marco also organised a record fair on the Saturday afternoon, with dealers from as far away as Philly coming down.

I could only make the Friday & Saturday nights due to work commitments, but these were excellent both musically & socially with good attendances on both nights..............the record fair was rather good too :ohmy: .

My playlists from the weekend are as follows, no particular order:

Friday Night

Margie Hendrix - One Room Paradise - Mercury Gwen Davis - My Man Dont Think I Know - SS7 Buddy Ace - True Love Money Just Cant Buy - Duke Jimmy Robins - I cant Please You - Jerhart Sharon Jones - (Just Dropped in to See) What Condition My My Condition is in - Daptone Vontastics - I'll Never Say Goodbye - Satellite Sir Guy - Funky Virginia - DPG Lasawn Collins - What You Gonna Do Now - Sincere Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love - Whip Little Milton - So Blue (Without You) - Checker Claude Huey - Why Would You Blow it - Galaxy Hytones - Bigger & Better - Abet[

Saturday Night

The Devonnes - Doin' the Gittin Up - Kent The Dream Team - I'm Not Satisfied - Gregory Judy Freeman & Blackrock - Hold On - Un issued LP Mix Bubba Bailey & The Sheepherders - If Ever You Need Me - Sounds International The Ascots - Just a Few Feet From the Gutter - American Playboy Toni & the Showmen - Try My Love - Ten Star The Royal Five - Say It To My Face - Tyler The Barons of Soul - You Need Love - Grapevine 2000 WD The Royal Esquires - Aint Gonna Run - Prix Charles Mintz - Running Back - Uplook Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB Eddy Hughes - Soul Searcher - Bard

All the DJ's over the weekend played fantastic sets including Brian Poust, Marco. Brian Harris, Kym Fuller (AKA Miss Shing a Ling) Nate, Brent Goodsell, Eric, Dave Munroe 'The Mummy (?) pse excuse me if I have missed any one but memory is fading fast, free DJ bar & all that :thumbsup: . Also the equipment used over the weekend is brilliant, with top quality sound, a pleasure to work with & ya not worrying ya self to death that its gonna pack up in the middle of ya set, some UK promoters should take note.

Highlights of the weekend for me were the sets by Kym on both Friday & Saturday, Saturday in particular she blew the lid of the f*ckin' place, things were going along quite nicely, some good tunes, fair few dancers, then she comes on & whhoooooooooophhhhhhhh the place goes up big time..........this girl can really string a set together & as well as the rarities she's not afraid to play to the floor outragiously when required & this made the difference. Brian Harris & Brian Poust once again came up with the Soulful goods & had the dance floor full & me reaching for the note book ???. Brent Goodsell did fantastic sets which were well put together on both nights, mainly funk, but the crowd luvved it & whilst not my particular forte I could appreciate the tuneage, Nate, who I think was debueing as a DJ on Saturday did a brilliant job, great tunes, full dance floor, job done..........young lad full of enthusiasm & questions about the music.........you could see he was in soul heaven. All the DJ's performed fantastically well & my head is still spinning from the plethora of tuneage.....................any one who may be thinking this was typical UK type Scooter Rally fodder think again there was some serious vinyl spun here & whilst there was some funk played thru the weekend, the quality of the Soul & RnB was exceptional.

The US do's are different from the UK for sure, they always will be, any one attending this event from the UK with out an open mind, who was expecting some kinda clone of a UK weekender or Nighter might be disapointed.........but make no mistake this was a seriously soulful weekend & the Americans did it thier way & this worked for me. If you are over in the US next January on ya hols or a vinyl buying trip dont miss it, you'll thank me. BTW just a word about the punters, young, trendy, knowlegeable & full on...........you could see they were really feeling it & the feedback thru the dancing, cheering & clapping is something else. They have total respect for the DJ's too. Bought some great tunes at the Record Swap aswell, so for me this was a great weekend & just wanted to share it.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Replies 2
  • Views 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just wanted to let y'all know what a fantastic weekend end the FYBO Scooter Rally & Soul Weekender in North Carolina USA was.

This is an annual event & ran from Thursday 12 Jan to Sun 15 Jan. It is run by the local Durham Scooter Club & is very well organised & attended, with people coming in from all over the US. Held in several different venues over the weekend with attendees staying in a central local motel the company & music was outstanding.

This was the second time I have been lucky enough to DJ at this event & I was looking forward to it immensely. The organiser of the weekend uses a local promoter, Marco Hammond to organise the music venues & DJ's, this really works, as it almost ends up like a seperate weekend for the DJ's, Marco organises a seperate itinerary for them as most, like myself are not there for the Scooters but for the music. Luckily Marco has excellent taste in all things soulful & the selection of DJ's he uses reflects this & once again they fly in from all over the US. Aswell as the dance venues Marco also organised a record fair on the Saturday afternoon, with dealers from as far away as Philly coming down.

I could only make the Friday & Saturday nights due to work commitments, but these were excellent both musically & socially with good attendances on both nights..............the record fair was rather good too :shades: .

My playlists from the weekend are as follows, no particular order:

Friday Night

Margie Hendrix - One Room Paradise - Mercury Gwen Davis - My Man Dont Think I Know - SS7 Buddy Ace - True Love Money Just Cant Buy - Duke Jimmy Robins - I cant Please You - Jerhart Sharon Jones - (Just Dropped in to See) What Condition My My Condition is in - Daptone Vontastics - I'll Never Say Goodbye - Satellite Sir Guy - Funky Virginia - DPG Lasawn Collins - What You Gonna Do Now - Sincere Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love - Whip Little Milton - So Blue (Without You) - Checker Claude Huey - Why Would You Blow it - Galaxy Hytones - Bigger & Better - Abet[

Saturday Night

The Devonnes - Doin' the Gittin Up - Kent The Dream Team - I'm Not Satisfied - Gregory Judy Freeman & Blackrock - Hold On - Un issued LP Mix Bubba Bailey & The Sheepherders - If Ever You Need Me - Sounds International The Ascots - Just a Few Feet From the Gutter - American Playboy Toni & the Showmen - Try My Love - Ten Star The Royal Five - Say It To My Face - Tyler The Barons of Soul - You Need Love - Grapevine 2000 WD The Royal Esquires - Aint Gonna Run - Prix Charles Mintz - Running Back - Uplook Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB Eddy Hughes - Soul Searcher - Bard

All the DJ's over the weekend played fantastic sets including Brian Poust, Marco. Brian Harris, Kym Fuller (AKA Miss Shing a Ling) Nate, Brent Goodsell, Eric, Dave Munroe 'The Mummy (?) pse excuse me if I have missed any one but memory is fading fast, free DJ bar & all that ph34r.gif . Also the equipment used over the weekend is brilliant, with top quality sound, a pleasure to work with & ya not worrying ya self to death that its gonna pack up in the middle of ya set, some UK promoters should take note.

Highlights of the weekend for me were the sets by Kym on both Friday & Saturday, Saturday in particular she blew the lid of the f*ckin' place, things were going along quite nicely, some good tunes, fair few dancers, then she comes on & whhoooooooooophhhhhhhh the place goes up big time..........this girl can really string a set together & as well as the rarities she's not afraid to play to the floor outragiously when required & this made the difference. Brian Harris & Brian Poust once again came up with the Soulful goods & had the dance floor full & me reaching for the note book ???. Brent Goodsell did fantastic sets which were well put together on both nights, mainly funk, but the crowd luvved it & whilst not my particular forte I could appreciate the tuneage, Nate, who I think was debueing as a DJ on Saturday did a brilliant job, great tunes, full dance floor, job done..........young lad full of enthusiasm & questions about the music.........you could see he was in soul heaven. All the DJ's performed fantastically well & my head is still spinning from the plethora of tuneage.....................any one who may be thinking this was typical UK type Scooter Rally fodder think again there was some serious vinyl spun here & whilst there was some funk played thru the weekend, the quality of the Soul & RnB was exceptional.

The US do's are different from the UK for sure, they always will be, any one attending this event from the UK with out an open mind, who was expecting some kinda clone of a UK weekender or Nighter might be disapointed.........but make no mistake this was a seriously soulful weekend & the Americans did it thier way & this worked for me. If you are over in the US next January on ya hols or a vinyl buying trip dont miss it, you'll thank me. BTW just a word about the punters, young, trendy, knowlegeable & full on...........you could see they were really feeling it & the feedback thru the dancing, cheering & clapping is something else. They have total respect for the DJ's too. Bought some great tunes at the Record Swap aswell, so for me this was a great weekend & just wanted to share it.

Russ

Comments welcomed ?

[quote name='Russ Vickers' date='Jan

Russ

Edited by ken