Hmm, Another Soul Inc

Guest Arcticsoulboy

Another one saying "no returns" which actually means Jack S**t because if its not as described you can return it - The problem for me (Not That IM ever gonna bid on this) is will you receive it in the first place? NO feedback whatsover - joined in August this year - The description has been cut an pasted from another listing! Good luck those that do bid!

Social source share

Curiosity got the better of me on this one ,so I decided to test the seller and ask a few questions .

Obviously others have contacted the seller ,but maybe I'm gullible or some people are too abrupt when writing to people on eBay ?

The seller has given me plenty of info and been very helpful in the process .

She is selling this in behalf of her father in Law,who has had it since new .

He happens to be lifelong friends with the main vocalist who she has confirmed to be Ron Trombly !

Yes the real Ron Trombly :)

Her father in law has pics of the band performing in Flint Michigan .

She has taken a photo of the record next to a newspaper with the date on in order to prove the record is genuine and with her .

She told me people have messaged to say the record is not Mint ,but she says considering its 40 yr old ,the vinyl looks new but label has maybe got a few marks ?

She also confesses to not being a seller or expert on vinyl ,just grading it as she sees it .

Either way the reserve is a lot higher than the start price ,based on previous sales .

Seems to me that this nice lady and her father in law could actually have some interesting facts to unlock any mystery about this much discussed 45 ?

I've asked if she can email me photos of the band and any info about the band etc .

Here's the picture she posted on YouTube

Nice one Nev :yes: , Rons manager tells me that he was 15 when he sang this song, i find that totaly amazing :ohmy:
Social source share

Further info :-

Cecil wrote the lyrics ,co wrote the music produced it and did backing vocal at his own studio in Mt.Morris ..but Ron did the lead vocals and it was his first ever time in a recording studio ..circa 1967 .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Must say well done Nev for tracking it down :hatsoff2: .

Odly just checked you tube and found this credited 7 months ago.

Sean 1074

Unbeleivable. My father was in this band and I beleive is credited with the music on this recording. Ron Trombley has been a close family friend all my life. He is the singer and drummer. Washington wrote the lyrics.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Curiosity got the better of me on this one ,so I decided to test the seller and ask a few questions .

Obviously others have contacted the seller ,but maybe I'm gullible or some people are too abrupt when writing to people on eBay ?

The seller has given me plenty of info and been very helpful in the process .

She is selling this in behalf of her father in Law,who has had it since new .

He happens to be lifelong friends with the main vocalist who she has confirmed to be Ron Trombly !

Yes the real Ron Trombly :)

Her father in law has pics of the band performing in Flint Michigan .

Seems to me that this nice lady and her father in law could actually have some interesting facts to unlock any mystery about this much discussed 45 ?

I've asked if she can email me photos of the band and any info about the band etc .

The Flint Tones ..

564818_10150809454847338_277669740_n.jpg

Social source share

I'm still waiting for some kind soul to send me a snippet of the alternate version...thanks in advance to whomever can!

:thumbup:

dont think it exists mate or it would have been posted a long time ago...Id love to be proven wrong but until then ???? I SMELL SHITE best regards GASHER

Social source share

dont think it exists mate or it would have been posted a long time ago...Id love to be proven wrong but until then ???? I SMELL SHITE best regards GASHER

it does exist. Two or three people in the UK have it. Wont say anymore as those who have it will have their reasons for not having shared it (so far).

Social source share

WELL LETS HEAR IT THEN...WHY ALL THE SECRECY...ENLIGHTEN US OH YE OF GREAT KNOWLEDGE WHOEVER THE HOLDER OF THIS IS...IF THERES 3 OF YOU ...OR ARE WE THE UNWORTHY?

it does exist. Two or three people in the UK have it. Wont say anymore as those who have it will have their reasons for not having shared it (so far).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Greg DeMoss

I am an original band member / keyboards, vocalist and the DeMoss credited on arrangements. Ron Trombly is pictured far left rear in the photo of one of the groups he now plays with.
Social source share

Hey Greg!

Good to see you on here...please tell us more about the group and recording, though I appreciate it was a long time ago!

Is that you on the organ...what make was it?

Over to you!

Flynny

Social source share

I am an original band member / keyboards, vocalist and the DeMoss credited on arrangements. Ron Trombly is pictured far left rear in the photo of one of the groups he now plays with.

Thanks Greg and welcome to Soul Source. :thumbsup:

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

WELL LETS HEAR IT THEN...WHY ALL THE SECRECY...ENLIGHTEN US OH YE OF GREAT KNOWLEDGE WHOEVER THE HOLDER OF THIS IS...IF THERES 3 OF YOU ...OR ARE WE THE UNWORTHY?

mein herz ist rein, ich bin so klein...which should translate into sth along the lines of I dont know much but by knowing that I know quite a bit LOL...seriously though, who am I to enforce those owners of said unrel. tune to step forward or even name themselves in public? If they want to and are willing to share I am sure they will do so. They seem to have a reason to keep calm on this subject .. ? Anyway Richie, hope your doing fine mate :thumbsup:

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest Greg DeMoss

Hey Greg!

Good to see you on here...please tell us more about the group and recording, though I appreciate it was a long time ago!

Is that you on the organ...what make was it?

Over to you!

Flynny

Hey Flynny

Happy to have found this site and hard to believe that our humble effort so my years ago still lives on today; amazing to say the least!

As for the session, I was blowin a Hammond B-3 with duel Leslies. 1st day in was terrifying having never been in a studio before but that quickly passed and we were down to business. We were jammin, trying to decide on an A-Side track and Cecil had the now forever famous lyrics. He suggested that we give it a shot and we started arranging a melody. As you can imagine with everyone having their own ideas it took some time but eventually we gave birth to My Proposal. Ron Trombly (lead vocalist) continues to make music today with his sexy voice remaining as strong as ever with the advantage of a little maturity; great entertainer!

We were a group of then wannabe blue-eyed soul brothers that loved soul music, a rare commodity in those days. We turned out to be very successful at entertaining the youth of our day and beyond it seems. We had the great pleasure of working with and or backing up many of the great artists of the time as well as some TV appearances. We were living a dream and didn’t know it but that’s how it is when you are young and the girls; well that’s another story LOL

BTW; almost pristine copies of this recording do exist in my possession, any takers?

Social source share

Hi Greg

Welcome to soulsource and many thanks for sharing your memories with us .

I think I can say without hesitation ,it's great to piece together facts about records and artists that have played a big part of of the " northern soul " scene ..but the most rewarding bit is that you artists are aware that your music lives on .

P.s

Good of you to let us all know you have pristine copies that you are willing to let go :)

Social source share

Hey Flynny

Happy to have found this site and hard to believe that our humble effort so my years ago still lives on today; amazing to say the least!

As for the session, I was blowin a Hammond B-3 with duel Leslies. 1st day in was terrifying having never been in a studio before but that quickly passed and we were down to business. We were jammin, trying to decide on an A-Side track and Cecil had the now forever famous lyrics. He suggested that we give it a shot and we started arranging a melody. As you can imagine with everyone having their own ideas it took some time but eventually we gave birth to My Proposal. Ron Trombly (lead vocalist) continues to make music today with his sexy voice remaining as strong as ever with the advantage of a little maturity; great entertainer!

We were a group of then wannabe blue-eyed soul brothers that loved soul music, a rare commodity in those days. We turned out to be very successful at entertaining the youth of our day and beyond it seems. We had the great pleasure of working with and or backing up many of the great artists of the time as well as some TV appearances. We were living a dream and didn’t know it but that’s how it is when you are young and the girls; well that’s another story LOL

BTW; almost pristine copies of this recording do exist in my possession, any takers?

hi Greg welcome to Soul Source and thanks for some great info on the making of My Proposal, I am one of the lucky ones to own a copy of this amazing production and for many years apart from knowing that Cecil was the writer little else was known so thanks again.

How many copies of My Proposal was pressed and did it get much exposure or just become a record that just got filed ?

Regards

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Greg DeMoss

hi Greg welcome to Soul Source and thanks for some great info on the making of My Proposal, I am one of the lucky ones to own a copy of this amazing production and for many years apart from knowing that Cecil was the writer little else was known so thanks again.

How many copies of My Proposal was pressed and did it get much exposure or just become a record that just got filed ?

Regards

Bearsy

Bearsy;

The initial run was 100, some went to members and family but most went out to DJ's for air play. Not sure is there was another production run of more copies. It did get some exposure and charted in a number of the states and Canada. Rumor has it that it went to #1 somewhere in Texas. The air-play gained interest in the then thriving teen TV scene; thus the multiple appearances in the USA and Canada. If I thought the first day in the studio was terrifying, TV almost buckled my knees; remember all TV was LIVE way back then LOL!!!

Social source share

Hi Greg, welcome to SS.

Could there be any footage from your tv appearances on line or in the vaults.

Amazing after all the years a lost record that did quiet well at the time with the touring, then to be picked up 30 years later and its still a hit.

This was the only coconut/ prophonics recording you all worked on. The organ sounds like the record before yours Lynn and The Invaders.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Great info again Greg and many thanks, for many years there was only known to be about 7/8 copies of this in existence but last few months 3 more have surfaced and no doubt a good few more will now be available which for many will be music to their ears as it is on a lot of people's wants lists and rightly so. How old was you all when you recorded this and did My Proposal ever get performed live on television ? Sorry if I'm being nosey but I can't get enough info about this lol.

Also just how many more copies are there still out there on your side of the pond ??

Thanks again

Bearsy

Social source share

Great info again Greg and many thanks, for many years there was only known to be about 7/8 copies of this in existence but last few months 3 more have surfaced and no doubt a good few more will now be available which for many will be music to their ears as it is on a lot of people's wants lists and rightly so. How old was you all when you recorded this and did My Proposal ever get performed live on television ? Sorry if I'm being nosey but I can't get enough info about this lol.

Also just how many more copies are there still out there on your side of the pond ??

Thanks again

Bearsy

:hypo:89 :hypo:

Social source share

Thanks again

Bearsy

Glad i didnt buy yours when you offered it to me :lol:

Social source share

Guest Greg DeMoss

Thanks again

Bearsy

As to our ages; Ron was the youngest @ 15, the rest of us were 17-18.

Live on TV; no at that time local TV didn't have the technology to produce live music but we did preform it live many many many times at engagements.

Copies on this side of pond; Not many I'd bet, like all other things they get discarded. I wish I had all the old vinyl I owned because we listened to what then was obscure recording to gain that edgy new sound. This revived interest in the recording may draw out a few that have been lurking in peoples dusty moist basements LOL

Social source share

Glad i didnt buy yours when you offered it to me :lol:

Wish I had & still would, depending on the money....'kin brilliant record, there are records that people fall over themselves to buy at ridiculous prices, comparitively speaking, that we know exist in multiple hundreds if not thousands of copies, we know this, not because of speculation, but because dealers in the UK had them in those amounts on the shelves !!!....we know TB had hundreds of copies of Bari Track, we know JA had hundreds of copies of the Ringleaders, amomgst other things, we know the story with regards to FB....a handful of copies of a genuinely rare record turns up & theres decsention in the ranks....

Could be a handful, could be more, could be a repress....ya do the research, you pays ya money n ya takes ya chance....

Now, anyone twitching enough to sell yet.....at the new revised price of......

Russ

Social source share

I wish I had all the old vinyl I owned because we listened to what then was obscure recording to gain that edgy new sound.

So, what tracks were you guys listening to, Greg? Do you recall if there were any that had a direct impact on 'My Proposal', as it doesn't really remind me of any other track!

The vocals, the percussion, the brasswork and of course your organ work breathing life into the track...all components played their part perfectly. I never tire of this track...did you guys have anything else recorded/finished ready for a follow up release?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wish I had & still would, depending on the money....'kin brilliant record, there are records that people fall over themselves to buy at ridiculous prices, comparitively speaking, that we know exist in multiple hundreds if not thousands of copies, we know this, not because of speculation, but because dealers in the UK had them in those amounts on the shelves !!!....we know TB had hundreds of copies of Bari Track, we know JA had hundreds of copies of the Ringleaders, amomgst other things, we know the story with regards to FB....a handful of copies of a genuinely rare record turns up & theres decsention in the ranks....

Could be a handful, could be more, could be a repress....ya do the research, you pays ya money n ya takes ya chance....

Now, anyone twitching enough to sell yet.....at the new revised price of......

Russ

I would think it is safe to assume there was further presses after the initial 100 wouldn't you agree? If it charted several states and Canada and TV exposure gained because of this I would think it was off the back of more an 100 sales?

Great story anyway regardless of what you think of the merits of the record.

Welcome to Soul Source Greg.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Greg DeMoss

I would think it is safe to assume there was further presses after the initial 100 wouldn't you agree? If it charted several states and Canada and TV exposure gained because of this I would think it was off the back of more an 100 sales?

Thanks Chalky

As I stated to others and not safe to assume; I am not aware of any other re-press of this recording and being a named arranger, I believe I would have been notified or contacted requesting approval / copyright and all that BS. Yes Cecil also worked on it as well as the other group members but it was basically my track.

Edited by Greg DeMoss
Social source share

If it charted several states and Canada and TV exposure gained because of this I would think it was off the back of more an 100 sales?

Might just mean "radio play chart", very different from sales. Anyway welcome Greg...

Social source share

Might just mean "radio play chart", very different from sales. Anyway welcome Greg...

You are probably right Steve.

Thanks Chalky

As I stated to others and not safe to assume; I am not aware of any other re-press of this recording and being a named arranger, I believe I would have been notified or contacted requesting approval / copyright and all that BS. Yes Cecil also worked on it as well as the other group members but it was basically my track.

Hi Greg, thanks for clearing that. Steve G is probably right and it was probably "play chart".

Those100 copies got spread about a bit though and got some use which is a good thing.

Social source share

As to our ages; Ron was the youngest @ 15, the rest of us were 17-18.

Live on TV; no at that time local TV didn't have the technology to produce live music but we did preform it live many many many times at engagements.

Copies on this side of pond; Not many I'd bet, like all other things they get discarded. I wish I had all the old vinyl I owned because we listened to what then was obscure recording to gain that edgy new sound. This revived interest in the recording may draw out a few that have been lurking in peoples dusty moist basements LOL

Wow all so young and to produce a tune like this with such quality vocals I take my hat of to you all..... Would be awesome if you could all make it over to perform this live in UK... Promoters now that's an idea eh !!!!

Thanks ever so much Greg for your replies and for taking the time to educate us on this amazing tune and massive thanks for giving this amazing tune too....

Thanks

Bearsy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!