Original Vinyl What Is It ?

Dave West

The topic of original vinyl has been on this forum probably more than any other subject, but can someone positively state what original vinyl is.?

is it a records first ever release ? therefore making further releases second issues.

If so, what happens to demo only records that never got an issue release ? Can a demo be original vinyl when it was never released or issued.

What if its an album track first,then released as a single,is the album original vinyl and the single second issue ?

Is original vinyl a worldwide thing, or a country of origin, or both. therefore first release per country becomes original vinyl.

Obviously all the promoters that state OVO in their adverts must know what it is so can easily answer this question... :yes:

food for thought...if its first issue worldwide nearly all UK motown is second issue as they were released after the US issue.But if its only country wide nearly all early motown become original vinyl as do Pye disco demand etc etc........... :wicked:

Dave :hatsoff2:

Social source share

well I'll risk getting my head blown off

at our Soul Nights @ Bridgwater on 13 October we had the issue of the sad passing of Frank Wilson to deal with ; just wouldn't be right to say nothing.

the request was, natch, and from a couple of sources, to play DILY. And somebody offered a 1970's tmg demo as something we could play for Frank to remember his fantastic contribution to our lives.

to me [as promoter of S.N.@ B.], and taking money off people who travel from near and far to come to an ' OVO ' night, it's a no-brainer. Can't be played.

Released in [ 1972 ? ] whereas the original is from [ 1966 ? ]. Can't be OVO.

The point of this posting is to air my view that occasionally people get mixed up with the boot v OVO debate [ surely dead simples ? ], whereas the more subtle issues are usually around re-release v OVO.

Anyway, all the above is off course, I.M.H.O. And I don't mind if someone wants to give me a kicking if the dates above are wrong. I guessed at them; I'm cooking dinner and didn't go and check them.

If anyone is interested, and still reading without nodding off, the tribute record to Frank was ' Stoned Love ', [ long winded spoken intro ], played as the ender, which is a bit of a S.N.@ .B guilty secret / fave.

pete

Social source share

The topic of original vinyl has been on this forum probably more than any other subject, but can someone positively state what original vinyl is.?

is it a records first ever release ? therefore making further releases second issues.

If so, what happens to demo only records that never got an issue release ? Can a demo be original vinyl when it was never released or issued.

What if its an album track first,then released as a single,is the album original vinyl and the single second issue ?

Is original vinyl a worldwide thing, or a country of origin, or both. therefore first release per country becomes original vinyl.

Obviously all the promoters that state OVO in their adverts must know what it is so can easily answer this question... :yes:

food for thought...if its first issue worldwide nearly all UK motown is second issue as they were released after the US issue.But if its only country wide nearly all early motown become original vinyl as do Pye disco demand etc etc........... :wicked:

..my interpretation would be this..first issue or demo primarily US but also UK if a release or demo around the same time..also 60's UK TMG's..i would also include second issues from 60's very early 70's..a general attempt to restrict records to some kind or original or as near can be..trying to avoid the 70's onwards boots, and Uk issues/reissues that were available during Northern souls heyday..other discs acceptable would be unissued/unreleased from the archives like Kent ..also vintage acetates...Uk only first issues..or 2nd issues if reissued soon after..i means if its a boot or a commonly available UK issue to cater for northern demmand SHOULDN'T BE PLAYED AT AN OVO EVENT..this to me means trying to play something that has a certain vintage/credibility..

Social source share

at our Soul Nights @ Bridgwater on 13 October we had the issue of the sad passing of Frank Wilson to deal with ; just wouldn't be right to say nothing.

the request was, natch, and from a couple of sources, to play DILY. And somebody offered a 1970's tmg demo as something we could play for Frank to remember his fantastic contribution to our lives.

to me [as promoter of S.N.@ B.], and taking money off people who travel from near and far to come to an ' OVO ' night, it's a no-brainer. Can't be played.

The point of this posting is to air my view that occasionally people get mixed up with the boot v OVO debate [ surely dead simples ? ], whereas the more subtle issues are usually around re-release v OVO.

Anyway, all the above is off course, I.M.H.O. And I don't mind if someone wants to give me a kicking if the dates above are wrong. I guessed at them; I'm cooking dinner and didn't go and check them.

If anyone is interested, and still reading without nodding off, the tribute record to Frank was ' Stoned Love ', [ long winded spoken intro ], played as the ender, which is a bit of a S.N.@ .B guilty secret / fave.

pete

I must saythat Pete, I find that a bit ridiculous.

In such an event surely the right thing to do was scratch the bloody OVO policy.

On the flip, if Stoned Love was one of your faves I suppose that was your tribute to Frank....but surely the people on the floor would have preferred to put their heads down and remember Frank that night to DILY?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

So all those people missed out on hearing a record they would have loved to hear and dance to.

What an absolutely ridiculous and needless thing to do Pete. Who would have given a flying f*ck if it was played off a TMG demo or cassette tape? Apart from you, I mean.

Ditto

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The OVO thing is a bit of a Red Herring (IMO).

What the majority of people want to see, is the end of Bootlegs and the end to the playing of Bootlegs at Northern Soul events.

So 'OVO' seemed like a good idea at the time.

However, this brings with it the sort of nutty problems you've highlighted, ricticman, in your post.

What a bunch of grown up music fans should surely be advocating and supporting is LVO (LEGITIMATE VINYL ONLY) or even LFO (LEGITIMATE FORMAT ONLY) and then at lease we'd be doing our artists a true and proper service by buying and promoting their music - and we just might even end up putting a couple of bob in the right pockets, where its deserved!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Perfectly put Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What the majority of people want to see, is the end of Bootlegs and the end to the playing of Bootlegs at Northern Soul events.

The 'majority' being about 30 people on Soul Source, the rest of the paying customers on the Northern scene not giving a monkey's otherwise they wouldn't turn up to the venues where these heinous crimes are committed, would they?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

However, this brings with it the sort of nutty problems you've highlighted, ricticman, in your post.

What a bunch of grown up music fans should surely be advocating and supporting is LVO (LEGITIMATE VINYL ONLY) or even LFO (LEGITIMATE FORMAT ONLY) and then at lease we'd be doing our artists a true and proper service by buying and promoting their music - and we just might even end up putting a couple of bob in the right pockets, where its deserved!

Sean

What about playing 7 inch carvers of stuff we have on lp or cd that had no release on 45??

Social source share

The 'majority' being about 30 people on Soul Source, the rest of the paying customers on the Northern scene not giving a monkey's otherwise they wouldn't turn up to the venues where these heinous crimes are committed, would they?

I admire and agree with Sean's view but I must say that's a fair reply. :wink:

Social source share

I was referring to those who strongly advocate OVO Pete.

It comes unstuck as a misplaced 'ideal'. It serves very few and limits opportunity.

The late Frank Wilson would probably turn over in his grave, knowing that a DJ could not play his recording, on a legitimate vinyl 45, as a tribute to this fine artist, because of some well-intended but misguided piece of legislation in the NS Rule Book.

Sean

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Pete et al,

Just to be clear, wasn't seeking your approval or judgement or anything, so if you enjoy splurging it all out, splurge on.

I'm just telling you our approach at S.N.@ B. For the record ; and to try and enlighten the original posters question, of one particular view.

That's what we've done for 12 years and that's what out punters appear to appreciate.

Also, in the back of my mind, to be honest, was bringing Kenny Burrell and Rhona down here twice to play the wonderful original, so, yes, maybe, I'm a bit precious about ever playing anything else.

But the thread was about 'what is original vinyl ', not what is a proper tribute to Frank.

So other promoters views are relevant ?

If you've got a policy, you stick to it and don't start bending it when you feel like it. Otherwise it's not a principle, it's just doing what you feel like doing in the circumstances . Or doing what whoever shouts loudest asks you to do?

pete

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Good question Steve.

I play LP tracks off LP.

Don't really get the practice of 'calving' LP tracks. Sorry.

Beats me why some folk can't seem to cue an album :D

Sean

Never liked playing album tracks Sean, only recently with the upgrade in sound systems did they not sound like a crock.

Social source share

Good question Steve.

I play LP tracks off LP.

Don't really get the practice of 'calving' LP tracks. Sorry.

Beats me why some folk can't seem to cue an album :D

:thumbsup: t

Sean

Its about storage with me really, can' t always travel with 45s box and album box, easy in a car but i would be on public transport, also the travel overseas, can get on as hand luggage with 45s box...... Not talking about a person with a box full of carvers, just the odd bit they have on lp or cd only.... Would some think this a crime????

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Never liked playing album tracks Sean, only recently with the upgrade in sound systems did they not sound like a crock.

Played the likes of Willie Hutch 'Lucky To Be Loved By You' and Clyde McPhatter 'Please Give Me' / 'Anyone Can Tell' etc. for many, many, years off LP Barry and they never sounded anything other than INCREDIBLE! :D

But its another 'red-herring' matter and I understand what you're saying.

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its about storage with me really, can' t always travel with 45s box and album box, easy in a car but i would be on public transport, also the travel overseas, can get on as hand luggage with 45s box......

I've got a box that takes 45's and LP's, Steve.

Can get at least 8 albums in with me 45's (but rarely play more than 2-3 tracks off album, even then).

That said, I still end up carting a box of LP's with me in most cases. Belts, braces etc.

But I always go in my car, so it's fairly easy for me (except for the haul from the Car Park).

I can see your point mate, if you have to use other forms of transport.

And (unlike you Steve) I rarely get asked to DJ outside of the UK so its never a problem! :D

Sean

Social source share

Sean

Funny thing is though Sean quite a few Northern Soul events are ran by people who are or were behind quite a lot of the bootlegging on the Northern scene.

Now that's what I'd call a 'Red Herring'!!!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Its about storage with me really, can' t always travel with 45s box and album box, easy in a car but i would be on public transport, also the travel overseas, can get on as hand luggage with 45s box......

I've got a box that takes 45's and LP's, Steve.

Can get at least 8 albums in with me 45's (but rarely play more than 2-3 tracks off album, even then).

That said, I still end up carting a box of LP's with me in most cases. Belts, braces etc.

But I always go in my car, so it's fairly easy for me (except for the haul from the Car Park).

I can see your point mate, if you have to use other forms of transport.

And (unlike you Steve) I rarely get asked to DJ outside of the UK so its never a problem! :D

Sean

Sorry lads, I've djed abroad and carried a 100 12" case and a 7"s box...I will also be getting on a train in two weeks with the same....man up FCS. :wink:

Social source share

So all those people missed out on hearing a record they would have loved to hear and dance to.

What an absolutely ridiculous and needless thing to do Pete. Who would have given a flying f*ck if it was played off a TMG demo or cassette tape? Apart from you, I mean.

I think this is taking things a stage too far personally, but obviously it's your event so you have to do as you see fit.

I'm sure Frank would be turning in his grave with what went on here. This is the kind of shit that gets everyone's back up. Well said.

Social source share

pete

was that version of stoned love released as a 45 i know its on yesteryear

thanks

kev

Social source share

You are the he man then Barry to carry such luggage, 100 12 " and 45s box, is that to play an hour set or are you on for the whole weekend??

There's an awful lot of record minutes in those boxes Stevie, you just need to know what you're doing :wink:

Social source share

I think if 'promoters' have to state 'Original Vinyl' or the trendy 'OVO', on their blurb, flyers etc...then it brings into question the whole event.

People should know by the DJ lineup?

It is or it isn't - folk should know...and if it isn't and doesn't pretend to be anything else then that's cool.

And if i bought Kenny down to do a spot; out of his vast records, the last thing i would want him to play would be FW lol

All in my opinion, smiley face, smiley face, etc.

Good point.

Is the OVO thing just an in house badge?

Social source share

So the answer to these questions is........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

THE ANSWER IS HASNT THIS SUBJECT BEEN DONE ENUFF FFS!!

regarding bridgewater,i was there and too be honest pete made his tribute on the mic and the floor was full and i didnt hear anybody saying why wasnt do i love you played...im guessing it was played in hundreds of other venues over that weekend.....i for one wasnt bothered i didnt hear it!!

Social source share

THE ANSWER IS HASNT THIS SUBJECT BEEN DONE ENUFF FFS!!

regarding bridgewater,i was there and too be honest pete made his tribute on the mic and the floor was full and i didnt hear anybody saying why wasnt do i love you played...im guessing it was played in hundreds of other venues over that weekend.....i for one wasnt bothered i didnt hear it!!

Wouldn't be bothered if I never heard it again, but that's not the point, I guess! :P

Social source share

Sean

Wind up or not, most people like this answer, so I reckon the answer is LVO/LFO

as a rule of thumb :thumbsup:

Edited by dekka
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I think it is just another piss take and that’s why most people can’t be bothered to give you an answer. If ya search the forum you will find the answer of what for most constitutes original vinyl. Just do whatever you want & be happy !!!! I just went to a fantastic weekender in Hamburg and dare I say ovo and I am too frigging tired after dancing my nuts off for three days to a great mix of trad. northern crossover modern funky northern rnb .... and please do not ask me what defines funky northern or crossover as it has been discused almost on a weekly basis the same as OVO ...

What I find also interresting is that the european soul scene as well as the rnb and reggae scene is slowly getting more & more into the ovo spirit even at a pub level!!! People also treating ovo venues, dj's & collectors with respect not with contempt & constand ridicules like in britain!!! Right now the uk scene is more and more deluted by a jolly good knee up and piss up soul don't give a flying monkey night out....

good night :hatsoff2:

No, not a piss take although I can see why you'd think so.

At Blackpool weekender last November the two giant screens projecting the records being played featured many Red & White motown demos during the Wheel session. Now, according to previous threads these records (valued in their hundreds) are not originals even though they are first releases in the UK. and wouldnt be played in a OVO purist venue.Just an example as perhaps too comercial for that type of venue anyway.

As a collector and occasional DJ I think LVO is a more sensible way. promoters know to some extent if a DJ has a box full of early issues LVO or a box full of mid seventies (companies jumping on the bandwagon) reissues. or a box full of boots.....

So the answer to the question, original vinyl is........the first ever release / issue of a record (worldwide) :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In direct relation to original question and not wishing to drag in the inevitable OVO Northern Soul record debate.

The answer has to be any legitimate release sanctioned by the publishing company. They are the people that hold the legal rights so while it may have been released earlier a re release wether US or UK is still valid in my opinion.

I do have a question for people that advocate O V O ..what is your motivation for doing so ? is it a respect thing for the artist ensuring they get royalties assuming they are still alive?, a deep respect for record label owners? or merely just a personal preference? and should you rename your policy as F.R.V.O (first release vinyl only) just to avoid confusion

All this can be taken to extremes for example I collect Britiish release Soul 45s was Djing a while back and someone had requested Frankie Valli The Night.. planned on playing it as my first record however dj i was taking over from said "no problem got it covered gonna end with it" fine.. however noticed His was UK mowest 3024 and mine was first release 3002...I could have punched His effing lights out :wicked: ....not really couldnt give monkeys :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All this can be taken to extremes for example I collect Britiish release Soul 45s was Djing a while back and someone had requested Frankie Valli The Night.. planned on playing it as my first record however dj i was taking over from said "no problem got it covered gonna end with it" fine.. however noticed His was UK mowest 3024 and mine was first release 3002...I could have punched His effing lights out :wicked: ....not really couldnt give monkeys :P

I'm shocked by this!

You were actually going to play The Night?

:lol:

(only kidding - great record)

• Helpful 3
Social source share