What's The Price Of A Dj ?

Chris L

A DJ who does not bring/play his own material? What does the DJ bring to it? Couldn't you hire the equipment and DJ yourself - or get a mate to do it?

Not your usual event I guess? I would not pay much for this. Maybe try local paper or 'yellow page's.

Cheers

Richard

The venue requires all sorts of paperwork, guarantees and insurance so a prof it'll have to be :(

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I've had loads of venues insist that I have public liabilty insurance. Also been asked to provide Pat testing certificate for every electrical item used on occassion also!

Would You have a play order arranged for the DJ??? Just you can't imagine him/her knowing what'll fit into what musically, if they are not into the scene and its sounds?

Social source share

The venue requires all sorts of paperwork, guarantees and insurance so a prof it'll have to be :(

Watch it Chris, they'll already have Liability insurance unless they are complete nutters; what they are asking you to do is get additional coverage to protect theirs in the event of someone falling over on the talc.

Social source share

I've had loads of venues insist that I have public liability insurance. Also been asked to provide Pat testing certificate for every electrical item used on occasion also! Would You have a play order arranged for the DJ??? Just you can't imagine him/her knowing what'll fit into what musically, if they are not into the scene and its sounds?

We'd deffo give him/her a playlist............

Social source share

Must make sure they have excellent DJ patter then What kind of insurance is needed? Venue would have public and employer's liability I guess. What would a DJ need if you are supplying the material. Who would bring what kind of a claim against them? Maybe floor clearing insurance?

Cheers

Richard

Yes this is what the venue asked for !

Social source share

All seems a bit complicated to me, I dj locally birthdays weddings etc. for the ammount of time your looking at i would charge £100. Not all djs are gonna know about northern soul . even if you supply tracks etc. if they have never heard them then they are gonna struggle to craft together a good set for you. Might be better to reconsider your venue and get a dj in that knows what they are doing. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

All seems a bit complicated to me, I dj locally birthdays weddings etc. for the ammount of time your looking at i would charge £100. Not all djs are gonna know about northern soul . even if you supply tracks etc. if they have never heard them then they are gonna struggle to craft together a good set for you. Might be better to reconsider your venue and get a dj in that knows what they are doing. :thumbsup:

you mean YOU?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Chris if you ask on here and say you can't afford to pay any DJs, I guarantee you'll get at least 50 volunteers...... :lol:

It,s a wonder your phone ain,t ringing off the hook with offers......and this thread full of comments such as "play box sorted" or "Can,t wait to spin a few" or "Heard good reports about this venue" "l only live 6 hundred miles away,but can,t wait,only 35 more sleeps"......simples ect ect........... :lol: :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

It,s a wonder your phone ain,t ringing off the hook with offers......and this thread full of comments such as "play box sorted" or "Can,t wait to spin a few" or "Heard good reports about this venue" "l only live 6 hundred miles away,but can,t wait,only 35 more sleeps"......simples ect ect........... :lol: :lol:

I knew there was a reason I went x directory. Anyway I'm washing my hair between now and December...:lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I knew there was a reason I went x directory. Anyway I'm washing my hair between now and December... :lol: :lol:

which one :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What should I pay for a DJ Berk for 3 hours, his equipment, I supply CDs/Files/vinyl ? On a Saturday in January 2013 from 21.00pm to 00.00am. Answers please on a postcard. Thanks Chris

Social source share

Watch it Chris, they'll already have Liability insurance unless they are complete nutters; what they are asking you to do is get additional coverage to protect theirs in the event of someone falling over on the talc.

Steve, although the venue will already have Public Liability thye will want the DJ to if they are bringing in thier own equipemnt, so if someone is electrocuted, trips over a speaker cable, speaker falls on their head etc, it is down to the DJ. Alot of insurers will have this sort of thing as a small print exclusion on a venues policy (nice isnt it).

Dave

Social source share

Really Dave? Seems to me like a hall is there for public entertainment - unless it's some kind of Quakers meeting house or something - and equipment goes hand in hand with such entertainment. But insurers small print never ceases to amaze me!

I'm afraid so mate - if you are providing equipment theoretically it is the venues responsibilty to ensure it is safe and installed safely but if they make sure you have insurance, then they have partly covered thier responsibility. Someone trips over your speaker cable - they sue the venue, the venue's insurers come after yours. If you can prove you safely taped down the cables, made sure people were aware of the cable (hazard tape not gaffer), then it may be ruled a simple accident.

Insurers often insert these clauses not only as protection but as a way to reduce premiums to the venue - insurance for a venue will be cheaper if they confirm all people providing outside services have thier own insurance.

It seems mad but logical in this sueing culture we have developed - it's only a matter of time I am sure that DJ's providing equipment will have to issue a Risk Assessment and get it signed off by the venue!

Oh and remember if your equipment isnt PAT tested and someone is electrocuted (even through no fault of your own), your own insurance could be invalid.

It never ends and will only get worse.

Happy Days.

Dave

ps - I'm not in insurance but have to deal with insurers in construction, which is a real minefield lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!