Soul Source Record Of The Day,(Some Say It's The Nights Drawing In?)Late Fall2012

dthedrug

:hatsoff2:DO YOU NO The strife I have gone through just to bring the RECORD CLUB UP TO DATE??

As if you need me to tell you (but I will) the last section "some say it;s the fall?", there was no FALL just a fantastic selection of some of the rare cuts that we own & treasure, some 45s I personally will never get a whiff in, so thanks for turning me on, Without doubt it was the best selection of 45s since the record club started, plus we got some new members to, welcome, to each & everyone it was SO FULL of SOULFUL 45s

Well here we go clocks going the wrong way Conkers have fallen and the FOGGY nights are here, HALLOWEEN! (YANK STUFF) is here, & BONFIRE NIGHT when we celabrate burning a ROMAN CATHOLIC,?? When I was a kid. fireworks to have 1d BANGER,2d CANNON & the 321 ZERO, Throw one of those down a kids Welly, Jesus! happy days, so keeping in the SPIRIT of this part of the year

The record is Major Lances "dark & lonley" CONTEMPO C26 - Rated 5* by me, Value demo £40+YOU ALL NO THEM RULES ABOUT KEEP ON DOWNLOADING THE VIDIO, PLEASE DON'T

ENJOY :rofl:post-13241-0-42518400-1350970290_thumb.jDAVE K

:wicked: https://youtu.be/vUPb6R66cxA

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• Replies 806
  • Views 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Dave what's all this "Fall" shite.........bloody Yank get everywhere,it's Autumn :lol:

So I thought I'd celebrate the opening of the new thread with a fanfare?Just listen to the opening few bars to this & you'll see what I mean.........one the best opening to a record ever imo.

Fred Hughes - Don't Let This Happen To Us Brunswick

Social source share

Well, Woohoo! Into another new 'record of the day' section, hope this one turns out as good as the last one, keep up the quality guys!

Another LP track from me today, pure brilliance from the amazing Mavis Staples - Trippin On Your Love

Social source share

Well, Woohoo! Into another new 'record of the day' section, hope this one turns out as good as the last one, keep up the quality guys!

Another LP track from me today, pure brilliance from the amazing Mavis Staples - Trippin On Your Love

Paul

New to me this & WOW,just love her voice :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Mavis Staples - Trippin On Your Love

Yep top tune . Written by Phillip Mitchell who didn't know it had been used by Stax on the Staple Singers LP (he was not credited) or that it had been recorded by Arthur Miles and Way of Life .One reason why artists get p##sed off regards payments and royalties.

Social source share

Paul

New to me this & WOW,just love her voice :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Can't believe you haven't heard it before Martyn! The 'way of life' version has been played out a fair bit.

Yep, she does have an amazing voice!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

First tune on new thread today on Malaco

Girl Overboard - Dorothy Moore the flip is "Special occasion" which is a great tune also I think av posted it before anyhow here ya go.

Bill Brandon's version of "Special Occasion" is great too. Well it is a Sam Dees song

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

:hatsoff2:DO YOU NO The strife I have gone through just to bring the RECORD CLUB UP TO DATE??

As if you need me to tell you (but I will) the last section "some say it;s the fall?", there was no FALL just a fantastic selection of some of the rare cuts that we own & treasure, some 45s I personally will never get a whiff in, so thanks for turning me on, Without doubt it was the best selection of 45s since the record club started, plus we got some new members to, welcome, to each & everyone it was SO FULL of SOULFUL 45s

Well here we go clocks going the wrong way Conkers have fallen and the FOGGY nights are here, HALLOWEEN! (YANK STUFF) is here, & BONFIRE NIGHT when we celabrate burning a ROMAN CATHOLIC,?? When I was a kid. fireworks to have 1d BANGER,2d CANNON & the 321 ZERO, Throw one of those down a kids Welly, Jesus! happy days, so keeping in the SPIRIT of this part of the year

The record is Major Lances "dark & lonley" CONTEMPO C26 - Rated 5* by me, Value demo £40+YOU ALL NO THEM RULES ABOUT KEEP ON DOWNLOADING THE VIDIO, PLEASE DON'T

ENJOY :rofl:post-13241-0-42518400-1350970290_thumb.jDAVE K

:wicked: https://youtu.be/vUPb6R66cxA

Superb track from the Major Dave, and spooky!!! was gonna post this last night at end of last thread!

see your showing the Contempo remake in your scan Dave, looking nice on that red demo mate! (and what a version!)

Dunno who that youtuber is in your link? but he's showing a scan of the Contempo issue, but the track playing is the original Okeh version? (the one I was gonna post) There's too many knobs on Youtube who just post files and scans of stuff they have no knowledge of and obviously don't own imo! The sooner refosoul is back the better! :thumbsup:

That Contempo release ya got Dave, it's got the trademake strings of the late great Gerry Shurry, loved the stuff he did early 70's at Contempo, a very underated arranger on the British soul scene imo.

Another thing worth noting regarding the Okeh release, the label has a small 45, like we associated with all those 70's re-issues on Okeh, but this release on Okeh only came out with the small 45 on the issues (though there are large 45 demos!) a strange one?

atb

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stunning ballad from the great Otis Clay, one of my fav's by him

Otis Clay - "Tired Of Falling In And Out Of Love"

steve

Very nice Steve.

From the heart of the man.

Otis has done some great stuff hasn't he. I knew nothing about him till I was mesmerised by The Only Way is Up back in the day.

Nice one buddy.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Superb track from the Major Dave, and spooky!!! was gonna post this last night at end of last thread!

see your showing the Contempo remake in your scan Dave, looking nice on that red demo mate! (and what a version!)

Dunno who that youtuber is in your link? but he's showing a scan of the Contempo issue, but the track playing is the original Okeh version? (the one I was gonna post) There's too many knobs on Youtube who just post files and scans of stuff they have no knowledge of and obviously don't own imo! The sooner refosoul is back the better! :thumbsup:

That Contempo release ya got Dave, it's got the trademake strings of the late great Gerry Shurry, loved the stuff he did early 70's at Contempo, a very underated arranger on the British soul scene imo.

Another thing worth noting regarding the Okeh release, the label has a small 45, like we associated with all those 70's re-issues on Okeh, but this release on Okeh only came out with the small 45 on the issues (though there are large 45 demos!) a strange one?

atb

steve

:hatsoff2: HI ALL, Thanks for the feedback Steve, the MAJOR LANCE, did you see him at STOKE? in 72, i had to wait to the end of the year, to see the Legend he was, as I have been play sounds through the night 11 to 4, I could not be bothered to change it, The contempo is the best version, in fact these days I wouldn't bother picking up the OKeh 45, how times change?

I had a PM stating that the value is much higher & the issue is £45, does it matter? on E BAY last week several contempo releases went for a few ££ including the SEEDS OF THE EARTH, PLANTING SEEDS, IAN CLARK use to sell ACROSS THE TRAX FOR £200, What I would say is try and collect the lot, some are very hard to find, 12" sell very well, if you can find one?

the best OKeh MAJOR Lances his 1st DELILAH, unless you no better?? :rofl: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought I'd post the more played out version of the Mavis Staples track I posted yesterday, I really do love this tune, whichever version it is! Can get a 12" version of this from discogs for about £2 - what a bargain!

A Way of Life - Trippin on your love

Social source share

Each to his own, but I definitely prefer the Mavis Staples version. I love the tempo and "what a voice!"

Dave

Didn't say I preferred it Dave, just it had been played out more. I'm a huge Mavis Staples/Staple Singers fan, and admit Mavis's version is the best version, but I do love them all!

Social source share

A doubler from me, two versions of the same song. I've got them both but prefer the less funky cut although I think both versions are great. Mines are on UA and Tchula but can't find links to these labels.

Lee Shot Williams - I ain't me - UA/Tchula

gary

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Blimey Andy postal service is really bad round your way mate! That's 46 years it took 'em! :D

Absolute cracker of a track Andy, right up my street that :thumbsup:

steve

Steve

Same as the Realistics on De-lite, the label changed their name from the Sensations to the Realistics for the release.

gary

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve

Same as the Realistics on De-lite, the label changed their name from the Sensations to the Realistics for the release.

gary

Cheers Gary, I'll go and hit mesell with the stupid stick! when I was playing it, I thought it sounded very familiar! I got it on Delite! but not Realistics??? sure it's New Cymbals I got?

steve

Edited by Edge
Social source share

A doubler from me, two versions of the same song. I've got them both but prefer the less funky cut although I think both versions are great. Mines are on UA and Tchula but can't find links to these labels.

Lee Shot Williams - I ain't me - UA/Tchula

Gaz

It's the MT Records version for me :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share