Articles: Paul Riser MBA - Motowns Brilliant Arranger

Rob Moss

Guest Carl Dixon

Very nicley produced. A pleasure to read. Yes, an arranger, along with the musicians, vocalists and producers help bring the song alive. They often come up with counter melody hooks that make the song, like Roberts Whites guitar intro on 'My Gir'l I believe.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

he got his call up papers in dec 66, to got fort wayne in detroit. but arranged many incredible songs..........at 36 i guess he didnt get in.........did he, or was it the reserves. what was the go there rob.

Social source share

Guess I'll add my two cents. I'll say again, I was honored to be around such talent as Paul Riser. He was the arranger on many horn sessions for Pied Piper and Just Productions.

To say he was brilliant is an understatement. You had to see him work with a musician to play the right notes and feel the rhythym and he did it in such a professional and soft spoken way as to not belittle them. There was always a smile and the 'let's get to work' attitude because he knew outside of Motown, time was money and independent producers had very little (money).

This is a great article and I'm so glad to see the 'behind the hits' people getting some attention.

Lorraine

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guess I'll add my two cents. I'll say again, I was honored to be around such talent as Paul Riser. He was the arranger on many horn sessions for Pied Piper and Just Productions.

To say he was brilliant is an understatement. You had to see him work with a musician to play the right notes and feel the rhythym and he did it in such a professional and soft spoken way as to not belittle them. There was always a smile and the 'let's get to work' attitude because he knew outside of Motown, time was money and independant producers had very little.

This is a great article and I'm so glad to see the 'behind the hits' people getting some attention.

Lorraine

They are hard working boys on this board Lorraine.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

superb article . the word GENIUS tends to get over used but  Paul Riser is the real deal. Discogs list him with 974 credits ,bet its a lot more than that. I wonder how many peoples all time top ten records Paul has played a part in  with the likes of Thom Bell and Gene Page . literally the soundtrack to our lives on this forum ! and how many times have their tunes been sampled .

shorty

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!