Sapphires On Bbc World Service - Outlook 3Am Gmt

dthedrug

:hatsoff2: HI ALL. There was a very good article on OUTLOOK on the BBC World Service this morning 3am GMT, clips of all Northern Hits, History of group with focus on a new film about the group, and the racism they face being native Australians, well worth a listen,

Does the WORLD SERVICE do repeats or whatever they call it????/ RECOMMEND to all :rofl: DAVE K

Social source share

This group of native Australian girls who called themselves the Sapphires had no connection whatsoever to the US group of the same name who recorded for ABC in the US..

That's what i thought. It would be great to see a film about them with a soundtrack inculding Gotta Have Your Love, Slow Fizz, etc.

Social source share

This group of native Australian girls who called themselves the Sapphires had no connection whatsoever to the US group of the same name who recorded for ABC in the US..

Obviously.

But knowing Jerry Ross like I do, I've no doubt hell be chasing them down for use of the name, that I can guarantee! :thumbup::lol:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I got the impression from the outlook programme the women they interviewed was Ausie & was a original member of the Sapphires when the band broke up, following a successful recordings for ABC, she then became a :rofl: a top model in OZ, Where she uses her successful lifestyle to motivate Aborigines, why else would they do a film?? :thumbsup: DAVE K
Social source share

According to all the blurbs, the girls are all native Australians. Nothing to do with the US group Mate.

Here's a bit more background on the original girls and how the film came about.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.smh.com.a...0803-23ksm.html

They were a group of girls that went out to Vietnam to entertain our troops during the conflict and performed mostly Motown songs. We went to see them in a live play here a couple of years ago and it was brilliant. if you get a chance to see it i would highly recommend you get a ticket. I have a couple of full colour posters that i " lifted " from the Perth venue if anyone wants one. Just pay the postage and the poster is FREE. Sizeswise the poster measures about 26 X 20 inches. PM me if you want one. Tony, Perth, W.A.
Social source share

The casting of the film is highly questionable though : the original girls were teenagers, however Mailman is 40 years old (!) and Mauboy is 23 years old while all four of the film actresses have what can only be described as overly full figures which do not in the least resemble the svelte shapes of the original girls.

Bit like casting of the leads in most of those 6T's Beach Movies ... where Frankie Avalon and Annette Funnicello for example were well out of their teens .

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL. There was a very good article on OUTLOOK on the BBC World Service this morning 3am GMT, clips of all Northern Hits, History of group with focus on a new film about the group, and the racism they face being native Australians, well worth a listen,

Does the WORLD SERVICE do repeats or whatever they call it????/ RECOMMEND to all :rofl: DAVE K

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zc0ck About 7 mins in

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!