7Th Avenue Aviators Vs. Frankie Carl

Guest gibber

Thanks for the reply Steve

Sorry meant what label,. Did RS play it on Congress and someone realises got the same on Philtown

So what’s the story about different labels?

Social source share

Frankie Karl was originally from LA where he sang in gospel choirs with the likes of Gloria Jones & Billy Preston.

He joined the US airforce & it was in that period that he helped form the Chevrons.

I believe that the F.K. & Chevrons tracks were cut in Philly under the direction of Dave Chackler who went on to be a big promotions guy for Mercury / Smash Records (he was credited with breaking Jay & the Techniques "Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie").

After he left the airforce, Frankie returned to LA and there hooked up with (U)gene Dozier. Gene cut him in LA on a song titled "Don't Be Afraid" but then Gene relocated to DC. He released the track on a DC 45 & it hit big -- the 45 being picked up for national distribution by Bell.

Gene had failed to sign Frankie to a contract & so with a hit on his hands, he signed with the label that offered him the most money (Liberty) and never had another hit !!.

Social source share

..same recording though isn't it?

My memory says no...the Philtown sounds a touch more sparse/group-sounding in its production.

I'd put rarity in this order...rarest first:

Red Philtown

Green/yellow Philtown

WD Philtown

WD Congress

...unless there is a stock copy on Congress, as I've never seen one.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I thought the recordings were the same except the into was longer on one?

The intro percussion, especially the more 'thuddier' bass-drum (Philtown), and tambourine work (far higher/crisper on Congress) are different...I had WDs on both labels at one stage and can recall there was a difference.

:g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

searling played frankie karl first late 79 covered as the showmen 7th avenue aviators ws played a year or so later

Would say thats how I remember it too

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 28/10/2012 at 12:11, Roburt said:

Frankie Karl was originally from LA where he sang in gospel choirs with the likes of Gloria Jones & Billy Preston.

He joined the US airforce & it was in that period that he helped form the Chevrons.

I believe that the F.K. & Chevrons tracks were cut in Philly under the direction of Dave Chackler who went on to be a big promotions guy for Mercury / Smash Records (he was credited with breaking Jay & the Techniques "Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie").

After he left the airforce, Frankie returned to LA and there hooked up with (U)gene Dozier. Gene cut him in LA on a song titled "Don't Be Afraid" but then Gene relocated to DC. He released the track on a DC 45 & it hit big -- the 45 being picked up for national distribution by Bell.

Gene had failed to sign Frankie to a contract & so with a hit on his hands, he signed with the label that offered him the most money (Liberty) and never had another hit !!.

Frankie was also in the group The Tripps on Victoria. I interviewed him 10 years ago while he was working for DHL. 

Sadly no longer with us.  

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70
On 29 October 2012 at 09:06, bri pinch said:

The Flip...used to have a red Philtown copy many moons ago, another one that got away i guess :(

Am I the only one on this site that knew the flip before the "Northern" side? It was well liked by a lot of Soul-Harmony/Group fans. I remember a relative hearing You Should O Held on and asking if it was the Dirty Dancing soundtrack....!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!