News: Terry Callier - Rip

binsy

Guest Andy Kempster

Very sad news. Spent an amazing night at the jazz cafe witnessing him in all his glory. A true legend gone but will always hold a place in my heart. Dont want to see myself without you. RIP

Social source share

he played lemon tree in aberdeen a few years ago & thought id get a ticket easy.

left it to late & was sold out.

i did think he would just be playing songs off his new cd @ the time.

found out he sang just want see myself & ordinary joe.

another one i missed.

rip.

Social source share

Guest soulcamper

Sad Sad news - a very under rated artiste who transcended all styles of music, Soul, Jazz, Blues, Country & Gospel - RIP Mr Callier.......

Social source share

There's a time in your life when you step onto a dance floor for the first time. You're nervous, slightly unsure of yourself, trying to find your feet. Take a 'Look at Me Now' was that classic that always calmed me down, and made everything in the world feel ok. What a track, what a voice.

RIP Terry. Thanks man.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Very sad news. Spent an amazing night at the jazz cafe witnessing him in all his glory. A true legend gone but will always hold a place in my heart. Dont want to see myself without you. RIP

Social source share

Very sad news indeed. One of the very best singers and songwriters, a great performer and by all accounts a true gentleman.

'Dancing Girl' is a masterpiece.

RIP MR Callier.

Social source share

I bought "look at me now " late 1977 as an unknown to myself.got home and played it,my first reaction was what the hello have I bought here. Nothing like the wigan tunes I was used to . Little did I know that it would become one of my favourite tunes and one of the most popular records on the northern soul scene ever R.I.P terry callier

Social source share

A lovely and talented man. He had a nightmare plane journey to the UK for his first vist and the plane was so delayed he had to travel straight from the airport to rehearsals up in Willesden. Though utterly drained he was happy to rehearse and as soon as the music struck up the energy and life just flowed back right into him. The jazz and funk scene then fell in love with him and he was a star in the UK and relatively unknown at home. He deserved all his acclaim.

Ady,

just smiling at this.

I was tasked with looking after Terry - and his daughter Sundiata - when he was in London that time. At 21 it was the first time I had ever had to do such a thing and I was a little nervous. I made my way up to Willesden, walked in and before I could work out what was going on, I saw Terry, acoustic guitar in hand running through 'Ordinary Joe'. It was an absolutely amazing introduction to a lovely lovely man, who deserved all the success he got in his later years.

Dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!