Big Name Djs Holding Back

steve z

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Until it is Known /£hundreds of 'em :lol: IE wait until its safe..........Most name DJs don't break a record nowadays Do they? shhh.gif:P Stevie z

I play new stuff.......but then again the only big in 3 places bust, waist, and arse...does this count? ha ha ha :shades:

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Until it is Known /£hundreds of 'em :shades: IE wait until its safe..........Most name DJs don't break a record nowadays Do they? :lol::P Stevie z
Depends WHO you mean by a name DJ??????????????? shhh.gif
Social source share

there are two scenes imo. oldies & upfront.

oldies dj's breaking new tunes? not really.

upfront dj's breaking new tunes? quite a few yes

simple answer really steve. or am i missing the point?

cheers

Shane

Social source share

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane ,to me your reply is part of the answer IMO.I was also thinking about at what point and how long time wise ,before said tune "takes off" ?Many years ago I heard Roger Banks playing Teddy Randazzo........ but it was quite sometime after that before I heard it played out at a mainstream venue.ATB Steve
Social source share

cheers

Shane

youre missing somink

maybe all those other venues out there that play all sorts which down here is just about all of em.

Social source share

cheers

Shane

personally would add a dj in the middle...one that plays tunes that are known but not often played, certtainly not at your mainstream events). Not that many dj's playing new records (new discoveries). not that many venues either.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Those out there who know me well will tell you I love a 'new un' however I need to defend that very normal person who 'used' to hit the NS scene circa 71/78 who now really do enjoy meeting up in their respective Towns and Citys and really, REALLY enjoy nothing else than some good ole fashioned nostalgia.

I sometimes think the older this scene gets the bigger the blinkers some wear, ladys in there late 40's who pay to patronise a venue who don't spend all day discussing the Bell sound stamp in the run out groove have as much right to enjoy 'the' music as anyone else.

I

Edited by PaulDonely
Social source share

Think one of the reasons that records are not "broken" easily is down to the amount of venues per month all spread around the country. Back in the day when Mecca & Wigan were the weekly gigs the same djs would push their new discoveries to generally the same attendees. Put a Sunday All Dayer in the mix & you would here a "new" tune possibly 6 or 7 times during that weekend - two or three weeks later that record was "big"- sometimes even overnight.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Think one of the reasons that records are not "broken" easily is down to the amount of venues per month all spread around the country. Back in the day when Mecca & Wigan were the weekly gigs the same djs would push their new discoveries to generally the same attendees. Put a Sunday All Dayer in the mix & you would here a "new" tune possibly 6 or 7 times during that weekend - two or three weeks later that record was "big"- sometimes even overnight.

You need several copies of a record in various parts of the country to make it big. Patrinell Staton for example, Butch played this for ages and was basically only known to the nighter regulars, once others got hold of copy and played more or less at soul nights all over if soon went big all over.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!