News: Northern Soul - A Photographic Journey

Guest Brian Cannon

Welcome to Soul Source Brian...

I have seen already 1st hand what you are about and its gonna be a great project....

Love the quote from Chalky about lifeline photos :D ....

Good luck with the project and look forward to the finished product and seeing how you go along the way....

To have the chance to capture what is the greatest ever underground music scene, is a blessing indeed....

Social source share

If I can, I would like to say that Brian's work is outstanding. I have had first hand experience of his work and was immensely impressed.

Brian very kindly came to the last 'Leeds Central' alldayer, and snapped some amazing photographs of the event.

Brian comes highly recommended and his project looks like it's going to be a sure fire winner.

Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

I have absolutely no doubt you are a very good photographer, but i was hoping you would bring something new to the table. Sorry, but these kind of photo`s are as old & tired as the baggy trousers & backdrops of the people in them, & a few shadows aint going to fix that.

I can`t understand why any photographer would want to document a scene that has had its best days & photo`s opportunities firmly behind it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I am not sure he could have brought anything new to the table for you when you are obviously disparaging of the current scene. It sounds like you have already experienced your best days on the scene but no need to knock it for all the people who are currently loving it. Ady

MODERATION NOTE: Please don't continue this discussion on this thread. The original post doesn't really add anything (e.g. it is equivalent to posting "this song songs" on a thread about a song you don't like), and the response insulting the poster ups the ante. There is at least something positive in this thread that would be derailed by a petty side argument. Garv, if you feel the need to make some sort of deeper point, feel free to start another thread, and please don't be insulted. Thanks.

Social source share

Ady, sorry if my post came across as a criticism of you since I responded to you, it was actually of the post you were responding to saying not to encourage the discussion, I was just trying to cut off meaningless negativity at the start. Too many positive threads get bogged down by side sniping and bitching. I hope nobody feels the need to continue this sub-thread. If people feel that there is a meaningful discussion to be had, please start another thread. Thank you.

Social source share

Boba, its just opinions. If i criticise the pictures then i have to expect others to defend them & post accordingly.

you have a right to an opinion on anything. but as I noted, it's no different than if you went into every thread about a record you didn't like and said "this sucks". You don't have any deeper point and are just adding the negativity that is dragging down the site for no reason. I told you if you had some sort of more important point to make to start a new thread. You haven't done so. So you're just like an old man in a retirement home complaining with no purpose. You think it's appropriate to drag down a thread with petty sniping and are actually encouraging people to argue with you. Unless you have something actually important to add (positive OR negative), you're accomplishing nothing except adding negativity to the site. I told you to cut it off and I'm not censoring you, I told you you could start a new thread if you actually had something important to add. Apparently you don't. Please cut it off, the thread is already being ruined.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi

Being a professional photographer myself I have enjoyed looking at Brian's images documenting the northern soul scene nowadays.By imaginative use of flash his portraits of both young and old, whether in motion or static,in my eyes, capture the sense of devotion, isolation on the floor yet cameraderie that exists.

I always intended to document the scene to some degree when I used to go to allnighters in the 80s but was too busy dancing and enjoying myself.

Nowadays I really wish that I had made the effort to get some good images from then,if you look at pics that are posted in members galleries from that era the quality is crap, snapshots shot on low end equipment.

Capturing people in motion and not ending up with a 'statue' like direct flash or, alternately blurred image is very difficult and Brian should be applauded for dedicating his skills and time to this project.

In the future his images will be the ones that will be archived when most others will be in a box in the garage or lost into countless computer hardrives as most photography ends up nowadays.

Nick.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi

Being a professional photographer myself I have enjoyed looking at Brian's images documenting the northern soul scene nowadays.By imaginative use of flash his portraits of both young and old, whether in motion or static,in my eyes, capture the sense of devotion, isolation on the floor yet cameraderie that exists.

I always intended to document the scene to some degree when I used to go to allnighters in the 80s but was too busy dancing and enjoying myself.

Nowadays I really wish that I had made the effort to get some good images from then,if you look at pics that are posted in members galleries from that era the quality is crap, snapshots shot on low end equipment.

Capturing people in motion and not ending up with a 'statue' like direct flash or, alternately blurred image is very difficult and Brian should be applauded for dedicating his skills and time to this project.

In the future his images will be the ones that will be archived when most others will be in a box in the garage or lost into countless computer hardrives as most photography ends up nowadays.

Nick.

A very good point Nick, i really wish i had some good snaps to look back on from my early days on the scene, as you say, the quality is very very poor, mine included... I really wish there had been someone to take thew time to get some quality snaps but as you said, too busy dancing and getting wasted :D..

Gonna be interesting to see what Brian comes up with.. As with anything soul related and topic related we will have those that are in favour, indifferent and negative, thats life...

Look out for Brian folks if he is at a venue near you, he is a good guy and knows not to get in the way, he seems to get what he wants without too much fuss..

Remember film crews of the past wanting to capture footage for tv etc, these f"ckers were a pain in the arse with wanting to light up the dance floor and invade our space ..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi

Nick.

Some good ones from the 80's at Stafford on my Flickr page that Neil Salter took.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/crosseyedbear/sets/72157630679874788/

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Being one of the lucky beneficaries of Brian's photography whilst deejaying at both the Central and the Class of 72 gigs, I can only applaud the quality of work that Brian is producing. One of the reasons that we all love the scene so much is the atmosphere and I think Brian manages to capture it extremely well.Keep it up Brian, looking forward to bumping into you at another gig soon.

Social source share

One of my photo's which I am proud of but no where near Brian's quality

post-6352-0-18399300-1352282028_thumb.jpLove Brian's photo's, The use of light and shadows brings a new dimension to this art form never scene before on this subject, it's a shame some of the grainy 70's photo's can't be edited to get the same feeling as Brian gets. Respect to you Brain and keep up the good work

Edited by Illya
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Awesome stuff Brian, and i like how discreet you are when going about your work at people's events.

If only you could've made it down to Driving Beat last time, it was packed! BUT, you're welcome anytime as i think you're project is going to deliver something great. Fully echo the comments so far (well the good ones anyway)

Azza

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of the conditions that were discussed with Brian when he asked to do the the 'Leeds Central', was that he was as inconspicuous as possible, as I was slightly concerned that the crowd may get a little spooked if he stood and photographed them in full view.

I swear, apart from greeting Brian on his arrival, I never saw him again until the end of the night.

I think he must have put on his invisible cloak, yet the end result was outstanding and he had obviously got right in there and captured some stunning images.

Again I can wholly recommend Brian for any event near you, and look forward to the finished product.

Social source share

Must say I lap up stuff like this - good work Brian!

Very atmospheric, though it does sort of reinforce the 'black hole of the dancefloor' that seems to be so beloved of the scene. You've clearly worked hard to capture some great images - myself, I'd happily see soul nights that weren't so obsessive about the lack of light so that I could see a bit more of the people and venue. Probably almost blasphemous to say that.

I'm certainly not after the flashing lights and gimmicks of a disco, just a bit of help to see who's dancing or sitting nearby!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

I've been on the Northern Scene for the past 26 years but I have also known Brian Cannon since I was at least 10 years old. I know the man is very talented and what he does is from pure passion. I love the work you're doing Brian and I know you're a top bloke too. Nice one my old friend x

Social source share

Had the pleasure of meeting Brian when he came over to Barcelona to 'shoot' the Movin' On Weekender and am looking forward to catching up with him again at Radcliffe this weekend. My advise is if you see him at your local event then have a chat with him. He's as nice a guy you're ever likely to meet and he's very open about what he's doing - more than happy to explain the technical side of his work and, as discussed above, never in anybody's face.

He's not just some bloke with a camera and nor is he trying to bring something new to the table - it's his profession and he's simply documenting the scene as it is today. Check out some of his other work - he was the artistic director for Oasis & Verve and has produced some of the most iconic album covers.

Andrew.

(Is that all right Bri? Don't forget the Vodka :thumbup: )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!