Dilemma! Can A Crack Be Fixed?

there are ways to prevent the crack from progressing further. but does it snap back in in a way that the crack is temporarily not visible? put the record on the turntable so it's flat, push in at the point of the crack. Do the grooves line up so there is no click when playing, or is it cracked in such a way that that it's out of shape and that can't happen?

Social source share

there are ways to prevent the crack from progressing further. but does it snap back in in a way that the crack is temporarily not visible? put the record on the turntable so it's flat, push in at the point of the crack. Do the grooves line up so there is no click when playing, or is it cracked in such a way that that it's out of shape and that can't happen?

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes it is a tiny crack and can be lined up so as not to be too visible, but still clicks when playing.
Social source share

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes it is a tiny crack and can be lined up so as not to be too visible, but still clicks when playing.

if you can't snap it in perfectly (which is unusual, you did push on the crack while it was on the platter right?) I would avoid playing with it more and just be careful.

Social source share

I pushed the crack on a perfectly flat glass table top, it id click into place ok, but just a bit worried about it going any further.

I have heard that there are ways but not how it's done.

Thanks for the help anyway.

you can do things to stabilize it. most involve burning the edge of the record in different ways so the vinyl melts together. i'm just saying i would only do so if it fits perfectly in place because otherwise you are securing something that isn't straight anyways.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you can do things to stabilize it. most involve burning the edge of the record in different ways so the vinyl melts together. i'm just saying i would only do so if it fits perfectly in place because otherwise you are securing something that isn't straight anyways.

Yes I understand that it would have to be perfectly aligned before attempting anything like that.

How would you acheive the burning process? a cigarette end maybe, just on the edge where the crack is?

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I understand that it would have to be perfectly aligned before attempting anything like that.

How would you acheive the burning process? a cigarette end maybe, just on the edge where the crack is?

I've heard people say to heat up a needle and burn like an x in to the crack. i was never successful with that, i heat up a fork on the stove and lightly push the fork into the edge of the crack. it creates a tiny dent which you can actually shape back if you care by then using the fork on the edges of the record. but that seems to weaken the hold.

i recently got a record that I think had a fixed crack, it was impressive technique. the person clearly used a needle to burn three tiny lines together on each side in the run in groove. it was super strong.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldnt dare to experience with heat on vinyl. not saying it wont work, just wouldnt like to see myself causing even worse damage to the record. If you dont care to much for the records flipside my (tested and approved ;) method is to tape the flipside. If you do it accurate you wont hear any clicks and also stabilize the vinyl to prevent the crack form getting bigger.

Social source share

I wouldnt dare to experience with heat on vinyl. not saying it wont work, just wouldnt like to see myself causing even worse damage to the record. If you dont care to much for the records flipside my (tested and approved ;) method is to tape the flipside. If you do it accurate you wont hear any clicks and also stabilize the vinyl to prevent the crack form getting bigger.

you can practice on garbage records before you try it on expensive ones.

Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

I have repaired cracked records, but my worry is whether playing a cracked record would damage the stylus on my record player.

Andy

Social source share

I have repaired cracked records, but my worry is whether playing a cracked record would damage the stylus on my record player.

Andy

if it is a tight crack where you can't hear anything, then no. otherwise you could compare it to playing a scratched record, it probably does cause wear on your needle.

Social source share

Can't remember who it was (poss Nick Brown?), but some-one had a copy of Ray Pollard 'This Time' that was broken into 3 pieces so he glued the 3 pieces on top of another worthless 45 and it pretty sure it played fine....

it was probably hard to play the other side though

Social source share

Can't remember who it was (poss Nick Brown?), but some-one had a copy of Ray Pollard 'This Time' that was broken into 3 pieces so he glued the 3 pieces on top of another worthless 45 and it pretty sure it played fine....
Los Chansonettes, cracked in 2, glued onto a Sonday 45 (Constellations? you could hear the tic as it played :thumbsup:He got it from Keb Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!