Articles: Gil Scott-Heron: The Revolution Begins

Dean Rudland

The three albums Gil Scott-Heron recorded for Bob Thiele’s Flying Dutchman label are some of the most important in the history of black music. They show a multi-talented artist reaching maturity with his first recorded efforts. ‘The Revolution Will Not Be Televised’ transcended its place as an album track to become an aphorism, a slogan on a T-shirt,

Click here to view this soul source article in full

Great article about a very important and influential artist.

Thanks for sharing.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't think he was actually a member Kegsy but he was certainly associated with them & used some of their material I think.

Such a sad demise of a great man in the end, proper downward spiral, jail & HIV.

Always loved this one..

Aid.

Everybodys got a pistol, everybodys got a forty five.

And we dont need no RE-Ron either.

If anybody knew Ag-knew.

Will stop now probably miles in front of most on here.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Everybodys got a pistol, everybodys got a forty five.

And we dont need no RE-Ron either.

If anybody knew Ag-knew.

Will stop now probably miles in front of most on here.

Kegsy

Yeah, he was full of clever little play on words.

H2O gate Blues, fabulous.

Another fav lyric I like......

'And since John Wayne was no longer available, they settled for Ronald Reagan'

Class.

Aid.

Social source share

Yeah, he was full of clever little play on words.

H2O gate Blues, fabulous.

Another fav lyric I like......

'And since John Wayne was no longer available, they settled for Ronald Reagan'

Class.

Aid.

From the brilliant "B Movie" Aid, checkout the live version on Youtube, I had it on video for years when it was part of a documentary they showed on him in the mid 80,s BTW he calls him Ronald the Ray gun, fooking brilliant, and the lead up rap to the actual song is brilliant and so true

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Amen to all that. He was the man when he was at the height of his powers. The thing that sometimes gets overlooked with Gil was just how funny he was. I saw him live many times and he'd always do a little soliloquy / mini stand up routine.

Jaws - ain't hardly no black people in no horror movies. Genius.

Social source share

Amen to all that. He was the man when he was at the height of his powers. The thing that sometimes gets overlooked with Gil was just how funny he was. I saw him live many times and he'd always do a little soliloquy / mini stand up routine.

Jaws - ain't hardly no black people in no horror movies. Genius.

For sure. He's one of those artists that I'm saving for old age along with John Coltrane, Miles Davis and numerous Jazz and Southern Soul recordings because that's when I'll have the time to listen to them properly. The last time I had the luxury of listening to full albums from beginning to end was back in the early 70's, so I'm saving a lot of stuff for future listening and I put Gil in that catergory. I saw him in Sheffield in the 70's and it was a great gig but "The Bottle" was what everyone was waiting for and I think most of us either lacked the sensibility or were too young to fully appreciate his depth. I'm looking forward to it if I can just prise one of those sets off Dean LOL.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!