De Grey Rooms Ballroom York

Great to hear the ' holy grail' of venues is back after a decade , starting with the York charity northern soul all dayer on New Years Day 2013 - then 3 more alldayers . Now fully restored to its former glory, including the wall to wall sprung wooden dance floor , any photos or memories would be gratefully received . I certainly remember a particularly memorable event in 1980 when we came to York as part of a tour with Perterboro mod band 'The Name' and were supported by local York band 'The Scene' . What i didn't know until recently is that the djs for that night were Andy Hudson and Chris Holmes - great times .

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Andy,

Thanks for starting this for me. I am over the moon that this venue has been secured after the extensive refurbishment. It is absolutely stunning with the winding staircase, huge doors that open up onto the ballroom, sprung wooden dancefloor and just overall historic feel, look and ambience. And there is history with the Northern Soul scene. It's all in a fabulous cause too and wonderful way to bring in the New Year. More details to go up so keep watching this space.

Cheers Y'All,

Jay Cee

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest brivinyl

for the history buffs found this

https://www.yorkconse...egreyrooms.html

the ballroom looks incrediable on the video and what a dance floor.....

A venue that holds many memories for me. DJed there many times in the seventies and eighties.

Watch them decks guys because when the dance floor is packed it bounces ! We used to sit the decks on polystyrene and foam to stop the play arms jumping across the records !

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

I certainly remember a particularly memorable event in 1980 when we came to York as part of a tour with Perterboro mod band 'The Name' and were supported by local York band 'The Scene' . What i didn't know until recently is that the djs for that night were Andy Hudson and Chris Holmes - great times .

Did you play in the band The Name Andy ? I remember DJing at a York event they played at. Think it was latish 1979 .

Social source share

killermetersmodtourposterSMALL.png

Oh how the years pass by !!! :huh:

great memories of Vic Vespa and the lads from Huddersfeild and one when The Name were on tour with them, The Killermeters 'over indulged' and incapable of getting on stage to perform at Scarboro Penthouse venue .... Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Did you play in the band The Name Andy ? I remember DJing at a York event they played at. Think it was latish 1979 .

i wish....only did the management thing for them . Signed a 2 single , 5 album deal with Virgin's dindisc label and had a fabulous time for a couple of years including on the road in the labels american tour bus until the band split up after only releasing one 45 . Then in 2002 Detour Records released a retrospective LP and cd of previously unreleased material

https://www.detour-re....uk/drcd033.htm

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

i wish....only did the management thing for them . Signed a 2 single , 5 album deal with Virgin's dindisc label and had a fabulous time for a couple of years including on the road in the labels american tour bus until the band split up after only releasing one 45 . Then in 2002 Detour Records released a retrospective LP and cd of previously unreleased material

https://www.detour-re....uk/drcd033.htm

the 45 b side (and Peter Saville - factory records/joy division designed pic cover )

website info

https://historyofthename.tripod.com/

the 'hit single' :lol: (a side)

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

A venue that holds many memories for me. DJed there many times in the seventies and eighties.

Watch them decks guys because when the dance floor is packed it bounces ! We used to sit the decks on polystyrene and foam to stop the play arms jumping across the records !

Hi Bri , just spoken to Jay re your valued advice . A large professional Pa ,with sound engineer will be used , with the techncs decks on inflatable cushions .The sprung wooden dance floor is magnificent , one of the very best , and yes it does bounce (as it should) .There's also going to be a 2nd chill out/freestyle room at the 3 further charity all dayers in 2013 at the venue.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Larry Lambretta revisiting my youth, I was MC that night using that name to introduce the bands on stage as well as DJ with Chris Holmes Yep I remember introducing the Killometers VIC Vespa, AKA VIC Vomit in another life. CO2, or Checkmates local York band average age must have been around 16 but they were tight and good band.The eldest brother of the lead singer of the Checkmates was on the Scene John Jones. I remember at the end of that night, it ended up with a fight and I had a box of records pinched. THE SCENE were managed by my mate, Rodjer Young who also promoted the night who ended making a loss after the damage caused but a great night

Edited by Illya
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Any photos to post Andy ?

Those were the days.....never realised that despite a good crowd in, that the event lost money for The Scene's Manager and promoter .He certainly did right by the The Name, though they incured their own financial loss that night through their on stage demolition act , followed by bassist Dave Colton throwing his guitar to the crowd which was deftly caught mid air by a punter who then attempted a quick escape down the stairs , followed by yours truly and after 'a few words' managed to retrive....

Watched by a bemused York University Entertainments secretary , he then booked The Name ,at an inflated fee, to return to York - another great gig but then proceeded to complain the band hadn't smashed up all their equipment again as part of the 'encore' .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!