Omnibus: Volume 1 Re-Issued Boxset ?

What exactly was this box-set about?

I not usually interested in none OVO, but some interesting records here Sag War Fair, Rokk, Two plus Two.

Presuming they all legit re-releases & not boots.

Just wondering how many records it consisted & how much was it to buy originally?

heres a link to the seller, check his other items for other records in the box set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251177778879

Aid

Social source share

What exactly was this box-set about?

I not usually interested in none OVO, but some interesting records here Sag War Fair, Rokk, Two plus Two.

Presuming they all legit re-releases & not boots.

Just wondering how many records it consisted & how much was it to buy originally?

heres a link to the seller, check his other items for other records in the box set.

https://www.ebay.com/...em=251177778879

Aid

Hi Aid

Here's a link to a thread already started ,that should help straighten things out for you

Out of co-incidence i was just about to post up on here about the same seller on ebay who is obviously re-selling the box set as individuals ,and i good time before the less informed amongst us twig on that they are all just re-issues :(

But my post was gonna be about the reasons behind how naughty it is to make them look-a -like to the originals :yes:

To be fair though and to his credit ,this seller is actually listing em with enough info to suggest they are not originals ...so as far as im concerned ..those buying em are either thick or have a totally different agenda .... as in ,they don't give a flying f**k and are happy to pay over the top for re-issues .

Let's face it , they are gonna be a lot cheaper than the original and if it means theyve got them to play out ,then it's all worth while eh :thumbsup:

Just makes me feel sorry for anyone who's a O.V.O dj ,who's payed big money for the originals :(

I wonder if the bidders know they could end up paying more for one 45 than a full box set :lol:

Social source share

i perfectly understand going for some of these reissues.. i want 1 or 2. yeah the box is 250$ but + shipping + almost certain custom.. it's more 350$ then.

and if you don't like all these tunes why not go for a few.. and they obviously ain't gonna be cheap as usual... though cheaper then 490$ :)

great release btw!

Social source share

really? but for $490? for one reissue? i'm sorry, but that is just absolutely stupid.

I think the problem may be is that the bidders didn't realise it was a reissue.

I've been looking for Aggregation for a while - nothing - then two appear. The first one was a cheap start as about $11, but went for more than I bidded (It was an original). No problems, there's always the second copy in a day or two. So, a day or so later I was ready to pounce on this second one, still at the opening price of $5, and noticed almost at the last minute that it was a Numero reissue. The labels are very close to the originals, and as they had never been seen before, I very nearly fell into the trap.

It could be a similar case with the $490 disc.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

i perfectly understand going for some of these reissues.. i want 1 or 2. yeah the box is 250$ but + shipping + almost certain custom.. it's more 350$ then.

and if you don't like all these tunes why not go for a few.. and they obviously ain't gonna be cheap as usual... though cheaper then 490$ :)

great release btw!

If HHV (or HVV?) get them in, at least there will be no customs to worry about. The're in Germany and seem to have all the previous Numero Uno stuff - I had the Boddie and Syl Johnson boxes from them last year.

Social source share

even though it says reissue in the auction title & description?

Yes, agreed they should have checked more closely, but I meant that if you see something that you know has never been reissued, it could fool you. In my case I did look closely, but only as an afterthought. I see the Procedures record did say reissue in the title so the bidders should have paid more attention. I don't think Aggregation title said reissue, just in the description.

Mick

Social source share

is it possible the bidders are from another country and don't understand english?

In that case, they should ask someone to translate the description to their language.

It's just plain stupid to spend $490 on anything if you don't know what you're actually buying.

The item description and title are VERY upfront with the fact that it is a reissue and comes from the Numero box-set.

Social source share

Guest stonedsoul

In that case, they should ask someone to translate the description to their language.

It's just plain stupid to spend $490 on anything if you don't know what you're actually buying.

The item description and title are VERY upfront with the fact that it is a reissue and comes from the Numero box-set.

yeah i personally like reissues with the original labels and agree that its the bidders fault in this case for not knowing/doing the research!

Social source share

Guest stonedsoul

by the way i added up all the totals for the numero records this guy was selling and he made roughly $1,870 plus he's still selling the box which is currently at $26! nice investment!

Social source share

you cannot blame numero for making a lookalike, fault lies with the bidder here IMO.

Ok ,maybe a bit harsh ,but when they did the Willie Wright on hotel ,they didn't do a look a like replica .

In fairness though ,from a personal point of view ,I just don't get it ,have no interest in re-issues full stop .

I can't understand paying over $250 on a gift wrapped box of rare 45's that are only look- a - like .

The book ,the info ,a cd yeah ,even good quality mp3's ,but not vinyl look - a - likes :(

They are essentially copies of records championed by the " rare soul " fraternity ,so who is the market aimed at ..stamp collecting soulies ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The numero reissues are all in special designed sleeves that differentiate them even if the labels look the same. the sellers so far haven't tried to hide that. some of the other recent lookalike reissues (e.g. the wheedle's groove) look like the original with nothing differentiating them.

Social source share

These reissues simply kill the scene, the fun of record collecting and evrything I like about rare soul records. Who should travel to an allnighter to hear Sag War Fare for example, if some fool with a funny haircut will surely play it in the pub next door? I'm so tired of these reissues and I don't care anymore if they are legit or boots. These companies, who are responsible for this, don't even wait 2 or 3 years till the records are played out. Salt & Pepper for example was reissued when it was at it's blooming height, same for the Hopkins Bros. And this box is the cream of the crap. Stop it please!

far out Lars, tell us how you really feel :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

..... These reissues simply kill the scene, the fun of record collecting and evrything I like about rare soul records .....

Got to say that I couldn't disagree more.

Why would I want to pay $1000+ for a beat up original 45 that sounds crap when I can get a new mint re-issue for $10 & enjoy the sound of the track in pristine condition.

I seem to recall some nonedescript saying ... it's what's in the grooves that counts ....

Surely you want to listen to these tracks, not just salivate all over the vinyl just coz its an 'original'.

Social source share

..... These reissues simply kill the scene, the fun of record collecting and evrything I like about rare soul records .....

Got to say that I couldn't disagree more.

Why would I want to pay $1000+ for a beat up original 45 that sounds crap when I can get a new mint re-issue for $10 & enjoy the sound of the track in pristine condition.

I seem to recall some nonedescript saying ... it's what's in the grooves that counts ....

Surely you want to listen to these tracks, not just salivate all over the vinyl just coz its an 'original'.

Get a mp3 of any record you want and put it on a carver or you could even get a bunch of mp3's and stick em on a 12" vinyl :)

There's no authentic feel of picking up a re-issue surely ?

I have a friend who likes wearing Lacoste shirts ..his wife got offered one for a bargain ,so being a nice caring partner ,thought she would treat him .

It was in a Lacoste box ,had the authentic paper wrapping inside the box with the crocodile logo on ,neatly clipped and pinned just as you'd expect on such a special item ....

She handed him his present ..but within minutes her warm smile turned to sadness ,her husband knew within minutes that it was not a original but a clever copy :(

The moral of the story is ,there's no substitute for a original no matter how you dress it up !

P.s

I'd rather hold a scruffy original and put up with a few crackles myself :)

Social source share

Roburt, how about getting an even cleaner sounding MP3 then to listen to? More comfy even, as you don´t have to put a needle on the vinyl...

Coz I like the physical item, I'm too old to be a computer wizard and last time I checked if my computer self destructs, I've lost all the digital tracks. So give me vinyl (or CD) anytime.

After all, there's no authentic feel to playing an mp3, I'd much rather pick up an actual re-issue !!!!

......... thought it's still only the sound that matters ( I.E. it's what's in the grooves that counts).

Social source share

Honestly, I can't think of anything else that would HELP the scene in the sense of getting new collectors into soul 45s and collecting 45s. What's going to kill off a scene based on 7" vinyl is not allowing anyone new to get into collecting. Them putting this out there is giving people a party in a box. Not a "northern soul event" but the people will be excited to having and playing 7" vinyl. And all the "there are other records to play out there" people really has nothing to do with this argument. Doing a really cool reissue with a box and getting younger people into playing 45s is going to get more people involved with soul 45s. Having a snotty attitude about how they aren't entitled to have them isn't.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

If you collect original records then you don't need a hundred words to describe the feeling and pleasure in getting a genuine record, you'll understand because you have a special desire and passion that comes with collecting any of the genres within the eclectic soul scene, i could care less about a re-issue, personally it holds nothing for me, i see Bob's viewpoint on the Numero groups output and the rewards the actual artists get, that's great don't think anybody would knock any musician getting a monetary award (no matter how many years later). I guess the chasing and collecting of originals is a personal choice, i can honestly say when i'm out and about i am surrounded by like minded folks, not sure if i could spend hours discussing the collecting of re-issues, that would seem hollow and meaningless, glad i have the desire to collect original records, the bottom line for me, is that its fun and addictive, i enjoy the 'rush, it's my own legal high....But we aren't all the same are we.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/the-procedures-give-me-one-more-chance-magic-mirror-reissue-soul-funk-omnibus-/251177747119?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a7b5c42af

Perhaps we should be supportive of the winning bidder, they obviously must need detailed medical help, it's alarming how people will pay $490...£308 !!!!

for this item, the whole box set is only $250 !!!.... A fool and his money are soon parted.....

Social source share

Hi Bob

I think the guys at Número have and are still doing a fantastic job .

They have dug out and brought us some amazing information on many artists who deserve recognition for what great music they gave us .

That is unquestionable and they too deserve recognition and financial reward for doing such a great job .

I wonder though ,if all this work would have even happened if it hadn't been for the "northern soul " scene ?

Like it or not ,without the guys who have bought and paid for those elusive records in the first place ,they would never have been researched by número ?

I don't wanna start a ten page essay about who discovered what ,when or what country he was from .if he was a soul collector or funk ,.but making statements about people at the Grammys not knowing about " northern soul " ,well they must just be ignorant and maybe someone should educate those nice folk sipping champagne cocktails and maybe have an award given to people who found the 45's and brought em to our attention ..the Andersons ,Levine ,Manship et al ,Dante Carfagne ,Jason P etc ..surely without these guys ,most of the stuff researched by Número would be landfill plastic and history would have never known about a big part of Black American music :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

my point was not to dis the northern scene and i'm not trying to get into an argument about who discovered what but if you look at the track list, the only track that was clearly established by the "northern scene" was walter and the admerations. and *maybe* the rokk.

either way, i don't understand what who discovered what track has to do with anything I said before. I don't even think the admerations record is good, I think it's included almost as a nod to the northern scene. reissuing the records in the box (most of which aren't even northern, most are funk/sweet records) will only get more people interested in 45s.

and maybe I didn't bring the records to your attention, but many of the records are records I've had for a long time and brought to numero's attention.

Social source share

and my point about the grammys was just to say that numero has a much wider audience than the northern audience, and most of the people who bought the syl johnson box set (who are going to be many of the people buying this box) don't know or care about northern soul. and even if this box would not be possible without northern soul (which I'm not seeing), it still doesn't mean that the people buying the box need to care. if the box were a northern-oriented box maybe, but it's clearly not.

Social source share

the numero reissues have nothing to do with the northern soul scene. they have a much larger audience. most of the people buying the box are not northern DJs. If they have the side effect of "killing the scene" somehow I doubt they care, they are involved in uncovering, documenting, and paying the artists and producers and making a much larger public hear the music. If reissuing good music and actually paying the artists somehow "kills the scene", what kind of scene is that?

last year they were at the grammys, they got nominated for best packaging for their syl johnson box set. i'm pretty sure just about no one at the grammys has heard of "northern soul".

The Syl Johnson box is something completely different; it tells the story of an underrated artist (or a part of it). I ain't got a problem with unearthing unreleased stuff or making quality reissues, that document a label and artist or a certain sound with good linernotes by people in the know. I like and even own some Numero releases, I even raved about one in a newspapers overhere. But sorry, what a grammy nomination got to do with the quality of a release is beyond me. Re-releasing indemand 45s (in this case even on lookalike labels) is something I can't accept, see my post before. Rant over.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Syl Johnson box is something completely different; it tells the story of an underrated artist (or a part of it). I ain't got a problem with unearthing unreleased stuff or making quality reissues, that document a label and artist or a certain sound with good linernotes by people in the know. I like and even own some Numero releases, I even raved about one in a newspapers overhere. But sorry, what a grammy nomination got to do with the quality of a release is beyond me. Re-releasing indemand 45s (in this case even on lookalike labels) is something I can't accept, see my post before. Rant over.

Hi Lars, I did read your post. I wrote about how the box will get more people into soul 45s and trying to keep people from being able to hear music (except at very limited audience northern clubs) really isn't helping your scene imo. It's killing it. On the other hand, having lots of younger people getting excited about soul sounds on your scene, and getting excited about them being on 45, leads to people starting collecting originals in the long run, establishing local soul nights, etc. The northern events that are supposed to be exclusively OVO will stay that way, if a DJ tries to pass off a numero record as an original it probably would be like a criminal act on the scene.

Also, most of the buyers of the box have nothing to do with the scene and few northern DJs will buy the expensive box. Most of the records in the box aren't northern either.

Social source share

As someone that's fairly new to the soul scene (5 years), I immediately understand the value of having the original pressing (and still do), but the reality is some of the records in this box set are so rare that unless I win the lottery, my chances of owning the original are slim to none. For me, this box set would be a great way to listen to each record and decide if I like it enough to obtain the original.

Social source share

also, the two plus two track was clearly "discovered" by the northern scene, sorry to leave that off

Bob..here's the header that Kris posted up as his leading line on the other thread

" 46 of the rarest soul/funk 45s to come from the most miniscule independent labels with facsimile label artwork"

Point being ,most or all of em ,are or have been championed by dj's either on the rare soul or funk scene ,who play on original vinyl only :yes:

How many of em are records that were found or turned up by the guys at Numero or were unknown before this compilation ??

i took the time to listen to all of the sound clips on the website ... some i like ,a lot i don't ,some i'd never heard before ,some i never wanna hear again....but it saved me $250 :wicked:

I might get the box though ,its original :thumbsup:

Social source share

Simple solution Nev.

Buy the set then sell all the singles separately on e bay for a handsome profit & keep the empty box to fill up with 'proper' records :D

Nice idea Martin ,but if i did that i'd be a hypocrite and to be fair i could'nt live with myself ,knowing i'd blatantly ripped off some poor soul of his hard earned wages :(

Now where my good lady wife hid my Tin Hat :hatsoff2:

P.s the box is $40 on its own https://www.numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=01471

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bob..here's the header that Kris posted up as his leading line on the other thread

" 46 of the rarest soul/funk 45s to come from the most miniscule independent labels with facsimile label artwork"

Point being ,most or all of em ,are or have been championed by dj's either on the rare soul or funk scene ,who play on original vinyl only :yes:

I totally don't understand your point at this point. Obviously the records had to be discovered as original vinyl because they weren't reissued until the originals were discovered. I play only original vinyl. But does that mean I have to be against the box? Also, a large percentage of the records weren't played on any scene.

Social source share

In a number years the people who have kept this boxset together with the rather cool book detailing all the artists and the 45s info, and the download that comes with it and the record box it all comes in should be sitting on a nice little collection no matter if re-issue cause it does look great and probably be quite a collectable item.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!