Disco

Barry

Stop watching BBC4, read some of the books talked about elsewhere, and at least get a semi educated point of reference. Or even better get into a relevant disco now, its still happening. Or stop talking rubbish.

Mr Fish, all great disco records.

You have absolutely no idea what a disco record is do you?

Social source share

But none of them are disco records - not in the way Crown Heights Affair - Dreaming A Dream is a disco record, and as tthe very knowledgeable Mr Dewhirst has already said, the age of 'proper' Disco ended in 1979

Crown Heights good Disco.

Brainstorm & Gentlemen and their Ladies ...great disco!

Edited by Mister Fish
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Jock, I'm probably 7 or 8 years older than you so I actually remember this stuff when it happened, I remember the horrors of disco music 1978-1980, I've got the Last Night A DJ book so f*ck off and stop being so patronising....except you can't, can you.

And calling Patrick Hernandez a disco record isn't being.

How come you can do as smart as you like but cant take it.

Maybe take some of your own advice, or as I say, shut up.

Social source share

And calling Patrick Hernandez a disco record isn't being.

How come you can do as smart as you like but cant take it.

Maybe take some of your own advice, or as I say, shut up.

Patrick Hernandez was a monster disco record, one of the biggest ever.

I never said it was a soul record, just a disco record.

Which is why you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

All disco records weren't soul records, many many of them are unlistenable junk.

Boney M, do you like them? Biggest disco group in the world.

Social source share

All disco records weren't soul records, many many of them are unlistenable junk.

er,jocko's right.. you wouldn't know a real disco record if it hit ya

Social source share

But none of them are disco records - not in the way Crown Heights Affair - Dreaming A Dream is a disco record, and as the very knowledgeable Mr Dewhirst has already said, the age of 'proper' Disco ended in 1979

F**k sake, another case of buy one get one free is it. Tweedle dee and Tweedle dumb.

And I challenged Mr Dewhirst opinion, as I often do, he decides whether he accepts it or debates it further, as he always does, but never does he come on saying I am right so why are you daring not to agree with me.

You have a valid point and one would find many agree with it. I disagree with it, as is my right. It would have been interesting to debate it you as I suspect you will be aware of Disco Joints etc.

However, Patrick Hernandez is not a valid point and I have a right to show it up for yet another churlish attention seeking attempt. Well actually I don't have a right at is not good for the site, I just find it hard to ignore Bullies.

And what might have been an interesting debate is now spoiled, I am off, will leave you to it.

Social source share

You really are pathetic, I am off, just shows knowing lots about music just doesn't mean you understand. I am leaving you to your bullying

Social source share

You really are pathetic, I am off, just shows knowing lots about music just doesn't mean you understand. I am leaving you to your bullying

Pot - kettle - black, you've upset more people on here in the last few months than I have in the last 10 years, and you come on here trying to belittle me and then run off when I reply to you, bizarre.

Social source share

Sorry mate it was getting interesting, but I am bowing out before it is spoiled totally, Maybe see you over at the disco forum!

Jock please come back and I won't look at this topic again or comment on it, I promise.

No point two of us not being on it.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Hi Mark, hope you're well mate.

Is it time for the Paul Philips tale of the King Tutt 12" ? :)

Cheers

Pete

There's a guy in France who actually owns both a 12" issue & a 12" white label demo too. Makes me wonder if the 7" ever got a demo release. Never seen or heard of one.

Only other 12" demo I have heard of is so badly warped it is unplayable. Think there is a Paul Philips connection to that too.

A Fun City 12" is my holy grail record but until then I'll make do with my 7" copy & also the full extended version that I got off a 'friend of a friend' that's actually longer than the 12" cut :)

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I like the Venise Lp ' Best Disco In The City' LP, there is track where the vocalist sounds like the singer on the great Black Stash 45' ' Mighty Love Man'.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Harry ...what was ottowans follow up ;)

Not relative to any sound of black american music - so off topic.

A very cheap, thoughtless and uneducated reply - Neville !!

And talking of so out of musically misplaced - . what was your mind set on posting Jason Steel - Where Do I Belong on JSB?

Reform yourself.

:)

Social source share

There's a guy in France who actually owns both a 12" issue & a 12" white label demo too. Makes me wonder if the 7" ever got a demo release. Never seen or heard of one.

Only other 12" demo I have heard of is so badly warped it is unplayable. Think there is a Paul Philips connection to that too.

A Fun City 12" is my holy grail record but until then I'll make do with my 7" copy & also the full extended version that I got off a 'friend of a friend' that's actually longer than the 12" cut :)

Slightly off topic for a mo'.

Difficult one, although I own the 12" and the 7" - for me the 12" is a bad example of extending the 7" mix - 7" mix wins hands down (maybe as that's where my Wigan memories lie) but you can screw more bollox out of the 12" press.

Desert Island scenario - 7" all day.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Slightly off topic for a mo'.

Difficult one, although I own the 12" and the 7" - for me the 12" is a bad example of extending the 7" mix - 7" mix wins hands down (maybe as that's where my Wigan memories lie) but you can screw more bollox out of the 12" press.

Desert Island scenario - 7" all day.

Well disco started 1973 ? 7s only i prefer 7s to barry :thumbup:

extended disco mixes 12s 1976

on the bollox side i could'nt tell you mate :hypo:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

One step at a time Tony :shhh::D

:lol: :lol: :yes: - And forward but not even current - "The Secret Life Of Us" CD Sunburst Band and Joey Negro sounds so yesterday. But then "Opus De Soul" intro only track may help the repressed.

Social source share

Not relative to any sound of black american music - so off topic.

A very cheap, thoughtless and uneducated reply - Neville !!

And talking of so out of musically misplaced - . what was your mind set on posting Jason Steel - Where Do I Belong on JSB?

Reform yourself.

:)

i think the follow up to D.I.S.C.O was called `help get me some help`.. hands up was a year later from the follow up lp..............................i`ll get me coat

Social source share

I just have to post it - carries everyDisco characteristic that a Disco record should and still manages to carry that 'high on hope message that lights a dancefloor up, even without a vocal - Love it as much today as I did when I was a kid: :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Disco died in 1979? Well this is one of the finest Disco records ever made.. 1982 Began Cekic.. Any one would think that the Saint and the Garage never happened. Some really do need to learn some history..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEs4iVV7LQ

nice one, there was an italo version of this or an italo record that heavily sampled this i cant think what it was ill be going mad for days....

Social source share

It would appear not mate.

I thought this would be an interesting discussion but alas.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"are we grown up enough to understand disco" FFS that's no different to the patronising statement "If you don't like [insert current trend] you're a dinosaur"

You like Disco, I don't - it is no reflection on anybody's maturity

Don't patronise me or I'll turn this into an OVO thread :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I the only person here who was a teenager/young adult in the US during the disco era? In other words, target demographic.

The point of disco that separates it from the type of dance records that preceded it was the mixing and continuous beat that was set up by the DJs. Mixing beats was not new.....square dancing had been doing this for years including noting the tempo on the records. 1974 was the "Hustle" in song and dance move, the Hustle was one of the cornerstone disco dances. 1974 into 1975 disco was still an underground subscene in most areas of the US. Around this time, what became probably the three biggest 'disco' artists in the US came out with their first recordings in the style - the Bee Gees, Donna Summer, and KC and the Sunshine Band. Disco dancing was a primarily a partner dance but could also involve line dancing. Most of my vague memories in going to 'discos' was seeing partners dancing to very specific dances. By 1977 disco had gone mainstream and it got a major boost with the "Saturday Night Fever" movie and soundtrack, these songs were heard constantly for what seemed to be a year into 1978. 1978 will be the year that rock went 'disco' with huge disco influenced hits by the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Blondie (although that may have been into 1979), and others. This of course meant that it had peaked and was heading into decline, which it did. By 1980 disco was pretty much over as a popular culture phenomenon. The word was a perjorative, a casualty of massive overindulgence. Hip clubs were playing 'Rappers Delight' and a new style started to take over. The scene fractured into subcultures of rap and breaks, (proto) house (keeping the continuous beat idea), 'new wave' danceable rock, etc.

To me, it's impossible to seperate disco music from the disco culture. The (relatively) fast rise and fall were due to many factors, IMO - the US was stagnant, hung over from the Vietnam war, Watergate, ecomonic turnmoil, and people were looking for something fresh and escapist. For many people - a little too escapist, drugs (cocaine, etc) playing a large part in the scene. Disco was also integrationist in culture - not only racially, but also in that a strong gay subculture was emerging for the first time at would be 'straight' clubs. The fall came about through overexposure and the inherent hedonistic element in the scene. Clubs that were featuring live bands decided to rid themselves of the headaches of dealing with musicians and went disco like crazy during the 1977 boom. There was a bit of malevolence in this, as I said clubs saw a way of avoiding dealing with rock musicians who wanted a lot of money and were often coked up and/or luded out themselves. So, they booted the bands and built the elevated backlit floors. There was also the matter of punk rock coming out during the same time. Of course, many of these clubs were closed or moving on to the next thing (urban cowboy with bucking bronco machine, anyone?) in a couple years. Far too many issues with underage patrons (mostly girls....the illegal admittance of teenage girls was common at the time, fake IDs were easy to get - I had one at 17 that said I was 23!), drugs, sex (often while severly drunk or stoned), etc....all the usual suspects.

As far as the music goes - that's up to us to enjoy or not as we wish in retrospect since there's no Studio 54 to get the first hand experience. There's good records and bad. Cash in stuff like "In the Bush" and "More More More" are garbage. Donna Summer and KC and the Sunshine Band sound pretty good in hindsight. A lot of older soul acts had to adapt. It would be interesting to see what they had to say about changing their production styles. I think there are clear differences between 'disco' records and soul records that are disco influenced, but I don't care to have an argument about it.

Anyways, thats my 10 minutes about disco in the US.

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I the only person here who was a teenager/young adult in the US during the disco era? In other words, target demographic.

The point of disco that separates it from the type of dance records that preceded it was the mixing and continuous beat that was set up by the DJs. Mixing beats was not new.....square dancing had been doing this for years including noting the tempo on the records. 1974 was the "Hustle" in song and dance move, the Hustle was one of the cornerstone disco dances. 1974 into 1975 disco was still an underground subscene in most areas of the US. Around this time, what became probably the three biggest 'disco' artists in the US came out with their first recordings in the style - the Bee Gees, Donna Summer, and KC and the Sunshine Band. Disco dancing was a primarily a partner dance but could also involve line dancing. Most of my vague memories in going to 'discos' was seeing partners dancing to very specific dances. By 1977 disco had gone mainstream and it got a major boost with the "Saturday Night Fever" movie and soundtrack, these songs were heard constantly for what seemed to be a year into 1978. 1978 will be the year that rock went 'disco' with huge disco influenced hits by the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Blondie (although that may have been into 1979), and others. This of course meant that it had peaked and was heading into decline, which it did. By 1980 disco was pretty much over as a popular culture phenomenon. The word was a perjorative, a casualty of massive overindulgence. Hip clubs were playing 'Rappers Delight' and a new style started to take over. The scene fractured into subcultures of rap and breaks, (proto) house (keeping the continuous beat idea), 'new wave' danceable rock, etc.

To me, it's impossible to seperate disco music from the disco culture. The (relatively) fast rise and fall were due to many factors, IMO - the US was stagnant, hung over from the Vietnam war, Watergate, ecomonic turnmoil, and people were looking for something fresh and escapist. For many people - a little too escapist, drugs (cocaine, etc) playing a large part in the scene. Disco was also integrationist in culture - not only racially, but also in that a strong gay subculture was emerging for the first time at would be 'straight' clubs. The fall came about through overexposure and the inherent hedonistic element in the scene. Clubs that were featuring live bands decided to rid themselves of the headaches of dealing with musicians and went disco like crazy during the 1977 boom. There was a bit of malevolence in this, as I said clubs saw a way of avoiding dealing with rock musicians who wanted a lot of money and were often coked up and/or luded out themselves. So, they booted the bands and built the elevated backlit floors. There was also the matter of punk rock coming out during the same time. Of course, many of these clubs were closed or moving on to the next thing (urban cowboy with bucking bronco machine, anyone?) in a couple years. Far too many issues with underage patrons (mostly girls....the illegal admittance of teenage girls was common at the time, fake IDs were easy to get - I had one at 17 that said I was 23!), drugs, sex (often while severly drunk or stoned), etc....all the usual suspects.

As far as the music goes - that's up to us to enjoy or not as we wish in retrospect since there's no Studio 54 to get the first hand experience. There's good records and bad. Cash in stuff like "In the Bush" and "More More More" are garbage. Donna Summer and KC and the Sunshine Band sound pretty good in hindsight. A lot of older soul acts had to adapt. It would be interesting to see what they had to say about changing their production styles. I think there are clear differences between 'disco' records and soul records that are disco influenced, but I don't care to have an argument about it.

Anyways, thats my 10 minutes about disco in the US.

You're only seeing it from your perspective. It's easlier inhindsight to see what really happened. It never died it went underground. There's plenty of websites. Disco-Disco for one. Dj History etc.. You missed so much. Tee Scott, The Saint, The Paradise Garage. Roller Disco, The Warehouse.

Social source share

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"are we grown up enough to understand disco" FFS that's no different to the patronising statement "If you don't like [insert current trend] you're a dinosaur"

You like Disco, I don't - it is no reflection on anybody's maturity

Don't patronise me or I'll turn this into an OVO thread :D

I started the question as I did Paul as I knew a portion of the replies would be the usual small-minded, piss-ripping nonsense - proving that I was not being patronising, just forward thinking. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

It still remains evident that this subject topic is viewed as intrusive on SS, which still highlights the fact that those who attended The Highland Room and The Winter Gardens owned a lesser snobby pathway into the black american sound.

Making them "more acceptable" within soul circles back then and still more musically advanced with the sound of our current released music today.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!