An Open Letter To Kev Roberts

Mattbolton

& this is the exact reason i wouldn't take my wife to these places, to hear cheese save yourself cash & just go to local soul nights lol, Good job people started to dance to the likes of the above 45s or we would still be listening to records played in 60s soul clubs (15 yrs after the war) :( , move on people theres 100s of 60s tunes out there that want playing te he

THIS IS WHY WE STARTED OUR PURE SOUL CLUB in Nuneaton, but it's poorly attended cos, lets face it, the vast majority do like the cheesey sets :(

But surely that's why 90% of the punters who go to the Blackpool event go there - to hear old classics - I've never been and have no interest in going but five or six go from here and they all love the chance to have a drink and a dance to their old favourite records. If they were to play loads of newies and funky sh*t then nobody would go to the event.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mrstosspot

Matt I've read your open letter re your Blackpool experience with great interest.... I loved my Northern Soul youth clubs etc many years ago, married to someone who shall we just say did not share my interest, I left mine on the back-burner until about 5 years ago. I then met my lovely hubby, a complete vinyl junkie!!!! Since then my mucial education has been enormous... so many wonderful tunes I just cant hear enough; Rob is actually quite jealous that I hear tunes unknown to me on a weekly basis and I'm sure will continue to do so. What a learning curve I'm on!

I wanted to go to Blackpool, Rob not at all keen, Prestatyn in March ....missed it so much last year.

All i can say is, we have left many such events over the past few years due to similar reasons, crikey there is a great big soulful world out there, embrace it folks and be more receptive to hearing something different.

Also, give some more respect to the DJs on the scene who are persevering and trying to give you an alternative...you may just enjoy & indeed prefer it :yes:

Edited by mrstosspot
Social source share

Barry, as far as I can see, it's All About The Soul. which is what I always presumed Northern Soul weekenders should be about. I'm usually on the right track so to speak. Just never expected anyone to be riding wooden horses.

Pete, I'd be naiive to be expecting rare newies or funky stuff in the main room. But on boots?! Seriously?

Social source share

Barry, as far as I can see, it's All About The Soul. which is what I always presumed Northern Soul weekenders should be about. I'm usually on the right track so to speak. Just never expected anyone to be riding wooden horses.

Pete, I'd be naiive to be expecting rare newies or funky stuff in the main room. But on boots?! Seriously?

Well as I say, I doubt if most people care so long as they sound the same Matt. Me, I'd just probably take the piss but I wouldn't get upset about it cos I'd maybe expect it?

Social source share

mmmmmm interested to know who the 2 djs were that played all the boots

whouldnt wanna book them in error

:D

Yep agree Keith. Cannot understand how this can be allowed to happen. As for the actual tunes. I dont mind myself. I constantly remember tunes from years ago that sound really good again. BUT I do like to hear new stuff that I have never heard before. Not really keen on RnB type. Come on Kev you should know better. No problem in any one turning a profit just do it the right way eh?

Social source share

You pays your money and takes your choice, then Kev puts it in his pocket :ohmy:

Kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This event is promoted as being "The UKs Leading Northern Soul and Motown Weekender".

I guess you'd expect to hear the same old Northern Soul Top 500 tunes in the main room at this venue - but I'd also expect to hear them on original vinyl at least. Historically this has always been an important part of the Northern Soul scene.

I take the point that probably very few people would be bothered but surely there have to be minimum standards?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

mmmmmm interested to know who the 2 djs were that played all the boots

whouldnt wanna book them in error

:D

According to the published schedule the last 2 DJ's on Sunday

were Kev & Richard. Wasnt there so dont know for sure they

may have changed it.

Kegsy

Social source share

may have changed it.

Kegsy

I said this before on another thread.

Why would Richard have to resort to playing boots?

As far as I know his collection is still intact unless somebody knows otherwise.

Social source share

Not saying he did, just saying who was on last, as I said

I wasnt there.

Kegsy

Appreciate that you didn't say it Kegsy but the inference is that it was Richard unless Matt is prepared to say that it wasn't.

I was there on Saturday and some of what Matt says is true about repetition, tired oldies etc but I go for the social side of things, mainly but seriously enjoyed the Circus (modern) stuff and was one of those that listened and danced to Soul Sam in the walkway, on a carpet, on Saturday night so all was not lost.

Social source share

may have changed it.

Kegsy

CORRECTION original poster didnt actually specify LAST 2 hours.

He said 2 and a half hours in the closing session.

Perhaps he should say who he is on about.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Guys, I never implicated Richard. As much as his choice of music that night was way off from my personal tastes, I respect him and his endavours in progressing soul far too much. Not least he'd just sold Sam the Sag Warfare I danced to the night before..... ;)

Jaco, the Circus WAS great and Woomble and Sam were superb.

Edited by mattbolton
Social source share

Guys, I never implicated Richard. As much as his choice of music that night was way off from my personal tastes, I respect him and his endavours in progressing soul far too much. Not least he'd just sold Sam the Sag Warfare I danced to the night before..... ;)

Jaco, the Circus WAS great and Wooble and Sam were superb.

There was a two and a half hour slot on Sunday - Rod Allsworth and Jimmy Scriv.

Make of that what you will.

Agree about Stevie Woomble.

Should know this but who is Agentsmith - must have listened to him on Saturday at some point but too many sherbets affecting the memory.

Social source share

Kev if you're reading this.

Put me down for a couple of hours next year, I have loads of original classics I can play.

Oh wait, some are UK issue Stateside,London etc so may not be OVO, oh shit some arnt the rarer

styrene west coast label varients, bollocks not too many demos either and we all know

demos were always released first and can only be the true original.

Second thoughts put me down for about ten minutes.

kegsy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Here's KR......Why an open letter to me? Goldsoul, Music and Media and the Tower share in the success of the event.

As for your comments, the event is operated as it always has.......through playing to a mass audience. The figures do not lie.

In direct answer to your questions(See below)...here ya go.......

However I must write to say how disappointed I am, not at the overall music policy but the fact that for two and a half hours, in the closing session of your weekender, two grown soul DJ's(You must mean Richard and I where we only have ORIGINAL Vinyl and in most cases the rarest issue of a particular title!) played close to 80% bootlegs in front of a crowd of many lifelong soul collectors. (Many lifelong Soul collectors...I doubt that)

The Saturday night main room was peppered with underwhelming repeats and flogged dead oldies from a genre of music that spans over ten years from over 50 states. (The DJ's respond to the public demand)

The fact that your events will never have the same quality of DJ's and music as the likes of Cleethorpes and Prestatyn is to be expected, but to endure a painful stream of bootlegs from the likes of Prince Phillip Mitchell, The Epitome Of Sound and The MVP's was nothing short of an insult. And in a world where punters pay hard earned money for original 45's, completely unacceptable. (Now funny you should talk about Prestatyn :D you left out Kings Hall Stoke though. Your other comments are woeful to say the least))

In stark contrast to this, the previous night saw one of the world's top rare soul spinners play perhaps the greatest hour of music I've heard in 15 years. In a corridor. On a carpet. (World's Top Spinners.....Thanks...but hardly. They are a bunch of in tune enthusiasts who did a marvellous job.)

To place this disparate quality of DJs on the same bill is an indignity to those who search long and hard to provide people with an original record. (Get real!)

Never would I begrudge having to pander to the tastes of a largely 'classic soul' appreciating audience but to do this on a series of £5 reissues really is embarrassing. (Not embarrissing at all. Most of our hired hands have excellent collections and those the don't are either working because of their heritage branding or they are consumate floor fillers)

One of the DJs in question defended his case with the opening line, 'Some people use CD's, now we don't do that'. Before telling me to 'get a life'. As an aside he also reacted angrily to another woman who questioned the provenance of his records. (Poor question. The scene at the 3,000 level is a complete open book-clearly you should not have been there)

Had I and my friends not made a 450 mile round trip perhaps we would have felt slightly less aggrieved, but I can assure you that we were far from the only ones who had travelled great distances and felt so short changed. (Better luck next time)

Your claim that Blackpool is perhaps the greatest weekender in the world is due in whole to the grandeur of the venue rather than your commitment to providing an interesting offering to a knowledgable audience. (To each his own)

Although we shall sadly never return, in future I think it only fair to other punters to ensure that the whole cast of main room DJs reflect in someway the level of skill, commitment and talent of those who crafted that beautiful ballroom. (Thanks for your comments although Richard and I disagree completely)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev if you're reading this.

Put me down for a couple of hours next year, I have loads of original classics I can play.

Oh wait, some are UK issue Stateside,London etc so may not be OVO, oh shit some arnt the rarer

styrene west coast label varients, bollocks not too many demos either and we all know

demos were always released first and can only be the true original.

Second thoughts put me down for about ten minutes.

kegsy

Hi Kegs.......This isn't one for you mate. Best stay out of the big events lol

Social source share

Only 0.01% really care, only 0.01% ever did but then it's that 0.01% that went out there, searched for it, brought it back & gave it to the people who don't give a shit what format it's on & only want to dance.

Very true Sian, I was stating a fact, I didn't say it was right or wrong, just that at present the vast majority of punters aren't interested and some never were and I wouldn't travel a 100 miles plus to your venue everytime it's on I was in the majority.

Take care, be safe & remember," I come from a land down under, where women roar and men thunder",

Spot. :shades:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can guarantee that both Kev and Richard played originals. I have sold records to Richard in his quest to get back some of his classic records, many on first issue labels which the origin poster may or may not recognise. Kev and Richard lay a lot on the line for the tower. Few know the Actual expense of promoting such an event and I really doubt they would risk the pedigree of of any of their dj's bringing the event down by playing boots. Exclusives, one offs etc I accept but come on, give the two main promoters in the country some integrity. Why would they put cameras above the decks If they knew boots see going to be played. Maybe mr Bolton needs a Manship guide

Steve

Ps. Well done Richard And Kev albeit I only saw the Saturday session

Social source share

Kev,

Thanks for responding.

From your responses it's clear where the profits lie.

If I cited yourself or Richard as playing anything other than originals then please demonstrate where this is so.

Irrespective of the music policy, be it Motown pop or Northern anthems, why should the fact that 3000 attended alter the fact that DJ's should play what has essentially formed the basis of the entire scene? This comment only cements that you're happy to take people for mugs as long as the money's rolling in.

And what prey tell is a heritage brand?! Is Weller DJing for you anytime soon? Any old pup with a box of boots can be a 'consummate floor filler' then can they? Why should ANYONE be DJing a weekender with anything less than an excellent collection or being able to offer something out of the ordinary?

And in response to your comments, you're right, the figures don't lie. You're willing to accept payment from 3000 people and still offer them a two hour set of bootlegs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev,

Thanks for responding.

From your responses it's clear where the profits lie.

If I cited yourself or Richard as playing anything other than originals then please demonstrate where this is so.

Irrespective of the music policy, be it Motown pop or Northern anthems, why should the fact that 3000 attended alter the fact that DJ's should play what has essentially formed the basis of the entire scene? This comment only cements that you're happy to take people for mugs as long as the money's rolling in.

And what prey tell is a heritage brand?! Is Weller DJing for you anytime soon? Any old pup with a box of boots can be a 'consummate floor filler' then can they? Why should ANYONE be DJing a weekender with anything less than an excellent collection or being able to offer something out of the ordinary?

And in response to your comments, you're right, the figures don't lie. You're willing to accept payment from 3000 people and still offer them a two hour set of bootlegs.

I really think you are out of order on this one

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm in agreement with Barry in asking why the open letter.

If you genuinely wanted to vent you grievance you could have emailed or PM’d Kev directly.

Or you could have just started a thread saying how disappointed you are with that weekender.

I just find the way you’ve handled this a bit strange.

So, why the open letter?

Edited by Gogse
Social source share

I'm in agreement with Barry in asking why the open letter.

If you genuinely wanted to vent you grievance you could have emailed or PM’d Kev directly.

Or you could have just started a thread saying how disappointed you are with that weekender.

I just find the way you’ve handled this a bit strange.

So, why the open letter?

Theres also an events lookback forum.

kegsy

Social source share

I know the answer to this is "read another topic" but I couldn't care less if they played bootlegs at Blackpool, they can play home made cassettes or mixes from mixcloud. I doubt there were very many there making a pilgrimage there to hear records they couldn't hear anywhere else.

Its turning into a boot v OVO thread (like everything else does) and personally I think that OVO is dying because people keep trying to ram the concept down peoples' throats when they actually don't care.

Those that do care know where to go to hear what they want on the format they want, so why complain about what is played to people who largely couldn't care what format is played to them?

That isn't a criticism of those that attend events like this, It isn't a criticism of people who don't care about format either. I think everyone is old enough to choose for themselves what they want to do.

If there were 3000 there and format is an issue, were there hundreds of complaints?

I've lost count of the amount of times those very comments have been made on here, and I've made them myself more than once too, it's the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion on the whole OVO question that means we're likely to see those same comments in different threads over and over (or should that be ovo and ovo) again.

:thumbsup:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I've lost count of the amount of times those very comments have been made on here, and I've made them myself more than once too, it's the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion on the whole OVO question that means we're likely to see those same comments in different threads over and over (or should that be ovo and ovo) again.

:thumbsup:

Pity that all nights promoted in events cant be MADE to specify OVO or not.

Then if someone doesnt get what they want, the can complain

in events lookback.

It would save the rest of us having to put up with the constant OVO navel gazing.

Kegsy

• Up vote 1
Social source share