Ebay Butlers On Rouser

Steve Foran

Twas indeed Shaun, was that the one owned by/ or had some connection to Van Mcoys sister/manager/wife/uncle bla bla bla :unsure: , can't for the life of me remember, it was opposite a Mcdonalds tho :lol:

That's right Arthur. Chris was Van McCoy's road manager for a number of years, apparently.

He gave us private press LP's of early VanMC stuff featuring Chris Bartley, Sandi Sheldon etc.

We had a good day there. Cashmeres Showstopper, a dozen Ruby Andrews, Vivian Reed etc. at 3 bucks apiece.

But left behind the grail, for you to pick up the week after.

:0)

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Pete S' timestamp='1352811389' post='1822246'

Oh sorry, didn't realise it was so common.

quote name='Pete S' timestamp='1352811389' post='1822246'

Oh sorry, didn't realise it was so common.

/quote

GETTING COMMON IN OZ

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Was the shop in DC called New Wax Unlimited? The seller of this latest copy told me he found it in the basement there in the 90s and has owned it ever since. What I don't get is if this is the 2nd release, what motivated them to make the sax break shorter? Surely if you wanted to improve sales prospects you'd make it longer wouldn't you - which would support the theory that Rouser came first? :g:

Cheers......Pete

Social source share

Was the shop in DC called New Wax Unlimited? The seller of this latest copy told me he found it in the basement there in the 90s and has owned it ever since. What I don't get is if this is the 2nd release, what motivated them to make the sax break shorter? Surely if you wanted to improve sales prospects you'd make it longer wouldn't you - which would support the theory that Rouser came first? :g:

Cheers......Pete

Yes Peter, it was New Wax Unlimited.

And have just learned that Chris, the owner, passed away around 10 years ago and the store closed.

So both the TP and the "latest copy" both came from the same store.

Distribution - The secret of success!

:0)

Sean

Social source share

Apologies if someone has mentioned this, but the El Corols on Rouser is an edited (at the beginning) version of a previously released song, as the Tiny label is confirmed to be first. So there is a precedent of Rouser editing a released recording. Doesn't prove anything though.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

what is in the deadwax of the rouser record? what is in the deadwax of the fairmount record?

the vinyl is totally different i know that much,,,i had tim browns copy in my hands when it was the only `known` copyi... goin away to work i can post the fairmount details later in the week if no one beats me to it, seeing as they as different versions the plate would be different i`d say..maybe john parker can give the deadwax details on his copy..or perhaps someone has an actual rouser copy as that might even be different to johns

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Cheers......Pete

but it is 100% edited and not extended :thumbsup:

Social source share

Apologies if someone has mentioned this, but the El Corols on Rouser is an edited (at the beginning) version of a previously released song, as the Tiny label is confirmed to be first. So there is a precedent of Rouser editing a released recording. Doesn't prove anything though.

but its one of the main reasons that lends to my theory,,,,,

Social source share

the vinyl is totally different i know that much,,,i had tim browns copy in my hands when it was the only `known` copyi... goin away to work i can post the fairmount details later in the week if no one beats me to it, seeing as they as different versions the plate would be different i`d say..maybe john parker can give the deadwax details on his copy..or perhaps someone has an actual rouser copy as that might even be different to johns

I assume the plates are different, that's why I'm asking for the deadwax info for clues. Thanks.

Social source share

f 1016 is a cover of wooley bully by lonnie young blood who had 3 releases on faiirmount.. 1 in 65 & 2 in 66.......i think because of my heart is late 1966 the label folded late 67

OK, found the date.

Because Of My Heart was copyrighted Dec 14 1966 - Words and Music by Frankie Beverly Copyright Cameo Parkway Pub Co Inc and Pecle Music.

No mention of Tommy Rouse, but who owned Pecle Music?

Possible that belonged to Tommy?

I'm in Washington DC this afternoon. I'll look him up, lol.

Might also have a dig around for the stock of New Wax Unlimited :0)

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='boba' timestamp='1354245548' post='1849241'

anyone know the rouser deadwax?

BOBA

THE NUMBERS ON ROUSER ARE F1017AA, WITH A PROFESSIONALLY STAMPED "R" OPPOSITE,

Social source share

thanks a lot. I'm convinced at this point that the rouser record was second. Why would it have an "f" in the deadwax with the fairmount catalog number unless it was a post-fairmount record. if it was a demo to be shopped around before being picked up by a big label, I don't think it would be designated a fairmount catalog number.

more evidence including the copyright being filed by cameo and the fact that fairmount had released an earlier record by the butlers makes me think that the rouser record is after. Also, as George pointed out, Fairmount released an edit of another previously released record (el corols). None of this evidence alone is proof but together I'm convinced. Thanks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thanks a lot. I'm convinced at this point that the rouser record was second. Why would it have an "f" in the deadwax with the fairmount catalog number unless it was a post-fairmount record. if it was a demo to be shopped around before being picked up by a big label, I don't think it would be designated a fairmount catalog number.

more evidence including the copyright being filed by cameo and the fact that fairmount had released an earlier record by the butlers makes me think that the rouser record is after. Also, as George pointed out, Fairmount released an edit of another previously released record (el corols). None of this evidence alone is proof but together I'm convinced. Thanks.

that should say "Rouser released an edit of another previously released record"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nothing constructive to add to this thread but when Jon Woodliffe was selling up I had bought some records off him, and then he whipped out a Professionals and a Frank Beverly on Rouser and advised me the two could be mine for £25 quid apiece. I pointed out he had just relieved me of a months wages and he kindly told me I could owe him.

The wife however took an opposing view, and I had to decline his generous offer. As it turned out I would have had the records longer than the wife so that's definitely another 'record regret' of mine!

Does anyone know who did have the FB from Jon?

Apologies for the trivia injection.

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

Nothing constructive to add to this thread but when Jon Woodliffe was selling up I had bought some records off him, and then he whipped out a Professionals and a Frank Beverly on Rouser and advised me the two could be mine for £25 quid apiece. I pointed out he had just relieved me of a months wages and he kindly told me I could owe him.

The wife however took an opposing view, and I had to decline his generous offer. As it turned out I would have had the records longer than the wife so that's definitely another 'record regret' of mine!

Does anyone know who did have the FB from Jon?

Apologies for the trivia injection.

What year was this because I was offered a Rouser copy at the Fleet for £20?????

Social source share

What year was this because I was offered a Rouser copy at the Fleet for £20?????

If memory serves it was very early 1980, JW was working at the Kev Roberts shop on Hurts Yard (the one that Rob Smith currently occupies) if that helps. He was selling the northern to pursue a jazz-funk dj career.

Social source share

If memory serves it was very early 1980, JW was working at the Kev Roberts shop on Hurts Yard (the one that Rob Smith currently occupies) if that helps. He was selling the northern to pursue a jazz-funk dj career.

I bought a few things off Jim. In fact got the Frankie Karl red stocker off him for peanuts but it wasn't Jim that was selling it back then. Tothis day I can't remember the guys name but being the pr*ck that I am, I already had it on Fairmount, didn't know it on Rouser and declined the offer. Such is life :facepalm:

Steve

Edited by soulman
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I bought a few things off Jim. In fact got the Frankie Karl red stocker off him for peanuts but it wasn't Jim that was selling it back then. Tothis day I can't remember the guys name but being the pr*ck that I am, I already had it on Fairmount, didn't know it on Rouser and declined the offer. Such is life :facepalm:

Steve

Erm, Rich saying JW meant Jonathan Woodliffe was working at Kev Roberts' shop not Jim Wensiora :lol:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Erm, Rich saying JW meant Jonathan Woodliffe was working at Kev Roberts' shop not Jim Wensiora :lol:

Soz,

Me having a busy moment between what I should be doing and what I shouldn't.... if you know what I mean. Been a bad day... one of those where simple people get confused, now what was i doing?

Steve

And for the record we need to distinguish between Jonathon Woodliffe (Frank Wilson / Jazz Funk / Kev Roberts etc) and Jim Wensiora (man of many records who I bought a few from, rare, not expensive at the time and made me a profit... not that its all about that as I wish I still had the records he sold me )

Edited by soulman
Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 24/11/2012 at 09:51, Dave Pinch said:

yes the best part of the record, the sax break is shamefully cut off in its prime on the rouser copy......no one is certain when it was made but what is certain its a 2nd issue probably done 1968 or later by the producer after cameo/parkway bit the dust,,,,,,,,the release was probably cancelled due to copyright

I know it's been ages but I wasn't a member in 2012

Found this and it might help (sorry if it's been covered since Dave) I assume it was after March 1970 ?

IMG_0232.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!