Ebay Butlers On Rouser

Steve Foran

I have a copy of the Fairmount issue of this and have never seen or heard the Rouser version so I was interested in this copy of THE BUTLERS with FRANK BEVERLY - BECAUSE OF MY HEART - ROUSER 1017 because it had attached to it, what I assume were, 2 complete sound clips. The sound clip for BECAUSE OF MY HEART differs from my Fairmount copy in that the sax break is much shorter. It does not sound as though it skips at that point and the edit of the sax break sounds clean. So the question is - Does the Rouser version have a shorter sax break or is it just a fault with the sound clip that was attached to the listing. If you get a chance to listen to the sound clip and you know the Fairmount version well you will immediately hear what I am talking about. Anyone shed some light on this or am I going off my head !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The sound clip for BECAUSE OF MY HEART differs from my Fairmount copy in that the sax break is much shorter. It does not sound as though it skips at that point and the edit of the sax break sounds clean. So the question is - Does the Rouser version have a shorter sax break or is it just a fault with the sound clip that was attached to the listing.

It is not a fault - the Rouser version is indeed shorter than the Fairmount release.

Social source share

yes the best part of the record, the sax break is shamefully cut off in its prime on the rouser copy......no one is certain when it was made but what is certain its a 2nd issue probably done 1968 or later by the producer after cameo/parkway bit the dust,,,,,,,,the release was probably cancelled due to copyright

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

yes the best part of the record, the sax break is shamefully cut off in its prime on the rouser copy......no one is certain when it was made but what is certain its a 2nd issue probably done 1968 or later by the producer after cameo/parkway bit the dust,,,,,,,,the release was probably cancelled due to copyright

I don't want to start an argument like there was before, but can someone re-explain the evidence proving it was a second issue? not trying to start anything, I just don't remember and want to know. Thanks a lot.

Social source share

it has the fairmount catalogue number bob....if it were just a local 1st issue it would have had its own number..remember fairmount was a decent label national distributed..also it was edited down when its clearly the same take.fairmount went out of business when cameo bit the dust 18 months after (f1017) was issued........i know normally it would be natural to think small local label picked up by bigger label for national distribution but i dont think thats the case with this 45..a bit like the lee williams stuff on lost nite..remember frank had other releases on fairmount also......i also believe that tommy rouse put it out and frank wasnt interested in it and wanted to move forward not backwards and had the release pulled

Social source share

Can someone confirm exactly the year of release for the Fairmount 45 ? Comparing it with other common Fairmount release numbers it couldn't possibly be later than 1966 , could it ? And judging by the "Heatwave" like soul sound of "Because of My Heart" , surely it wouldn't have made any commercial sense for Rouser to re-issue the record in "68 or even later when the prevailing popular soul sound was Sly and The Family Stone , James Brown, psychedelic Temptations and funky Impressions ? Unless perhaps like the Lost Nite label , Rouser was trying to cash in on the "oldies" reissues at the time in light of the Butlers' origins as a doo-wop group ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Funny one this

Seem to recall there has been debate on this before

My copy is a TEST PRESS...white label...THE BUTLERS Featuring Frank Beverley...it has the FAIRMOUT NUMBER stamped

It is however the ROUSER version with short Sax Break

Make any sense of that? :g:

wow... that would make it rouser test pressing /promo john i`ll have to have a look at it next time i see you..

Social source share

wow... that would make it rouser test pressing /promo john i`ll have to have a look at it next time i see you..

Dave...err,ok its a Sunday and my mind is just waking up,do I understand you to mean that the Fairmount issue was the first release then ? If that is so,then what would have been the reasoning to "re releasing",if that is the description,on a microscopic very ordinary looking local label ? Has anyone ever asked frank Beverly about it ? Sorry if it's been covered before,I'm just kinda followin' the thread with interest :wave:

Rob;

Social source share

Funny one this

My copy is a TEST PRESS...white label...THE BUTLERS Featuring Frank Beverley...it has the FAIRMOUT NUMBER stamped

Did it come from Arthur, John?

About 16 years ago we were in a shop in Rhode Island, Washington, DC, and in the basement was a small pile of records, in the corner, next to a record player, which I didn't get to look through, such was the vast quantity of vinyl down there.

About a fortnight later, Arthur and Sam went to the same place and Arthur told me about the Frank Beverly TP he'd found down there... In a pile of records, in the corner, next to the record player!

Not like me and my muckers to leave a stone unturned, but we did that day.... but haven't since!

:0)

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did it come from Arthur, John?

About 16 years ago we were in a shop in Rhode Island, Washington, DC, and in the basement was a small pile of records, in the corner, next to a record player, which I didn't get to look through, such was the vast quantity of vinyl down there.

About a fortnight later, Arthur and Sam went to the same place and Arthur told me about the Frank Beverly TP he'd found down there... In a pile of records, in the corner, next to the record player!

Not like me and my muckers to leave a stone unturned, but we did that day.... but haven't since!

:0)

Sean

Hi Sean

No...didnt come from Arthur...whether or not its the same item I dont know..trying to remember when I got it...maybe 10-12 years ago

John

Social source share

Hi Sean

No...didnt come from Arthur...whether or not its the same item I dont know..trying to remember when I got it...maybe 10-12 years ago

John

Thanks John.

Pretty sure I recall Arthur saying it was a TP of the Rouser edit.

Makes sense, being found in Washington.

I always thought the Rouser copy was first small label release, but there's a lot of merit in the idea of it coming after the Fairmount issue, since it uses the Fairmount numbering.

Tommy Rouse's name does not appear on the Fairmount issue. Wonder if he was supposed to share joint credit with FB, got pissed off because his name didn't appear so pressed up his own?

There are numerous possible scenarios I can think of.

Always been a curious one since young Adam first played the Rouser copy BITD.

Would certainly like to know the facts behind it.

Sean

Social source share

The one i found i traded with Sam who then let John Manship have it, this would be i guess 97/98, i hadn't at this time really got back into the northern thing (& was never a big fan of this track) but it was Rob Thomas who told me that the copy i had was probably a rousser test press, $3 well spent i suppose :yes:

Nice one Arthur.

About 15 years ago would be right.

Was a great record shop.

Wonder if its still there.

Sean

Social source share

Funny one this

Can I make an early nomination for this to be the post of the year?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!