First Record Played By The Dj

Guest Dani Herranz

Guest Dani Herranz

A nice little way to waste some time…

As punter or Dj, what you think is more appropriate when a DJ starts a spot???,

- a “first record from me” pretty different to the previous DJ, kind of “here we go!!!!”,

- to keep the tempo/style of the last record played by the previous Djs and run smoothly to different style??’

I know it depends very much (or it should, IMO), on how the dancefloor is doing…but I would be interested in some thoughts about it…

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

i used to always start with thanks and a brief scream of " lets go " or hello where ever" "one wonderfull moment" as you said almost a gauranteed floor filler. a great starter. some complained it was a waste of a tune so changed it to basically a similar sounding track such as judge baby im back, larry santos or bobby paris do it too, although it just has to be the acetate of the unreleased version called "im walkin".......................

GREAT THREAD. ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A NEW IDEA

Social source share

I always thank the previous DJ, as has been said. I also ask him what is he thinking of finishing his set on, so I can pick out a tune that isn't a massive change in style (going from soulful garage to a 6ts beat ballad doesn't lend itself to a smooth changeover lol). Also, I wouldn't start without anything too obscure, If the floor is dead, than I'd kick off with a classic to try to get some feet moving.

P.S. I'm not really a DJ though!

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

would start off with "hello its me again " then play the most expensive most obscure record that all the jocks that came before you would say "bloody hell where did he get that from " ,sod the punters , only joking of course ,a nice instrumental usually starts a spot well or something with a great intro (thinking ronnie mcneir ,frankie and the classicals etc etc )

Social source share

Shouldn't be a 'Biggest Knob' contest with the previous DJ as a matter of respect. Start with something good and popular, get the floor moving ( unless its a Rare Soul Night then play what the hell you like !! ) a couple in you lay your personality down for the masses to either Stone or buy you a Pint of Stones.

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

I tend to play first what I think is a 99% "safe" record for the type of event

My "most-often-first-record" in the last year has been Danny White, Miss fine Miss fine, it pleases most audiences, and what a start!!!!

Social source share

Depends whether the last DJ was crap or not.

Yes, I have a subtle difference in what I say considering this. It’s either — “Thanks ‘So and So’ for an excellent spot there, you got me for the next hour, I’m gonna kick off with etc, etc”.…OR....“Thanks to 'So and So' for the last hour, you’ve got me for the next and I’m gonna kick off with etc etc”

..…Still keeping that ‘D.J Etiquette’ in place :yes::D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - But don't tell anyone :shhh::D

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I would play the record that has been exciting me most in recent weeks, and if it got no reaction I would know the crowd were shit and I would just hand over to someone else.

:ohmy: I'm off to work out a 'reserve' set for tomorrow night.... :D

Social source share

Hey up Dani I trust the sun is shining in Valencia.

When you're DJing playing good music** is non negotiable that surely comes as standard.

But let's not forget you're also in the game of selling yourself.

As a DJ you want other promoters to book you and you want the crowd to like you.

Top tip plain and simple - Start big and end big.

You gotta let 'em know you're there. Right let's get this party started.

That sounds so straighforward and easy doesn't it - if only hahaha.....

derek x

** or what you think is good music (smile) and therein lies another often repeated debate that will never end.

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

I would play the record that has been exciting me most in recent weeks, and if it got no reaction I would know the crowd were shit and I would just hand over to someone else.

That's a bit of a defeatist attitude Jocko no wonder Scotland never qualify for the world cup! :lol:

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

especially if the dancefloor is already hyped up from the previous DJ, I love to cool off the floor with the minute intro of this number. get a bunch of awkward stares and chin-scratching...then that minute mark hits and BAM! watch all the punters run back to the floor! works every time :thumbsup:

Social source share

Would for me Len

Excellent! :thumbsup: I have a picture of 'The imaginary All-nighter' in my head of loads of people 'Cat Scratching' to it absolutely 'On Point'....All wearing bright white socks! :yes::D

Are there any other 'Yes' votes for 'Shaft' at 'The Imaginary All-nighter' or will it be just Mak 'Cat Scratching' like a goodun on his own? :D

All the best,

Social source share

especially if the dancefloor is already hyped up from the previous DJ, I love to cool off the floor with the minute intro of this number. get a bunch of awkward stares and chin-scratching...then that minute mark hits and BAM! watch all the punters run back to the floor! works every time :thumbsup:

I use the EXACT same tactic - - - builds that dramatic tension!

...i like this one... Leona Dunn "baby don't play around"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Since this is the record that is exciting me most at moment, I may be a little longer,

Or then again, maybe not. Was that the sound of Len's chin hitting the floor........

sorry mate, i've collected olskool for 24 years, since it was new skool in fact but thts shite, the opening piano riff is great, buts its a direct lift from jj and company- dont deal with us, now that is a proper tune!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!