STOKE ALL NIGHTER-KINGS HALL

• Replies 82
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

the last Oldies event the place was buzzing.

surely its bound to be buzzing. its hard to imagine the noise, what with all the fly's after all the dinosaur shite on the dancefloor :-))

Scotty

Guest in town Mikey

I think the BIG one happened last weekend on Oxford Street.

I really enjoyed the Kings Hall when I went, despite the music being awful. I was with good mates and met a few long lost pals, but the music was rubbish. There were much better tunes in the record boxes, the building was pretty, and did I mention the music?? It was poor.

No disrespect intended, but how can the 100 CLUB with about 300 in be 'the big one'?

You visited the last Stoke in July....did you see the size of the crowd. A case of(what's the name of the album?) 50,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong. And in any case why go if you can't stand the music?

Just checking recent threads, isn't there a real bias towards some of the more organised and well put together events? Sorry if I am putting a couple of noses out but let's be REALISTIC.

No one with a passion for NORTHERN SOUL wants to give up valuable weekends to be at poorly attended gigs. DO THEY?

And in any case that record bar at Stoke is fantastic. So you can chew the fat all night and be oblivious to both rooms!

Personally I can't see any bigger or better event than the Kings Hall, Stoke and Butch agrees too!

Guest in town Mikey

We all have our own opinions. Of course there will be a bias against over publicised, events trying to turn our underground scene into a marketable commodity, where business men make lots of money and the artists get screwed. We prefer to leave that to the pop charts and the labels associated with that.

If you gauge something by numbers then a track like say The Ascots - Another Day is a resounding failure, yet Joe Dolce - Shut uppa ya face is a sucess because it made number one in the pop charts. Thats fine. Lots of people would agree with that sentiment. You just wont find too many on the Northern Soul scene.

You say:

'No one with a passion for NORTHERN SOUL wants to give up valuable weekends to be at poorly attended gigs. DO THEY?'

I think you would find a lot of people here who would much rather be in a room with 100 like minded music fans, than a room full of chancers, hangers on and people who have absolutely no passion for the scene.

But that is just My opinion. Yours is different. C'est la vie

Guest in town Mikey

I did also say I enjoyed Stoke.

The stuff about the music was a liottle tongue in cheek. Ginger played a great spot, but it was a few years ago now. Maybe three. I havent been tempted back yet.

I think you would find a lot of people here who would much rather be in a room with 100 like minded music fans, than a room full of chancers, hangers on and people who have absolutely no passion for the scene.

Well said..the next "Big One" CIS New Century Hall 25th September

As one of those who attended Allnighters through the Wilderness Years (IE late 80s/Early 90s), I quite like the more intimate Allnighter....

Reminds me of the time when people used to look at you and nod in recognition rather then look at you as though you've got three heads.

I find a lot of the bigger events are attended by 'divs', tourists and nostalgia freaks.... and it's the smaller, more forward thinking (musically) venues that are the Torch bearers for the scene.

Many of those who attend the big oldies events only turn out the three or four times a year that they are on.... leaving the commited promoters / punters to fill the calendar with quality events.

Remember, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.....

WOOF!

Forget about big big big how about good good good. Talking of which a swift reminder that Southern Soul Movement will be on near Portsmouth on 25 Sep with guests Mick H and Ady Lupton The only semi all-niter thats billed as a soul nite.

Forget about big big big how about good good good......

once read a bit of research done by Sheffield Hallam University's Centre for Social Inclusion whilst doing my post-grad and the hypothesised that blokes concerned with size and numbers were insecure chaps with tiny penises.

just a thought

cheers

Scotty

Guest in town Mikey

think these replies show (and on ur other thread) that its best not hyping up an event your (possibly!) involved with, be it thats its gonna b the biggest and best or about how many tickets you've sold apparently; it feels a little patronising and insulting; wont work on this site.

Danny D

Exactly Danny. That is why I replied in the first instatnce. THE BIG ONE. What a joke.

Remember the biggest allnighter since Wigan? The Best allnighter since Wigan?

Empty apart from the first night. Despite all the hype and the fact it was actually run by two great guys.

And dont get me started on the 'Brand leader' in Northern Soul weekends ;-)

Not sure whether I have understood this right, so I thought before wading in I would ask:

Are you saying that anyone who attends this event as a paying punter is either a chancer, hanger on or has no passion for the music?

Not sure whether I have understood this right, so I thought before wading in I would ask:

Are you saying that anyone who attends this event as a paying punter is either a chancer, hanger on or has no passion for the music?

The quote states 'a lot' not 'anyone'.

Shane

Guest in town Mikey

Absolutely not.

I stated I enjoyed it at the Kings Hall.

I was hinting at the fact that some of the people that attend certain events are not necessarily Northern Soul people. And I and others on here would rather be in a room with fewer people who all appreciated the music etc.

It was in response to the fact that one of the reasons why this event is 'THE BIG ONE' is becuase of the attendance figures, and the 100 club is somehow less good because it only gets 300 people.

once read a bit of research done by Sheffield Hallam University's Centre for Social Inclusion whilst doing my post-grad and the hypothesised that blokes concerned with size and numbers were insecure chaps with tiny penises.

But Bexter is a girl .... does that make her the null hypothesis then ? wink.gif

Guest in town Mikey

Well I like Kings Hall, I like the atmosphere, I like seeing all my mates, I like most of the music thats played, record bare is excellant, except Wigan 30th Anniversary do (but thats another matter)

Just wish it could be in Bromley cause I really get knackered driving home after.. ;-)

Me too.

I also liked the rocket, where I was an ever present. Me Janine and the tumbleweed. Although TW was lost amongst the crowd of beer swilling, p*ss taking, chancers on the first night.

;-)

Guest Johnny One Trout

A can't see the point of travelling many miles to a venue to hear sounds that I could play at home on C.D. 

.............. Maybe some people just like crowds.

Sorry John I just don't think that statement hangs true nowadays. Don't get me wrong i like me obscurities as much as the next man but in todays market there are a handful of venues at the very most that you could say you travel to because you simply can't hear the sounds anywhere else. The social side of the scene is perhaps more relevant today than it ever has been imo

We often travel to venues because mates are going and we know it will be a good night socially in fact we probably do that more than travel to events that are going to astound us with the new discoveries, mainly because lets face it there ain't that many ;o)))

John

Johnny O-T is right, it's more a social scene on the whole than a pioneering progressive one, and by that I mean there are few exclusively sixties newies venues these days (and let's not forget that Stafford was hated by many on the scene in the old days, funny how time changes things) I think most of the comments here have been aimed at 'corporate Northern Soul' (trademark) rather than the majority of paying punters. As for the 100 Club, it's the longest running allnighter ever, has played and broken many new sounds and styles and continues to do so and this is why it's rightly rated as a major venue etc etc. Now Johnny, how the hell did you change your look so fast and gain all that hair?!!!???

Guest Johnny One Trout

Johnny O-T is right, it's more a social scene on the whole than a pioneering progressive one, and by that I mean there are few exclusively sixties newies venues these days (and let's not forget that Stafford was hated by many on the scene in the old days, funny how time changes things) I think most of the comments here have been aimed at 'corporate Northern Soul' (trademark) rather than the majority of paying punters. As for the 100 Club, it's the longest running allnighter ever, has played and broken many new sounds and styles and continues to do so and this is why it's rightly rated as a major venue etc etc. Now Johnny, how the hell did you change your look so fast and gain all that hair?!!!???

I have natural fertilizer implants Roy so grow a few extra inches here and there is no problem at all and can be done in hours. There are of course downsides to this in that i often spout b**ls**t and can be quite fragrant on a hot summers day but what healthy looking shiney hair i have.......................

JoT

A can't see the point of travelling many miles to a venue to hear sounds that I could play at home on C.D. 

.............. Maybe some people just like crowds.

I like to be with my mates (& crowds) and have a good head swing (dance) CD's are for in the car, going and coming home from do's not for Saturday nights, But each to there own.

I am no way a music snob, and hopefully I will never become one. Because when I read bits on this site, it seems it ruins what you once enjoyed (even loved).

Everyone should enjoy what they like and enjoy it to the full... Thats what I say..

:-) :-) :-)

Each to his own, I'm no way putting people down for going to Big crowded venues, however I have a low tolerance to the Northern Soul top 500 nowadays . That stuff I was listening to in 1979, I've grown up a bit since then.

It just seems wherever you go at the moment it's same old S***t different venue.

This month we'll see the annual round of Wigan Anniversary nights..... Why ?.

How come we don't have Stafford nights more often, the music was far superior than what was played at Wigan.. I think having a progressive attitude to the music seems to be frowned upon, and the scene is slowly sinking into a swamp of revivalist venues.

Each to his own, I'm no way putting people down for going to Big crowded venues, however I have a low tolerance to the Northern Soul top 500 nowadays .  That stuff I was listening to in 1979, I've grown up a bit since then.

It just seems wherever you go at the moment it's same old S***t different venue.

This month we'll see the annual round of Wigan Anniversary nights..... Why ?.

How come we don't have Stafford nights more often, the music was far superior than what was played at Wigan..  I think having a progressive attitude to the music seems to be frowned upon, and the scene is slowly sinking into a swamp of revivalist venues.

Stafford Soul Nites are Back

Every 2nd Friday of the month

TOP VENUE....TOP DJS BOOKED

I am no way a music snob, and hopefully I will never become one. Because when I read bits on this site, it seems it ruins what you once enjoyed (even loved).

Everyone should enjoy what they like and enjoy it to the full... Thats what I say..

:-) :-) :-)

In response to Mischief - being a music snob is what 'Northern Soul' is all about IMO!! ;-)

If it wasn't for the elitists trying to find those new sounds over the years we'd all still be listening to Motown and Atlantic stuff - thats if there was a scene left at all.

When I first started attending nighters in the late 80's it was during the height of the 60's Mafia era and many of the DJ's/punters were musical snobs to the point of arrogance. Personally I think this is great - it's part of what makes the scene so special.

Re. the 'BIG ONE' question, I'd much rather go to a poorly attended venue and hear tunes I've never/hardly ever heard played rather than hearing the same old oldies week in week out at a full venue. I like a rocking atmosphere as much as the next ferrett but it's the music and the 'hairs standing up on the back of the neck' feeling that counts at the end of the day.

Playing self appointed devils advocate (really I should just shut up) cant help feeling there is some conflict, with complaints and some shouts for oldies nights etc.

Putting aside whose running them for a minute (can we) does every night have to be so serious? What's wrong with the occasional oldies night, usually a good party atmosphere at most of em. If you don't like them don't complain just don't go. If there's too many of these nights punters will dictate, take a night off and just have some fun.

If the "clients" at such events only come out the few times a year to this sorta thing again where is the harm it wont affect the serious regular do's or soulies.

Some also forget that to the new recruit everything's a newie not old hat, I know that some young guns are going to the NCS oldies night as they just prefer the Wigan sound.

If you prefer the mafia/closed shop/serious approach; who decided to let you in, who are any of us to stop bringing this music to the kids of today.

How many card carrying Northern Soulies exactly should there be globally, how many times is a record allowed to be played before it's to be dispensed with to dinosaur land.

You will always get the serious outlets no matter what size this scene is. Tho can see why many kids prefer "token" nights rather than the serious events with its elitist/snobby/strict rules in a largely middle aged environment.... soul brothers don't make me laugh.

Some are paranoid that allowing in more people will kill the scene yet then complain about poor turnouts, I can assure you very few promoters want a low attendance.

Most want variety in music so no need to wholly depend on elitism for different sounds to those from say 1976, people not necessarily elitist but who posess any of the following; real passion/obsession/connections/money/gift have brought great tunes to our attention. If its completely elitist there will be no one else allowed to join the gang anway.

If its all about the music, exactly what is it about it; that there are some great rare records and we don't want to share with outsiders and tough if it means many artists will never have a chance to finally get the deserved fifteen minutes of glory and wider fame as we are only allowed to hear the tune x amount of times when the 1 or few original copies are playing to our closed shop.... the dj who found the record is much more important than the artist... is this maybe paradoxically what defines Northern Soul.

As said at outset aim is to provoke some thoughts on our attitudes and where this scene is heading. Waiting to be shot down (gulp)

Danny D

In response to Mischief - being a music snob is what 'Northern Soul' is all about IMO!! ;-)

Sorry I'm into Northern because I love the music not because i'm a snob.. Deep down I don't care what label something is on or who it's by black or white. It's the sound that I love.

:-) (have to go getting all emotional about Northern) ;-)

All this talk of oldies etc...what does that mean now..Are the sounds of Stafford still 60s Newies or oldies...Live and let live..If i don't like a place then i don't go. I meet people at events who just sit there moaning,stay away and let the others get on with having a good time..There are so many nights to choose from now that you don't have to be anywhere you don't like...At the end of the day some people on this scene will never ever be happy,if a dj plays 20 records in a set they would tell you about the one they did not like rather than the 19 they did,we all know a mr glum, just leave him to moan and get on with having a good time,thats what we are there for...

The "scene" has never been healthier in my opinion, i can remember in the early 80's gioing to partly empty venues, and also to events that were rammed, i love to hear stuff that i do not know, and you only have to look at a nationwide gig guide and the choice of events is staggering. I personally am inviting myself down to ferrets dining room, because i can assure you that "rodent" has some storming vinyl.

Brett

Well I like Kings Hall, I like the atmosphere, I like seeing all my mates, I like most of the music thats played, record bare is excellant, except Wigan 30th Anniversary do (but thats another matter)

Just wish it could be in Bromley cause I really get knackered driving home after.. ;-)

With you on that one!

I personally am inviting myself down to ferrets dining room, because i can assure you that "rodent" has some storming vinyl.

Brett

Cheers Brett! Can say pretty much the same about you fella. Anybody with a copy of Decieved by Ruby gets my instant respect!!!

Must warn you though, my dining room has a strict door policy and I have to make do with an old wooden chopping board as a dancefloor - bring your own talc!!

See you soon mate!

Guest Dr Pickles

Just thought I would drop my 2 pennies in.

Having been to Stoke several times I have to say that it is my favourite venue.

It combines most of the elements I look for in a good northern do.

Distance - I love to travel to nights. The music on in the car, banter between all the occupants as to what the night will be like, previous nights and general catching up and excitement of the night to come. For Stoke there is the age old tradition of fighting over who will pay for the toll road. After a 2 hour drive you enter Stoke and get on the "merry go round" that lets you have glimpses of the hall as you go round and round on the road that leads you into the car park.

Pre-Do Drink - Not usually for me, but essential at Stoke. In the very nasty bar round the corner from the car park, friends and nighter bags start to gather, avoid the toilets and try to find the nice northern lady that always has the tickets for sale.

Que - Great cue atmosphere here. Music thumping in the background, view of the car park so you can see who is arriving. Excitement starts to build further, mainly fuelled by the two drinks knecked in the nasty bar and the fact that you had avoided the toilets in there (not good after a 2 hour drive).

Doormen - Very friendly, very efficient.

Once past the doormen you almost throw your ticket at the lady behind the table because at Stoke, as soon as you enter the foyer you can see into the hall. So it is bag in hand and the run for the table.

Table - Very important for me. Near enough to the stage to get the atmosphere but not so close to the speakers that everyone screams at each other when chatting. Not so close to the toilet door that everyone will want to walk past but not too far from the bar. Bags placed on chairs to save places for people yet to arrive, drinks sorted and a nose through the flyers.

DJ List - Watch him, watch him..... There he goes, Mischief is off, straight into the darkness to take the dj list down in the first 5 seconds. The only people to read them at this point was a cleaner and the man with the blue tack.

First Dance - Because the balcony runs above the tables, stepping on to the dance floor is like coming out of the darkness and into the light. You get your first tentative moves in, then it all starts to come together.

Your dancing, say hello to people, dancing, drinking, dancing, back for talc, dancing and then moment arrives. 3 hours have flown by in the blink of an eye and you are ready for your first:

Shirt change - To those of you who do not do this all I can say is why? There is something great about waiting for a not so great record, grabbing your bag and into the vast Victorian toilets. Off with the sweat soaked offending article that you thought looked so good at the start of the night, quick wash in one of the 100 sinks and on with a fluffy, dry and neatly folded top. Pure bliss. Better than any drug, you ready to start all over again.

Balcony Moment - This is something I like to do around 3.00am. Me, my drink and a packet of Silk Cut head upstairs to the balcony. sit down and just take it all in for five mins. Watch your friends having a good time and watch the good dancers do their thing.

Not Enough Talc - Back on the floor and the moment you dread arrives. The time when your head tells your leg to do a certain move and your leg tells your head it can screw itself.

Try a spin and you start doing the dodgy side step at the end. Lots more talc you say to yourself and this works for another hour, then you know you have had enough.

Good byes all round, kisses, hugs and promises of calls in the week to arrange more of the same.

Drive Home - Bags thrown in the boot, people saying what a great time they had and isn't it light at this time of the morning. Straight out of Stoke and on to the Motorway. It's all gone quiet now. People trying to sleep. Or head against the window staring at the cones (I blame the red bull for this).The complete opposite to the way up. No stompers on the CD, now it is mid tempo 70's.

Finally home. Into bed to stare at the ceiling for a few hours with that annoying ringing in your ears thinking about night you have just had.

So those are my experiences of Stoke.

I'm sorry to those old boys that will say it's not as good as Wigan and I missed out. All I can say is I've met some blinding people and made some great friends.

Although the music is old, I'm not living in the past. This is happening now and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Watch him, watch him..... There he goes, Mischief is off, straight into the darkness to take the dj list down in the first 5 seconds. The only people to read them at this point was a cleaner and the man with the blue tack.

You grass.

I done it before the do opened at the 30th anniversary asked if I could have a wee, then got the dj list off the wall 15 mins before opening time...

Am so proud now the world knows I nick things...

Mental note "I must remember to take my reel to reel tape recorder with me next time I go out.."

Guest Dr Pickles

Mr M

I'm offended that you don't remember me.

Still don't worry I'm sure the only one in a Welsh village :)

4088.jpg

Here's to the next Stoke.

Come On !!!!!!!!

All the best

Doc