Uniform Record Prices?

Simsy

Guest Netspeaky

Greed doesn't have anything to do with it. I have things in my box priced what I think it's worth, quite often it's dearer than the next guy, sometimes it's cheaper. Quite often the difference is due to region difference in the demand of certain records, it's popular in North Wales, but not in the Midlands, Indemand in Manchester but does nothing in London. If you're a buyer shop around you don't have to pay the price on offer, you can always barter with the seller. The dealer that has high prices has two choices, he either holds out until someone buys the record or he drops price to move it. I sell records to fund my purchases so I want the highest price I can get, sometimes it's a bargin for someone, other times they are paying over the top, it's down to the buyer at the end of the day.

IMPORTANT POINT A RECORD IS ONLY WORTH WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. :Pwhistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There will never be 'uniform' prices - there's probably never BEEN uniform prices. There are too many variables to take into account.

The fundamental problem is this - we as members of the Rare Soul scene are perfectly happy to pay ridiculous amounts of money for records. The more inflated the better. You could argue that people see it as a badge of honour. What does £50 get you? or even £100? in most cases it would seem not that much. People outside of the scene must think we're all eccentric millionaires!

Do dealers reflect demand? do they create (sometimes artificial) demand? How rare are the so-called rare records? Are dealers of the opinion that there's a finite amount of time left for the scene, and they wish to maximise profits while they still can? Who knows.

There's a real lack of perspective, I'm afraid. People mostly chase after the same in-demand records, and as a result prices become inflated and volatile. As a result there can be no quantifiable measure of market value.

well put mate, whistling.gif like the "badge of honour "

Social source share

There will never be 'uniform' prices - there's probably never BEEN uniform prices. There are too many variables to take into account.

The fundamental problem is this - we as members of the Rare Soul scene are perfectly happy to pay ridiculous amounts of money for records. The more inflated the better. You could argue that people see it as a badge of honour. What does £50 get you? or even £100? in most cases it would seem not that much. People outside of the scene must think we're all eccentric millionaires!

Do dealers reflect demand? do they create (sometimes artificial) demand? How rare are the so-called rare records? Are dealers of the opinion that there's a finite amount of time left for the scene, and they wish to maximise profits while they still can? Who knows.

There's a real lack of perspective, I'm afraid. People mostly chase after the same in-demand records, and as a result prices become inflated and volatile. As a result there can be no quantifiable measure of market value.

All true. whistling.gif Though plenty of times I have seen lots of records similarly priced in different dealers boxes. That's why the often common discrepancies are difficult to fathom.

you can always barter with the seller.

IMPORTANT POINT A RECORD IS ONLY WORTH WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. :(:P

True about bartering. Only you'd better be clued up and make sure you handle said bartering in the right manner, or you'll be sent away with a flee in your ear and tagged as a chancer.

Saw a Della Reese - Clock we no hands - Rob Messer list £65. About right I thought, but just before payday, couldn't act. Then I was out next weekend and someone's got it in their box - £80. Offered £70 thinking if it's not accepted, I ain't buying it. Fortunately he accepted.

Closing comment spot on. :P

Social source share

Lonnie Lester - Aint That a Shame - Nu Tone probably still cheap at the moment and a much better dancer, worth looking out for.

Martyn

Great tune - got an Ex copy for sale at £35 if anyone wanys one whistling.gif

Prices will always vary - same as if you go buy a car or a house or a loaf of bread.

Shop around and you'll probably get a better deal. :(

Haggle and you'll usually get it cheaper. :P

There is no bible to quote from, even the price guides ar all over the place...we all make it up as we go along. :(

Supply and demand will always push prices up, but who decides a relatively unknown record should be worth £50 or £100????? :P

Experience and knowledge will always help...but I bet every dealer at some point has picked up a tune he doesn't know and thinks I'll stick £50 on that, same as they might stick £15 on it and get told it's recently sold for £150.

Social source share

Supply and demand yes. But Nippy Hawkins - £200 - Goldmine list, mid ninetees. It's this kind of, or should I say level of, out of left field way OTT wierdness that has me stumped.

Pete-S puts it at £30. I paid £35 - Graham Thomas 1991. Thought about £50 was fair.

Social source share

Supply and demand yes. But Nippy Hawkins - £200 - Goldmine list, mid ninetees. It's this kind of, or should I say level of, out of left field way OTT wierdness that has me stumped.

Pete-S puts it at £30. I paid £35 - Graham Thomas 1991. Thought about £50 was fair.

Like I say, no matter how much some of us think we know, we don't know it all, so over and underpricing will always happen.

The R&B side of things has definately upset the applecart on pricing, cus a lot of dealers don't know how to price it, cus it's an unknown market to most of them.

I've had some blinding R&B bargains through this, but also seen relatively cheap and common tunes listed for stupidly high prices.....would love to give examples but don't want to upset anyone by naming names whistling.gif

Social source share

So a dealer hears a £30 record getting a few spins here and there and takes it upon himself to list it for £75.

Who would be the first to do this? Do they phone each other and decide a price hike it's what's needed for a particular sound? Or do they stick their neck out and solely be the first? What balls! whistling.gif

Nobody ever says "you dumb fcuk, what were you thinking of"! And the dealer skulks away with his tail between his legs. When did that ever happen?

ps notice we can get away with 'he' and 'him'. As there are no uk female dealers. Shame. Could bring 'eyelid fluttering' into the bartering process. :P

Social source share

Nobody ever says "you dumb fcuk, what were you thinking of"! And the dealer skulks away with his tail between his legs. When did that ever happen?

Have said it to dealers meself....both for over and underpricing - but again, won't name names.... :P

Plus the price can always be dropped if they get it wrong and it doesn't sell...whereas it's too late if they sell it too cheap :(

On the other side of the coin, how about this then - you see a record on a list you've been after for ages, in mint condition for half the value you think its worth.

Do you...

1) Phone the dealer up and politely tell him of his mistake, and then offer double the price he listed it for :P

2) Buy the bugger as quick as you can then tell all and sundry you've had a proper bargain whistling.gif

3) Leave it where it is cus theres no such thing as a bargain :(

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Saw a Della Reese - Clock we no hands - Rob Messer list £65. About right I thought, but just before payday, couldn't act. Then I was out next weekend and someone's got it in their box - £80. Offered £70 thinking if it's not accepted, I ain't buying it. Fortunately he accepted.

Closing comment spot on. whistling.gif

Hey Simsy,if your playing this at t`100club,i aint going :P ,well under protest,i`ll go :P ,possibly the worst record ever,so thats my 100club un-request sorted,if i find one you can have it fer` a tenner,fukcin`crap to say the least :( ,anyway why the Simsy twins?,you two dont even look-a-like...... :(
Social source share

Hey Simsy,if your playing this at t`100club,i aint going :( ,well under protest,i`ll go :( ,possibly the worst record ever,so thats my 100club un-request sorted,if i find one you can have it fer` a tenner,fukcin`crap to say the least :P ,anyway why the Simsy twins?,you two dont even look-a-like...... :D

You love it :( You'll be there whistling.gif Big spin for 'me mate Dave'. I'll dedicate it for yer. :D

Simsy Twins - Sims Twins. Tis an AC whitty play on words. :D I know what you mean though, I'm a good looking basstad and e's a Mickey Rooney lookalike :P Not really Smudge, only joking. :(

Social source share

You love it :P You'll be there :( Big spin for 'me mate Dave'. I'll dedicate it for yer. :P

Simsy Twins - Sims Twins. Tis an AC whitty play on words. :( I know what you mean though, I'm a good looking basstad and e's a Mickey Rooney lookalike :( Not really Smudge, only joking. :D

Only ever heard one record worser,and thats "busy signal",and i pay`d £25 quid for the none-pleasure :D you dont wanna` buy it do you,wouldnt recomend it though..... whistling.gif

Social source share

You love it :D You'll be there whistling.gif Big spin for 'me mate Dave'. I'll dedicate it for yer. :P

Simsy Twins - Sims Twins. Tis an AC whitty play on words. :P I know what you mean though, I'm a good looking basstad and e's a Mickey Rooney lookalike :( Not really Smudge, only joking. :(

Mr Bridger to you! :angry:

:(

Social source share

Only ever heard one record worser,and thats "busy signal",and i pay`d £25 quid for the none-pleasure :P you dont wanna` buy it do you,wouldnt recomend it though..... whistling.gif

:P

Social source share

Only ever heard one record worser,and thats "busy signal",and i pay`d £25 quid for the none-pleasure :P you dont wanna` buy it do you,wouldnt recomend it though..... whistling.gif

:P Got a nice Eddie Newton on LORRAINE though. I'll swap it yer for that? :(

Social source share

Several years ago I got a mint Jackie Wilson Because Of You demo but I'd never heard of it so I thought it was common like most of his other records and listed it at £15. After a couple of minutes, Simon Bridger from Brighton rang me and told me what it was really worth. Now he could have snapped it up for £15 and I wouldn't have known anything about it til all the calls came in - that was a great thing to do. Though I've kept him sweet in 70's music footage ever since.

I also listed the rare Nate Evans record on Twinight for £20 a couple of weeks later and someone told me about that as well.

If you look after people and don't treat them like shit, you'll get people do the same for you.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Several years ago I got a mint Jackie Wilson Because Of You demo but I'd never heard of it so I thought it was common like most of his other records and listed it at £15.

That was very nice of Simon but it is common and its only worth £15. :):D:shhh::)

A record that should not be played out again for at least ten years.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

One problem with prices is demand, it pushes price up, the ones who can afford buy, the problem then arises that every dealer looks at top price paid, record doesn't shift, so some instead of having it sat in the box drop price, hence you get varying price difference, with the ones prepared to drop back to original price and not demand price of last month. :) Another problem is with some items, price goes through the roof, then copies come out of the woodwork and price slowly goes down, yet people who bought at the higher end of market aren't suddenly going to sell at a loss are they?. :shhh: For the ones who are moaning about having paid over the top, let me know when you want to sell it at a loss, I might be interested. :)

Social source share

The greedy one is the person asking a lot more than the record is worth, it's pretty simple mate.

i agree Pete, some prices are extortionate now!! However, must admit i have paid over the odds for 45's i've been after for some time, purely because i NEVER see them listed. Chances are they might surface again, but when.......when i'm 65? I guess in some respects i am impulsive, and go by that old classic"don't put off 'till tomorrow, what you can have in your collection today"..........life is short, and all that..........But i would NEVER, EVER pay £4000 for "The Lady In Green", or any other 45........maybe if i was loaded, maybe not...ho,hum.........like to think i'd have more sense............... :):shhh:

Carl

Social source share

Just bought a record 2 days ago, heard it off a tape made enquiries, missed a couple, left a couple (!) & finally got one at a reasonable price. here follows the various prices seen in the course of a week.

£20 sold

35 sold

40 sold....to me :)

50 sold

75 still sitting there

80 was on here & still may be?

Find it hard to understand how a relatively cheap record can have such a price difference

& while I'm on here gotta say even if Pete S. sells cheaply to make a quick profit what's wrong with that, we the buyers gain, Pete makes some money & everyones happy.......... Oh except for the overpriced dealers who have the same records sitting on their shelves at 2 or 3 times the price :shhh:

Edited by Dave G
Social source share

Several years ago I got a mint Jackie Wilson Because Of You demo but I'd never heard of it so I thought it was common like most of his other records and listed it at £15. After a couple of minutes, Simon Bridger from Brighton rang me and told me what it was really worth.

Out of interest what was it worth? How many year's ago?

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

One dealer has a certain record in his box for £100. Three steps away another dealer has an identical copy for £70. Why?

I know condition comes into it and the best price he can get away with. But what's an acceptable limit - £20? £30 difference?. I bought a Roy Hamilton - You shook me up a while back for £140. I thought that was a good price. Went to a local Herts soul night couple weeks later, dealer there had same record - £200!

I know there a loads of examples of this even records that are over a hundred pounds in difference. But these boys are not fools, they know the real worth of their records. There shouldn't really be more than a twenty to thirty pound difference from dealers for the same record, should there?

the best way to tackle this situation is carry a pen with you and change £100 into £1.00 by adding a decimal point! what a bargain

Social source share

At that time it was about £60 I think - 1999

Thanks. Wonder what it's worth now?

the best way to tackle this situation is carry a pen with you and change £100 into £1.00 by adding a decimal point! what a bargain

Hey great post Sid! :unsure:

Did you used to write for Viz tops tips section? "Dead moths make excellent hang gliders for woodlice"! :D

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
I had a record on here last week (on Thelma) for £75 and in the same sales section someone else had it for £125...that's £50 in the space of one column :thumbsup:
you havent got a mint timi yuro have you pete??
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!