Early Skinheads & Soul / Rare Soul 68-72

viphitman

Guest manusf3a

At the recent Bletsoe reunion there was a printed booklet given out produced by one of our soul sourcers ,on the second from back page there are a number of illustrations of styles of the time on one of them is a lad wearing what I know as a pair of rupert check pants, I havent got a scanner but anyone who has and has one of these booklets  I reckon it would be good to upload those pictures on to this thread.Theres also a picture of shoes  one of which is the basketweaves that were about sueade head days and after.                                  

Ps. just remembered so will add this,as well as ruperts around Corby and nearby towns there was another form of  big checked  trews, they were darkish green and we knew them as Gordon Highlanders.Some one mentioned  Jaytex ,also around about the same time  another bright multicolour sta press parallel type of pants were made if I recall right ,produced by Jaytex,the same people who made the shirts.the pattern was much smaller and tighter than the  ruperts pattern. moving  on ,recently I wore a cashmere hooded coat in the style of a duffle to an all nighter where a couple of people christened it a "Paddington ", as it resembled one he wears in colour and style,light brown almost camel.Perhaps the ruperts trews and the paddinton coat would have made a highly stylish combo, topped off with an oversize sooty magic wand in the form of a walking stick,all worn with an unshaven ,"grizzly",look.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

At the recent Bletsoe reunion there was a printed booklet given out produced by one of our soul sourcers ,on the second from back page there are a number of illustrations of styles of the time on one of them is a lad wearing what I know as a pair of rupert check pants, I havent got a scanner but anyone who has and has one of these booklets I reckon it would be good to upload those pictures on to this thread.Theres also a picture of shoes one of which is the basketweaves that were about sueade head days and after.

they came from a book originally but i can not remember the title
Social source share

they came from a book originally but i can not remember the title

I haven't seen the Bletsoe booklet but it sounds like the illustrations from Skinhead by Nick Knight, which is mostly pics of late 70 early 80s skins/boneheads but within it is a narrative and illustrations of the evolution of skin style from around 68/69 through to about 73ish, I think, by an original skincalled Jim Ferguson? The book originally came out in the 80s, I've got a copy somewhere so if nobody beats me to it or there isn't a link to it I'll try scanning it in tomorrow if I get some time.

Social source share

Taken in 1969, I was only 17 with my whole life in front of me. These photos had been stored in a garage for over 40 years and only came to light 3 weeks ago. We were well on our way to soul music by then.  :)

post-4408-0-38741000-1405874939_thumb.jppost-4408-0-84646800-1405874940_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-43708800-1405874937_thumb.jppost-4408-0-07086600-1405874942_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Fascinating how this look cropped up around the world:

https://www.ivy-style.com/the-miyuki-zoku-japans-first-ivy-rebels.html

miyukizoku-nogamitoru.jpg

Theres some photos I am sure Ive seen on here of some black youth from compton late sixties wearing what was to in my opinion a smoothie seaude head look.button down shirts,loafers,lace up leather shoes,straight leg sta press type trews wore slightly short,v neck sweaters etc.I guess that look among lads was almost universal,why shouldnt it be it was smart as owt(for my weight and body shape of the time  for me that was)

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest son of stan
manusf3a, on 20 Jul 2014 - 6:02 PM, said:

Theres some photos I am sure Ive seen on here of some black youth from compton late sixties wearing what was to in my opinion a smoothie seaude head look.button down shirts,loafers,lace up leather shoes,straight leg sta press type trews wore slightly short,v neck sweaters etc.I guess that look among lads was almost universal,why shouldnt it be it was smart as owt(for my weight and body shape of the time  for me that was)

I think the pic you mention is already on this thread. Got it somewhere but unable to post it...

It all derives from the so-called Ivy Look, the way upscale white Americans dressed at Ivy League universities. There's an intriguing piece in a book I have ('The Look' by Paul Gorman) by Kevin Rowland (with photographic evidence) where he talks about the emergence of this style in 60s London, via shops like Squire and the Ivy Shop. Apparently, the very first 'skinheads' were known as 'peanuts'. The idea was to be subversive by dressing like conservative Americans....But it all got lost and watered down when the tabloids got involved. From what I have read the haircut was known as an 'astronaut' cut There's also another book called 'The Fashion of Football' with a fascinating chapter based on an interview with Rowland...

Social source share

I think the pic you mention is already on this thread. Got it somewhere but unable to post it...

It all derives from the so-called Ivy Look, the way upscale white Americans dressed at Ivy League universities. There's an intriguing piece in a book I have ('The Look' by Paul Gorman) by Kevin Rowland (with photographic evidence) where he talks about the emergence of this style in 60s London, via shops like Squire and the Ivy Shop. Apparently, the very first 'skinheads' were known as 'peanuts'. The idea was to be subversive by dressing like conservative Americans....But it all got lost and watered down when the tabloids got involved. From what I have read the haircut was known as an 'astronaut' cut There's also another book called 'The Fashion of Football' with a fascinating chapter based on an interview with Rowland...

Used to buy all my clothes at the Ivy shop in Richmond.  :thumbsup:  From my 16th onwards, ie 1968 up until about 1971.  :)

post-4408-0-90109700-1405925879_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It all derives from the so-called Ivy Look, the way upscale white Americans dressed at Ivy League universities. There's an intriguing piece in a book I have ('The Look' by Paul Gorman) by Kevin Rowland (with photographic evidence) where he talks about the emergence of this style in 60s London, via shops like Squire and the Ivy Shop. Apparently, the very first 'skinheads' were known as 'peanuts'. The idea was to be subversive by dressing like conservative Americans....But it all got lost and watered down when the tabloids got involved. From what I have read the haircut was known as an 'astronaut' cut There's also another book called 'The Fashion of Football' with a fascinating chapter based on an interview with Rowland...

the buzz cut
Social source share

Absolutely fantastic photos Chris

BTW nice little story to this. All the photos except one were taken by that girl, her name was Sue. I hadn't seen for about 3 years and

in 1974  I met her at the Cromwell club in London, she was living with Ian Britton the Chelsea footballer, he and Ian Hutchinson were

chucking pints down their throats.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Worth bearing in mind that A Clockwork Orange was never banned by any official body in the UK.

Director Stanley Kubrick himself withdrew the film after the initial spate of copycat violence, but the film had been on release for over a year before he did this.

I shared a drink or three with Kubrick a few weeks before he died and he said he wished he hadn't made the film

Social source share

• 4 years later...

As has been said earlier in this thread (a good while ago), many of the original mod / soul boys from the mid 60's never really got the skinhead / suedehead scene. Guess we'd grown up a bit, were much more into steady relationships with lasses & less prone to adopt the more wild clothing choices of some skins. We didn't object to the ska / reggae music they liked as that had always been played in mod clubs back in the day. But they seemed to take over soul nights (@ places like the Attic in Donny) and change them for the worse (from our point of view).

I also never got the way that many skins / suedes were quite racist yet were happy to spend their nights dancing to 100% black music   ... WEIRD.

Never objected to selling some of my old reggae / ska 45's to any of them though (back then).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!