Early Skinheads & Soul / Rare Soul 68-72

viphitman

Like to see them as thats my home town and there always has been quite a strong contingment of soulies,night people from back in the very early days onwards from there as well as a lot of other Northants towns .Pity about them being on fb,I closed my account with them(after a lot of being messed around and difficulty)some time back when I realised the amount of access people could have through me being unfamiliar with security settings.Theres some photos in the gallery on here of that time therabouts incuding some taken at Bletsoe of Corby and other folk that look really good but would still like to see the ones you mention.atbmanus.

I dont know if she is on here Manus...what i will do is recommend this thread on FB ..and see if she will post them up if that is okay...Delxxx

Social source share

When I went for my first skin cut in late 68 I had quite a good head of blonde hair went to the barbers and showed him a picture I had cut out of the paper he was hesitant at first to do it but he did .Got home from the croppers my mum and grandma where sitting in the living room when I walked in my Gran started screaming out Brenda Brenda oh my god look what's happened to our Ian's hair they where both nearly in tears he he he I got a right bollicking. A lot of the lads around 1969 / 70had skin cuts around Leigh /Wigan and where all into Ska..Blue Beat Regg and what's now termed club soul ie Go Go Girl Lee Dorsey Ride your Pony, Shake , land of a thousand dance

Girls are out to get you, The beat, Someday we,re gonna love again, wade in the water,Mr bang bang man ect ect and a lot of the

stateside and Tamla Motown sounds a few of the lads like myself collected soul records which we use to take around the local clubs and get ( threaten ) the DJ to play them Breakout, Agent double o soul Back Street you,ve got to pay the price ect ect the one that always eluded me was Chubby Checker At the Discotheque Uk Cp it was massive I spent a few years trying to get a copy .

We got most of our clothes Ben Shermans two tone trousers from Tony Sampsons shop in Leigh and Levis &bakers pants ( the white ones ) from the army navy store along with our Doc Martins ox blood boots. The Harringtons we got from Oasis market in Manchester where later on we got our Crombies from , another thing about the skins around this area we all had made to measure suits in sky blue or two tone colours from Alexandra tailors .It was around 72 that are hair started to get longer ie suede heads and buy 73 my hair had got pretty long like Kegsy,s ha could,nt pay for a haircut all mi money was going on rare soul records..

Regards Ian Cunliffe

I see loads of baldies at Northern do,s are Skins makin a comeback lol

I recall having same reaction from my mother Ian , when i shaved mine off , my hair that is , I am still writing about our time in Leigh and the bus station days , Way inn and such like , Michael crusham sent me pics few years ago , some sadly are a bit small . good memories hey Ian .

Social source share

Crombies were the most popular coats at the time but navy blue 'Chelsea Macks' were common too. Didn't see many cream coloured macks, by far the better colour. Sheep skins became the must have coat around 1970 for all skinheads, smoothies, townies or what ever name you went by. I couldn't afford a sheepskin when i was 15 bur problem solved, i just wore my Mom's...the fact if fastened the opposite way didn't bother me! A mate of mine had one from his sisters catalog at one and six a week. Had it three weeks until one night in Birmingham, a huge West Indian bloke asked him if he could try it on. Guess the rest! For the next couple of years it was standard practice to ask "how much left to pay off Mart?" Ade

Social source share

Crombies were the most popular coats at the time but navy blue 'Chelsea Macks' were common too. Didn't see many cream coloured macks, by far the better colour. Sheep skins became the must have coat around 1970 for all skinheads, smoothies, townies or what ever name you went by. I couldn't afford a sheepskin when i was 15 bur problem solved, i just wore my Mom's...the fact if fastened the opposite way didn't bother me! A mate of mine had one from his sisters catalog at one and six a week. Had it three weeks until one night in Birmingham, a huge West Indian bloke asked him if he could try it on. Guess the rest! For the next couple of years it was standard practice to ask "how much left to pay off Mart?" Ade

In 1970 Sunderland were playing Birmingham at Roker and quite a few Newcastle skin/suedes went to it - I think the idea was to join up with the Birmingham fans ( how daft we were back then) but the Birmingham fans weren't interested but almost everyone of the Birmingham fans were wearing navy blue Chelsea Macs ( all of them in fact). I can still picture talking to the Birmingham guys on the road outside Roker Park - they were all eating fish and chips lol

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

One of the directors at work who has to be mid 40's reminds me so much of those times , he dresses just the same , button down check shirts and V-necks , at first he reminded me of a fat Simon Bridger :D He never carries a briefcase , always a duffle type bag... I sometimes wonder if he has bricks in his bag :g:

He's a known stretford ender raised in Salford...Its funny how some people just have that presence to make you feel fear with just a look.

Streel combs come to mind

Edited by Anais nin
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

navy blue Chelsea Macs

What was the style of these?

I had a coat I really liked at one time. It was Crombie style with handkerchief pocket - but made of a navy blue gaberdine material. Meant you could wear it comfortably through the summer.

But maybe that was something totally different??!!

MB

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

No they didn't have a pocket - here's a link to the modern version which is fairly close to the old style.

ttp://swipelife.com/2009/04/24/j-crew-mackintosh%C2%AE-coat/

Cheers

Manus

Thanks - that makes sense!

I never saw another saw another coat like this one I had. Sort of hybrid between a Crombie and a mac. Might sound a bit naff but I really liked it. :)

MB

Social source share

Holy poo!!

Thought they had stopped making these?

I had a pair when I first started to go to the nighters, and I wore them til' they were no good to man nor beast.

Levi Skinners, 36" bottoms

I just did a google search and found that you can still actually buy them - RESULT!!!

https://www.fashstyle...tal-e-3667.html

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Holy poo!!

Thought they had stopped making these?

I had a pair when I first started to go to the nighters, and I wore them til' they were no good to man nor beast.

Levi Skinners, 36" bottoms

I just did a google search and found that you can still actually buy them - RESULT!!!

https://www.fashstyle...tal-e-3667.html

I've never even heard of these!

We had 'Skinners' but they were these parrallel jeans with about 24" bottoms, in denim or in white, white ones caught on big time after A Clockwork Orange.

Social source share

No they didn't have a pocket - here's a link to the modern version which is fairly close to the old style.

https://swipelife.com...ckintosh®-coat/

Cheers

Manus

Those are it Manus! Usually worn with checked shirt with buttoned down collar, white stayprest trousers and a pair of Royals (plain or brogues) on yer feet. Oh yes, red socks too. Or as an alternative to the stayprest, a pair of 'prince of Wales' checked trousers. Can't remember wearing Fred Perry polo shirts until years later but I think us oiks were behind the times ... Ade

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

in the south they were a unruly rabble mainly into ska and reggae dont recall them being into any soul stuff except the most played popular radio stuff .more interested in fighting and punchups and mayhem . like the rockers v the rockers .

skinhead gangs v other skinhead gangs but not as nutty and dangerous as todays gangs who shoot each other dead

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

i do rember the older lads wearing bib and brace with doc martin boots for football matches. Ruperts are not the same as pow check ? Much louder as i reamber

Yeh Ruperts had a much bigger check named I believe after the trousers worn by one "Rupert the bear".

Social source share

Ruperts round here were Prince Of Wales check, not baggy.

Pete, round our way, what were referred to as "Prince of Wales check" were usually in black and white, "Prince of Wales" being the pattern.

"Ruperts" were similar style checked trousers but a lot more colourful. The check used in them may well have been Prince of Wales.

If I recall correctly, the style of Ruperts wasn't baggy, as per the picture posted above, but similar cut to Levi sta-pressed.

Edited by Stubbsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete, round our way, what were referred to as "Prince of Wales check" were usually in black and white, "Prince of Wales" being the pattern.

"Ruperts" were similar style checked trousers but a lot more colourful. The check used in them may well have been Prince of Wales.

If I recall correctly, the style of Ruperts wasn't baggy, as per the picture posted above, but similar cut to Levi sta-pressed.

I don't remember Ruperts then, not brightly coloured ones anyway, just these...

Relcostaprestprinceofwalesphoto1500.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, they are definately prince of wales  check, available with the red overcheck, or blue  or without ,  Ruperts as i remember them were more of a greenish check unlike the actual bears bright yellow with big black check ( dont think i remember anyone wearing those apart from the bear himself , but you never know )                                                                                                                                                                                                       Does anyone remember in  Stolen from Ivor  or Justins  in Manchester about 71,72 ish, as a sales gimmick they named different pants colours after different areas of the city  and there was a  massive skinhead cartoon the size of the whole window with the guys wearing   Wythenshawe whites , Gorton greens,   Salford stones ,Burnage browns  etc...?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had a pair of ruperts mainly a grey check with red stripes running through.Rather fetching with an orange Fred Perry. :lol:  

edit: similar to Pete's picture above.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Back in 68/69, my mate Paul & I shared a house.

For a while, we had a mate from Barnsley way stay with us.

On a Saturday, all of us would go out wearing similar clothes (maybe a Levi jacket and a pair of Mohair trousers - or maybe a suit jacket & Lee Riders) and we would all have an obligatory overnight bag ( BEA or whatever).

The difference was, me and Paul would go to the Wheel, and our bags contained a change of clothes and a few 45s (plus a "pick me up" for the trip).  The kid from Barnsley - his bag contained a pair of kicking boots, and his destination was always a pre-arranged set-to down in the midlands - usually Notts or Leicester.

Me & Paul - mods.

The Barnsley guy - a proto Skin (and don't even mention his girlfriend.............) :huh:  :wicked:  :yes:  :)

PS. And if you don't know what a "Mecca Fork" is, then you ain't met an original Skin :rofl:

Edited by soash
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Not like the above photo more slimmer cut. Came in green and a blue check more like tartan kinnda style

The pants in that photo are more like oxford bags that were well after rupert's round our way anyway,around the same time of the first baggy cords(non high waist).Ruperts were much bigger checked,the sort of check you would expect to see obese american tourists wearing round London.I liked rupert's though at the time however unlike Prince of wales check they have not stood the test of time in my opinion as I wouldn't wear anything with that sort of check these days  because as I have put on muchus heavyus poundus over the years if I did wear Rupert checked pants and went to London I would be mistaken for an American tourist and get my wallet stolen.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

The pants in that photo are more like oxford bags that were well after rupert's round our way anyway,around the same time of the first baggy cords(non high waist).Ruperts were much bigger checked,the sort of check you would expect to see obese american tourists wearing round London.I liked rupert's though at the time however unlike Prince of wales check they have not stood the test of time in my opinion as I wouldn't wear anything with that sort of check these days  because as I have put on muchus heavyus poundus over the years if I did wear Rupert checked pants and went to London I would be mistaken for an American tourist and get my wallet stolen.

Same round our way Manus.....Ruperts were big check parallels, worn "half mast".....prince of wales usually seen in Harrington jackets (although my mate Mick Malone had a prince of wales Cromby). and the trousers treated as different to Ruperts.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Enjoying this topic. There's a skinhead book showing the various styles all black n white drawing's. I seem to think someone on here uses part of it for advatar. Any pow is what prince Charlie wear's lol. Rupert's were made by jaytex i think

Social source share

Enjoying this topic. There's a skinhead book showing the various styles all black n white drawing's. I seem to think someone on here uses part of it for advatar. Any pow is what prince Charlie wear's lol. Rupert's were made by jaytex i think

Jaytex - now you're talking :thumbsup:

Loved their short sleeved checked shirts - classics!

Shame you can't get 'em anymore

Social source share

I've never even heard of these!

We had 'Skinners' but they were these parrallel jeans with about 24" bottoms, in denim or in white, white ones caught on big time after A Clockwork Orange.

am i correct that skinners were a label. Don't remember levis till the early 8ts Brutus and wranglers in the midlands
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Skinners were about 22", then there were the scouse ones...Flemings, which I think were made to measure by a shop in Liverpool. My school banned skinhead haircuts, but only if you had a shaved in parting, a skinhead haircut wasn't the bald look you see today, maybe a centimetre long.  I was only eleven at this time and wore Monkey Boots, cherry red with yellow laces, because Doc. Martens didn't come in small sizes. School uniform was a barathea blazer, with silver buttons, white button-down collar Ben Sherman shirt, school tie worn back to front, skinny.  Black Levi Sta-prest trousers, red socks and black Loafer shoes.

Social source share

Skinners were about 22", then there were the scouse ones...Flemings, which I think were made to measure by a shop in Liverpool. My school banned skinhead haircuts, but only if you had a shaved in parting, a skinhead haircut wasn't the bald look you see today, maybe a centimetre long. I was only eleven at this time and wore Monkey Boots, cherry red with yellow laces, because Doc. Martens didn't come in small sizes. School uniform was a barathea blazer, with silver buttons, white button-down collar Ben Sherman shirt, school tie worn back to front, skinny. Black Levi Sta-prest trousers, red socks and black Loafer shoes.

ahh yes the barathea blazer :)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Jaytex - now you're talking :thumbsup:

Loved their short sleeved checked shirts - classics!

Shame you can't get 'em anymore

Found a green checked brutus shirt size 14 at me mums a few years back,was mine around 1969 ,70.Remember getting it from George Alans in Corby,if I am correst it cost a quid and five shillings,levis were around  two pound fifteen and 6 at that time.Also remember after crombies gettin a budgie jacket that the lads started wearing but they didnt last all that long till it went to bombers,black of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! both on the back and down the neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Two good mates of mine Keith Harpur and Snotty Caine both sadly r.i.p bless em robbed a camping warehouse early seventies and got away with a cracking sheepskin each that was the envy of many at that time also around that time with Keith and one other George Mckimmie again r.i.p sadly,I  robbed another clothes shop called George Allens in Kettering( that we were later nicked for) and got away with leather bombers.For some strange reason at two in the morning we wrapped a load of newspaper round a paving slab to supposedly deaden the sound as we all took hold and threw it threw the front window (dur),after a huge crash and a massive hole made larger by using a scaffold pole we stormed into the window display and started stripping the dummy off the one leather jacket in the window(initial reason to smash and grab),then decided very quickly to run through into the shop were George nearly knocked himself out by running into  the plate glass that seperated  the window display from inside of shop ,before working out  we had to slide it open  then we took our pick the goodies  and departed laughing with our prizes.Suddenly realising we were in the middle of Kettering town centre  the best policy according to Keith was not to run off but to hide which we did by crossing the road and climbing up on to the roof of a shop and watching trying not laugh as the police turned up down below us.After a couple of hours when all was quiet we got down and made our way to Corby.Although later nicked for this they never got the jacket back  and its good to remember the fun times of youth,I was still at school(when I went ?)must have been about seventy or seventy one at latest,George and Keith were both at work but hey wages were low for them and my pocket money wouldnt pay for the clothes I wanted then so thats why we robbed,I am sure others round the land did the same.All three of us and Snotty from the previous posting all soon began doing chemists which again was great fun sad that those folk have passed on thats why I was really happy to see Ivan (who has gained  the name"Bomber",since back then)Miles at a nighter recently he was one of  the crew of chemist robbers robbers back then from that circle and happily for me to see hes still out and about souling it up big style.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

am i correct that skinners were a label. Don't remember levis till the early 8ts Brutus and wranglers in the midlands

There was a label "Skinners", my mate Kimbo on here has still got one of original labels. around about sevenety six approx wrangler brought out a 24 inch parallel style jean,I bought a pair in Norwich, then shortly after back into original levis jeans both with denim shirts(which had been around at nighters for a few years by then,used to wear them with made to measure trews with pleats  previously.)

A thought,remember through the seventies an "Oldies revival.reunion nighter would mean the sounds from at most ten more usually five or six years before?

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!