Anybody Into Grant Green?

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i wonder you may find it as a big surprise to hear from a rick astley fan that he likes GRANT GREEN?!

i've got about 50cd's from grant green from60to70's the jazz stuff and some of his funk stuff!

nothing would surprise me coming from a Rick Astley fan. :P

Grant Green, yes very nice. Not a patch on Bananarama though for soul power.

Seriously though, Rick Astley came round our house the other night to ask if he could borrow a spanner to undo the trap so he could sort out his blocked sink in his one bedroom flat. We told him to piss off and buy his own. :P

Martin

Social source share

what's the range of rick astley's vocal chords?

about 20ft, if you have one of those weighted throwing knives.

not being funny, but this isn't really a rick astley site, nico. though you're more than welcome to add anything about soul music :P

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

what's the range of rick astley's vocal chords?

about 20ft, if you have one of those weighted throwing knives.

not being funny, but this isn't really a rick astley site, nico. though you're more than welcome to add anything about soul music :P

Which one was Rick Astley? The one in the bad suit who sang quite flat or the one in the bad suit who sang very flat?

Social source share

Which one was Rick Astley? The one in the bad suit who sang quite flat or the one in the bad suit who sang very flat?

Stuart sort your colour out mate, yellow labels are fine but yellow lettering ? ...

Social source share

no, no, that was the bloke out of level 42 stuart.

rick astley was the bloke in the flat suit who sang very bad. easy mistake to make.

Social source share

no, no, that was the bloke out of level 42 stuart.

rick astley was the bloke in the flat suit who sang very bad. easy mistake to make.

wow wow wow guys what is this all about???

i talked about grant green the most soulfull jazz guitarist ever and you guys throu with mud about rickastley??

i was not talking about him i asked if there is anybody into grant green???

wel if there is anyone please answer this topic not another.

thanks nico

Social source share

fair point nico, sorry, we were only pulling your leg.

apologies :P .

not personally into any guitarists other than angus scott. anyone else??

its allright i'm not ashamed of it.

kenny burrel,wes montgomery,george benson...should i go on?

yes i should,pat martino,peter bernstein....

nico

Social source share

its allright i'm not ashamed of it.

kenny burrel,wes montgomery,george benson...should i go on?

yes i should,pat martino,peter bernstein....

nico

dont be ashamed nico. there are plenty of people on here who like horrible things like kenny thomas for example :P:P

have you had a listen to the soundfiles on this site?

maybe you can use this site to find out what else there is on offer to soul fans. lots of diverse stuff to check out.

cheers

Shane

Social source share

dont be ashamed nico. there are plenty of people on here who like horrible things like kenny thomas for example :P:P

have you had a listen to the soundfiles on this site?

maybe you can use this site to find out what else there is on offer to soul fans. lots of diverse stuff to check out.

cheers

Shane

THANKS SHANE I WILL CHECK OUT THE FILES.CAN I ADD STUFF TO IT??

I'VE GOT ABOUT1000CD'S (NOT ALL RICK ASTLEY!) SO I THINK I CAN CONTRIBUTE TOO

NICO

Social source share

hmm, in order to bring it sort of back on track, am trying to think of soulful (as in northern soulful) guitar based tracks or ones where the guitar features prominently..... there must be some apart from Dean Parrish I'm on my way oh, and Eddie Bo Our love will never falter ( without straying too far into the obviously more guitar based R&B side of things)... someone help me out please, I'm sure I'm having a brain failure here.... :P

Social source share

I bet none of you pisstakers have ever actually listened to Rick Astley, I have listened to more than a man should have had to as my girlfriend is/was a big fan, and he has a magnificent, powerful singing voice, and I'm being serious...have a listen to that track he did Cry For Help.

As for Grant Green, never heard of him...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

i talked about grant green the most soulfull jazz guitarist ever and you guys throu with mud about rickastley??

i was not talking about him i asked if there is anybody into grant green???

wel if there is anyone please answer this topic not another.

Nico, we are sometimes very prone to irrelevance. I actually like Grant Green and have a large number of his LPs as leader as well as many of the ones on which he was a member of the group, such as the Grassella Oliphant Atlantic LP, and many of the classic Blue Note LPs. I also like Billy Butler, Ivan Jones (I have an original of Sweetback on Joka), Ernest Ranglin and quite a few others. The best guitarist I ever saw live was Phil Upchurch doing a solo of Mercy Mercy Mercy during the interval at Jimmy Smiths 1990 gig at Xenon, of all places.

I still don't like Rick Astley's material though.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

YEH THIS IS FROM HIS LATER RECORDINGS I THINK EARLY70'S

Mid to late 60s, he went back to Blue Note after the Verve period to record things like Live At The Lighthouse.

Social source share

Mid to late 60s, he went back to Blue Note after the Verve period to record things like Live At The Lighthouse.

THAT GRAZZELA OLIFHANT IS QUITE RARE ISNT IT?

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS IT ON LP TOO.

AAH YES BILLY BUTLER HOW COULD I FORGET HIM!!

VERY OBSCURE GUITARIST BUT WHATEVER HE RECORDED SOUNDED SOOO GREAT!!!

I ACTUALLY PLAY SOME GUITAR TOO AND ITS VERY GRANT GREENISH,ALL SINGLE NOTE.

BUT I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO...

NICO

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Sorry but jazz is the worst music ever recorded - any genre of it. And people who profess to like it are always the pseudo intellectual types. I see Stuart Tyler is posting on this thread, SEE WHAT I MEAN :P

The juxtaposition of humour against vitriol within the words of your posting in the electronic medium reminds me of the early unpublished works of Bunuel's father, Isambard. Harlem Rumble is jazz (of a sort), as are most of the Skatalites records, and I reckon you like them. Malcolm X is a barely concealed cover of The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan for instance.

Therefore I am clearly ten times cooler than you. Nice! :P

Social source share

The juxtaposition of humour against vitriol within the words of your posting in the electronic medium reminds me of the early unpublished works of Bunuel's father, Isambard. Harlem Rumble is jazz (of a sort), as are most of the Skatalites records, and I reckon you like them. Malcolm X is a barely concealed cover of The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan for instance.

Therefore I am clearly ten times cooler than you. Nice! :P

:P:P:P

post of the year so far

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

THAT GRAZZELA OLIFHANT IS QUITE RARE ISNT IT?

I ACTUALLY PLAY SOME GUITAR TOO AND ITS VERY GRANT GREENISH,ALL SINGLE NOTE.

Surely you could do a wicked version of One Note Samba? The Grassella Oliphant has been reissued but was never completely impossible on original. Replaced my knackered copy with a mint one for 8 dollars in New York. Has the best version of Canteloupe Island.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!