The Wheel And Late 60S Proto Northern Soul Scenes

Spinning off from the suedehead thread.

I think the Old Soul scene that existed before the term Northern Soul was coined was exactly that scene, it was not a pre-cursor, it just happened that it didn't have the name the scene is known for.

Looking at it nationally apart from the Wheel and the Northants/Beds scene which was running parallel with it, what other areas had established clubs and crowds that would play old mid 60s soul sounds? I'm sure there were clubs around Yorks and Lancs and there was the Blue Orchid in Derby, but I nebver heard of a scene in Leicester despite Jeff King's market stall and Batman, I think those lads hung out at the Wheel.

Were there any nighters around Stoke pre-Torch or in Nottingham? Any in the West Midlands? The Saints & Sinners one was overwhelmingly full of the Northants crowd so that really can't be included as part of the Birmingham scene.

I'm guessing that several towns would have a few soulies but that there were hardly any nighters and if you put one on anywhere in the country people would find their way there. When there wasn't one on one weekend the Northants lot went down to Soho to an all night gay cafe called the Ledouce(?) for the want of somewhere to take gear and listen to the sounds.

Edited by ady croasdell
Social source share

There were niter type venues in the West Yorks towns around the time after the Mojo / Nite Owl closed (late 67 thru into 68).

Seem to recall places such as the Bin Lid in Dewsbury & clubs in Huddersfield / Bradford area.

The Bee Gee in Leeds had been a mod / soul club around 66/67 but have no idea when that closed down.

There was a big Hull soul crowd in 66/67 but many of those people drifted off the niter scene after the Mojo closed (some old Mojo-ites along with newer blood from Hull, Goole, Dony, Lincoln, Sheffield, Notts, Peterboro did start going to the Wheel but lots packed up niters).

Of course the Notts lads had there own niter clubs (Dungeon, Beachcomber, etc).

They held niters in Hull the odd time around 69/70 I seeem to recall (at the Discotheque on Whitefriar Gate).

Always a big crowd from the Midlands at the Wheel (Kidderminster, Peterboro, Walsall, Brum area) so guess they didn't have their own niter after the Nite Owl closed.

Course, after the Wheel, there was Up The Junction in Crewe & VaVa's.

There were strong non-niter soul club scenes all across Yorkshire & down into Nth Notts (Broken Wheel, Retford).

When did they start holding niters in Wakefield ?

Back in the mid 60's, some of the Dony soulies would have a big night out & catch the train to London to attend some of the soul clubs around Paddington, Soho & Liverpool St areas -- but those trips were infrequent.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There were niter type venues in the West Yorks towns around the time after the Mojo / Nite Owl closed (late 67 thru into 68).

Seem to recall places such as the Bin Lid in Dewsbury & clubs in Huddersfield / Bradford area.

There was a nighter in Bradford String of Beads probably around 68.

I heard it was closed by the police after a large batch of two tone pinks

rendered lots of people incapable.

were

Kegsy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Bee Gee in Leeds had been a mod / soul club around 66/67 but have no idea when that closed down.

There was a big Hull soul crowd in 66/67 but many of those people drifted off the niter scene after the Mojo closed (some old Mojo-ites along with newer blood from Hull, Goole, Dony, Lincoln, Sheffield, Notts, Peterboro did start going to the Wheel but lots packed up niters).

They held niters in Hull the odd time around 69/70 I seeem to recall (at the Discotheque on Whitefriar Gate).

Always a big crowd from the Midlands at the Wheel (Kidderminster, Peterboro, Walsall, Brum area) so guess they didn't have their own niter after the Nite Owl closed.

There were strong non-niter soul club scenes all across Yorkshire & down into Nth Notts (Broken Wheel, Retford).

Back in the mid 60's, some of the Dony soulies would have a big night out & catch the train to London to attend some of the soul clubs around Paddington, Soho & Liverpool St areas -- but those trips were infrequent.

I remember Lord Jims in Huddersfield, after the Wheel closed post January 1971...................infamous for its prices re a glass of water.!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There were lots of clubs that had live 'soul' acts on but didn't hold niters ..............

Boston Starlight Room – Ferris Wheel

Hull Gondola -- Chris Farlowe

Bradford String Of Beads – Eric Burdon & The Animals type R&B groups + proper soul acts.

Cleethorpes Purple Onion Club – Alan Bown, etc.

Attic Doncaster -- Billy Stewart, Drifters, etc.

Retford Broken Wheel -- lots of soul acts

There were also lots of clubs on the south coast (Brighton, Portsmouth) that put on loads of live soul acts + in places such as Dunstable

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Hi Ady, two sites of interest to your thread are transpont.blogspot.com/200 www.nightowlclub.com/ They mention The Ramjam Club(Brixton), Mistrale Club(Beckenham), At The Top(Wigan), Whiskey a go go(Sheffield)+Beachcomber(Notts). Best, Carl.

Edited by CARL D
Social source share

Halifax,Bolton,Wakefield,Doncaster,Dewsbury,Burnley,Notts,Leicester,Sheffield,Bradford,Preston,Birmingham,Derby etc.etc all had soul venues around 65 onwards.

Lads from all these places and lots more use to come to The Wheel which benefited from 67 with Mojo and Nite Owl allniters closing as Roburt mentioned.

The Scotch Club in Torquay was a big soul club around 67 onwards well before The Compass.

Manchester had another 2 allniters in the late 60's The Top Twenty and The Majestic.

Sunday afternoon sessions were popular The Boneyard Bolton then the Top Twenty Hollinwood opened and in 70 The Wheel started a Sunday afternoon session.

The Original Northern Classics such as Bobby Sheen, Alexandra Patten,Invitations,Lou Johnson and hundreds more were all played as new releases so it wasn't old soul then.

Edited by bri. phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Loads of London area soul clubs like the Ram Jam .........

Ricky Tick, Windsor, Berkshire

Royalty Ballroom, Southgate, London

Flamingo, Soho

Upper Cut, Forest Gate

Tiles, Soho

Starlite Ballroom, Greenford, Middlesex

Marquee, Soho

Bag O’Nails, Soho

Cue Club, Paddington

California Ballroom, Dunstable

..... & wasn't there some cellar club on Oxford St ??

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The Scotch Club in Torquay was a big soul club around 67 onwards well before The Compass.

Yea, we made the mistake of booking our 67 summer holiday in Yarmouth ............

... everyone else went to Newquay & Torquay in 67 (most to Newquay I seem to recall).

However, there was a good soul crowd in Norwich in 67, so we spent much of the week hanging about with them.

Yarmouth Tower Ballroom was crap that year (both discs, live acts & crowd).

We hung out at Jaquard Coffee Bar in Norwich with local soulies & then went to a club (it may have been called The Disc).

Social source share

Guest Brett F

How long did the Mojo (Sheffield) run for ?, i'm from Sheffield and know a few folks who went in the 60's, did once briefly borrow a book all about the venue, one of the attendees (in his 60's now) told me he sold his soul collection in 71 to finance his honeymoon to Torquay !!

Re the Mojo, i did once attend a reunion in 1984 at the Leadmill club (Sheffield) i was just 19/20 at the time and went because of the history of the club etc.

Was under the impression they had many acts and the flavour of music wasn't only soul, didn't John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers play their ?

Social source share

were

Kegsy yes i was there that night & if i rememder rightly wynder k frogg & jimmy cliff appeared joe

Social source share

How long did the Mojo (Sheffield) run for ?, i'm from Sheffield and know a few folks who went in the 60's, did once briefly borrow a book all about the venue, one of the attendees (in his 60's now) told me he sold his soul collection in 71 to finance his honeymoon to Torquay !!

Re the Mojo, i did once attend a reunion in 1984 at the Leadmill club (Sheffield) i was just 19/20 at the time and went because of the history of the club etc.

Was under the impression they had many acts and the flavour of music wasn't only soul, didn't John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers play their ?

hi brett king mojo opened in march 1964 john mayall s blues breakers did appear see you soon joe ps it closed in oct 67 Edited by joe lakin
Social source share

Halifax,Bolton,Wakefield,Doncaster,Dewsbury,Burnley,Notts,Leicester,Sheffield,Birmingham,Derby etc.etc all had soul venues around 65 onwards.

Lads from all these places and lots more use to come to The Wheel which benefited from 67 with Mojo and Nite Owl allniters closing as Roburt mentioned.

Manchester had another 2 allniters in the late 60's The Top Twenty and The Majestic.

Sunday afternoon sessions were popular The Boneyard Bolton then the Top Twenty Hollinwood opened and in 70 The Wheel started a Sunday afternoon session.

The Original Northern Classics as known now Bobby Sheen, Alexandra Patten,Invitations,Lou Johnson and hundreds more were all played as new releases so it wasn't old soul then.

That's interesting I didn't know Alex P was played as a new release. What about stuff like Frankie. And The Classicals, Sandy Wynns or even Bobby Hebb, or were they discovered once the Old Soul scene had begun its search for unknown dancers.

I'm tring to make a clear distinction between the mod type all nighters and the ones where only older soul records with a good non-funky dance beat were played. I think a lot of the clubs mentioned above were the former. The Nite Owl and Mojo certainly were. What about the Dungeon and Britt, were they Old Soul or mod? I'm pretty sure the Blue Orchid was OS and I think Lord Jims was and the one in W. Yorks they reckoned the Squad set up just to bust people (or was that Lord Jims?)

Social source share

The Mojo started around 64 after Pete Stringfellow had made some money putting a Beatles concert on in Sheffield. Most UK clubs back then were blues clubs (UK groups on mainly), so in the early days here (as at the Wheel) you got blues acts & records played. The mods started taking over & the sounds changed quickly to soul & ska. By 1965/66 it was a pure soul club (though some acts were still beat groups & future reggae guys -- Zoot Money, Jimmy Cliff, etc.).

The normal sessions at the club (mid week) were more poppy but the niters were 100% soul & ska (with great US live acts).

By 1967, the scene was progressing from the mod era & Stringfellow experimented with acts such as Jimi Hendrix & ex soul groups like Alan Bown, etc. --- but rock groups such as the Nice had just a few weeks earlier been backing bands for the likes of P P Arnold).

The clubs decor was changed from mod to gangster to flower power theme (this last change coming in early / mid 67) and some non soul / ska stuff was played ("My Girl The Month of May"). However, mostly, the music & live acts were still soul.

Acts on in last few weeks before club closed were Fantastics (who Stringfellow managed for a while), Drifters, Jimmy Cliff, Garnett Mimms, Stevie Wonder, etc.

Last niter held on Sat 30th Sept & last session on Sunday 8th Oct 67 (alldayer with Stevie Wonder).

Stringfellow always helped out the local students (the art students would decorate the club for him for beer & a few free nites at the place) and so live tracks were cut at the club in 64 / 65 / 67 (??) and student rag 45's put out locally.

I have the 'last' Mojo cut EP which featured a local black group & (the also local) Joe Cocker. Cocker did a resonable version of an Impressions song ("I've Been Trying" I think).

Council closed club down (by refusing it a license) on Tuesday 10th Oct 67.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Hi Ady, two sites of interest to your thread are transpont.blogspot.com/200 www.nightowlclub.com/ They mention The Ramjam Club(Brixton), Mistrale Club(Beckenham), At The Top(Wigan), Whiskey a go go(Sheffield)+Beachcomber(Notts). Best, Carl.

the actor John Mccardle told me about 'At the top' or 'Room at the top' in Wigan..he travelled there from liverpool on his scooter roughly same time as he also visited the Wheel.

Social source share

not sure how long..but as a kid my auntie once told my elder brother that Howlin Wolf played there the week previous..and her daughter in law told me when Ike & Tina played it was sold out and they were helped in thru a toilet window..after hearing a 20 min version of Proud Mary from outside..

Social source share

Mod groups such as the Small Faces & Who made regular live appearances in the Mojo's mod days (I think the Faces 1st gig outside London was at the Mojo after they had been paid off by a sheffield working man club that had booked em to play).

Stringfellow of course was always up on the latest sounds as he organised the dancers on every edition of RSG.

post-22122-0-40645600-1353074666_thumb.j

Social source share

The Mojo wasn't the most ideal club for live acts. The club was housed in a converted house (see piccy above) and this property was long but thin.

So the stage was at the very back of the building & the dressing rooms at the front.

Acts had to walk right through the whole club to get on & off stage (a big problem for the blind Stevie Wonder).

Pete always wanted his audience to get their money's worth .... so if say Ike & Tina put on a great show, when they finished he would tell the crowd not to let them off stage till they had done some more numbers ..... he wasn't the most popular guy with the acts when he did that.

Didn't work well with Roy C though as 80% of his act was made up of repeated attempts at singing "Shotgun Wedding" ........... so he wasn't kept on stage for extra songs by Pete.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Already posted this list on the Nite Owl thread but hey ho ............

...................... Nite Owl live acts back in 1967.

..... some details of the live acts who appeared at the club back then ........

APRIL 8th 67 > Alan Bown Set

APRIL 15th 67 > Wynder K Frog .... last allniter at Mojo (Sheffield) with Geno Washington & RJB on live.

MAY 6th 67 > Pesky-Gee >> didn't attend. Saw Garnett Mimms (+ Jimi Hendrix) at Saville Theatre, London on Sunday 7th

MAY 27th 67 > Powerhouse

JUNE 3rd 67 > Pesky-Gee & Jimmy Cliff

JUNE 10th 67 > no idea who on. Went to Hull Skyline on Thurs 8th > Lucas + Mike Cotton Sound. Frid 9th Jungle in Brid.

JUNE 17th 67 > Wynder K Frog & Pesky-Gee ADVERTISED AS > Sonny Childe & TNT

JUNE 24th 67 > Family (before group became folk rock outfit)

July 15th 67 > ????? >> went to Mojo Alldayer on Sun 16th > (fake) Drifters on live

July 22nd 67 > Pop Toniks

July 29th 67 > Wynder K Frogg didn't attend > went to Mojo Alldayer on Sun 30th > Garnett Mimms on live

August 5th 67 > Shevelles ........ group failed to show up

August 19th 67 > Reg James Explosion > then up to Mojo alldayer (Alan Bown + Wynder K Frogg)

August 26th 67 > Ferris Wheel + Shevelles

September 2nd 67 > Temptations (really Velours) + Pesky-Gee >> Sunday Mojo alldayer > Temptations again

September 9th 67 > Cliff Bennett + the Peeps

September 16th 67 > Root & Jenny Jackson

September 23rd 67 > Garnett Mimms >>>>> I went to Mojo Allniter > Drifters then Sunday Mojo Alldayer > Garnett Mimms

September 30th 67 > ????? >> I went to Mojo Allniter > Jimmy Cliff & Shakedown Sound

October 7th 67 > Maxine Brown GREAT >> then on Sunday > Mojo Alldayer (last ever) > Stevie Wonder

October 14th 67 > ??? went to Wheel > Jnr Walker & AllStars

October 21th 67 > Alan Bown

October 28th 67 > Isley Brothers (fake - really Sam, Erv & Tom > 3/4 of Diplomats)

November 4th 67 > Drifters (fake -- think it was actually the Invitations again)

November 11th 67 > Max Baer & Chicago Setback

November 18th 67 > Jimmy James & Vagabonds

November 25th 67 > ??? >> went to Wheel > Ben E King & Senate + Amboy Dukes

December 2nd 67 > Eddie Floyd

.... MONDAY 4th December 67 > Nite Owl closed down as no Local Authority licence granted.

December 16th 67 > NO NITE OWL >> went to Wheel (our new home) to see the Vibrations.

The main thing that had me attending niters every week back then was the live acts ........... a gudun almost every week.

Other places that had live acts on just before 67 & after 1970 ...............

a place outside Tadcaster at the side of the main Leeds to York road (the Boulevard maybe was its name) ........ .1966-ish

A place in Goole in the early 70's that booked all the fake acts promoted by that infamous UK booking agent (Tempest ?).

He got away with it for 2 years or so coz he always put on groups but when he started booking fake solo singers (Carla Thomas, etc) he was soon seen off.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

in reply to Roburt.

The BeeGee in Leeds closed late 1970, but the Central had started playing normal soul, motown and reggae aound 68/69 after it was wrestled from the rockers and teds. After the BeeGee closed the music at the Central became more all-nighter rarer type soul as some of the BeeGee crowd moved in . The Metro opened in Wakefield shortly after the Wheel closed, then Hernies opened in Leeds shortly after the Metro was busted. That all took place over a roughly 2 year period between late 1970 & 1972.

Wasnt there a club called the Squinting Cat in Bradford Kegsy ? also recall going to a place called the Hole in the Wall which was a coffee bar with a club through the back, somewhere up alley in Bradford around 68 ish..

Not sure which West Yorks club Aidy is referring to regarding the squad setting it up, unless it was the Metro and Soash was squad all along :wicked:

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

A place in Goole in the early 70's that booked all the fake acts promoted by that infamous UK booking agent (Tempest ?).

He got away with it for 2 years or so coz he always put on groups but when he started booking fake solo singers (Carla Thomas, etc) he was soon seen off.

Especially as a bloke turned up coz he thought it was Carl A. Thomas.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

...... OFF THE NET .................

posted up by C J Smith (no relation) .............

CJSCurrentWidgetTILT.jpg

I played guitar in a couple of R n’ B bands but it was while playing the church organ that the local band, The Liberty Takers, heard me playing and recruited me, presenting me with a Vox Continental. In 1966 we metamorphosed into a Soul Band with a black singer, Nelson Fletcher, and became ‘Ellison’s Hog Line.’ We got into the final of one of those band competitions at the Spinning Disc in Leeds, and were pipped at the post by a professional group from Liverpool called the Remo Four. An army of Mods came from Harrogate to support us and the place was packed. Some nights with the Hog Line we played as many as 3 gigs at places with exotic names like ‘The Boston Starlight,’ The TADCASTER BOULEVARD,’ and ‘The Blue Gardenia’ (aka the BEE GEE club on a backstreet in Leeds.) Because the place was so packed with Mods, the only way in was to load our equipment down through the beer barrel hole straight onto the stage. We’d do our 45 minute set and hand the amplifiers back up to Keith, our roadie, a sainted man who got us out of many scrapes.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest chris farrell

Social source share

Wasnt there a club called the Squinting Cat in Bradford Kegsy ? also recall going to a place called the Hole in the Wall which was a coffee bar with a club through the back, somewhere up alley in Bradford around 68 ish..

There was a club called The Black Cat, the hole In The Wall was under The Continental

coffee bar and didnt have any nighters, but was the in place about 68 for soul/reggae sounds.

When the Wheel shut the L'Ambassadeur open in Bradford, for a while, before they busted

it and arrested about 100 of us.The cop shop was packed and Swish had his discotron and records with him

so we had a nighter in the big day cell. Happy Days.

On the groups thing Root n Jenny Jackson were always on around Bradford.

kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Guest chris farrell

The Bee Gee in Leeds, used to go there with a lad called gary from leeds and john sullivan from donny, also the bin lid, string o beads in bradford, tinned chicken and our very own Attic in donny

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

Spinning off from the suedehead thread.

I think the Old Soul scene that existed before the term Northern Soul was coined was exactly that scene, it was not a pre-cursor, it just happened that it didn't have the name the scene is known for.

Looking at it nationally apart from the Wheel and the Northants/Beds scene which was running parallel with it, what other areas had established clubs and crowds that would play old mid 60s soul sounds? I'm sure there were clubs around Yorks and Lancs and there was the Blue Orchid in Derby, but I nebver heard of a scene in Leicester despite Jeff King's market stall and Batman, I think those lads hung out at the Wheel.

Were there any nighters around Stoke pre-Torch or in Nottingham? Any in the West Midlands? The Saints & Sinners one was overwhelmingly full of the Northants crowd so that really can't be included as part of the Birmingham scene.

I'm guessing that several towns would have a few soulies but that there were hardly any nighters and if you put one on anywhere in the country people would find their way there. When there wasn't one on one weekend the Northants lot went down to Soho to an all night gay cafe called the Ledouce(?) for the want of somewhere to take gear and listen to the sounds.

Social source share

The Bee Gee in Leeds, used to go there with a lad called gary from leeds and john sullivan from donny, also the bin lid, string o beads in bradford, tinned chicken and our very own Attic in donny

Sully (John Sullivan) was one of 'our' Dony crowd .... knocked about with him every week for a few years in the mid 60's.

Social source share

That's interesting I didn't know Alex P was played as a new release. What about stuff like Frankie. And The Classicals, Sandy Wynns or even Bobby Hebb, or were they discovered once the Old Soul scene had begun its search for unknown dancers.

I'm tring to make a clear distinction between the mod type all nighters and the ones where only older soul records with a good non-funky dance beat were played. I think a lot of the clubs mentioned above were the former. The Nite Owl and Mojo certainly were. What about the Dungeon and Britt, were they Old Soul or mod? I'm pretty sure the Blue Orchid was OS and I think Lord Jims was and the one in W. Yorks they reckoned the Squad set up just to bust people (or was that Lord Jims?)

Sandy Wynns was known but I don't think Frankie and The Classicals or Bobby Hebb were known on release we started playing Bobby Hebb in 70 at the allniters.

Having said this who knows there were collectors allover with stuff that hardly anybody knew about.

For instance the lads at The Blue Note (close to The Wheel) had Tainted Love,I'm on my way, someday were gonna love again and a few more back in 68 they then moved of the scene because it switched more to bluebeat.I didn't know that at the time because I thought I had everything that was any good.

I think by 68 a lot of the R&B stuff and mid tempo funky stuff was less played at The Wheel although Bobby Bland,James Carr,Johny Taylor etc were always played.Although Roger Eagle mentioned they were only after The Motown beat back in 66 but this would include the uptempo R&B like Sugar pie desanto etc etc.

The Blue Orchid was on a Friday and it was mainly old soul I'm ppretty sure it didn't last long during 1970

Edited by bri. phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The niter biggies back around 67/68/69 are all stuff that the youngauns now call 'youth club sounds ' ............

"I Dig Your Act" "Nothing Else To Say", "Whats Wrong With Me Baby", "Slippin Around", "Open The Door", "Call On Me", "You Can Lead Your Woman, "Washed Ashore", "With This Ring", "You've Been Cheatin" which was just replacing stuff by the likes of Lee Dorsey, Sam & Dave, Don Covay, Joe Tex, J & B Purify, Rufus Thomas, William Bell, etc.

Social source share

Yep Kegsy, the 'L'Ambassadeur..under a big house wasnt it? remember sitting outside in Mick Eastwoods mini..never went in..no gear the time we went!! the club I'm trying to remember was opposite the Midland hotel a bit higher up the road on the left. newish building back then I think. got it..String O Beads!

Social source share

The 'Birdcage' in Portsmouth was the local Mod Club in the area, lots of live bands including visiting US acts & All Night sessions too. See the back of the Jimmy James LP 'The New Religeon' for a great story about coming to play the 'Birdcage' in Pompey...

More about the infamous 'Birdcage'

https://michaelcooper.org.uk/C/birdcage.htm

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

were

Kegsy

sounds like a good place :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

There were lots of clubs that had live 'soul' acts on but didn't hold niters ..............

Boston Starlight Room – Ferris Wheel

Hull Gondola -- Chris Farlowe

Bradford String Of Beads – Eric Burdon & The Animals type R&B groups + proper soul acts.

Cleethorpes Purple Onion Club – Alan Bown, etc.

Attic Doncaster -- Billy Stewart, Drifters, etc.

Retford Broken Wheel -- lots of soul acts

There were also lots of clubs on the south coast (Brighton, Portsmouth) that put on loads of live soul acts + in places such as Dunstable

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

were

Kegsy yes there was, had some good nights there till it closed

Social source share

I DJ'ed at the Attic the night J J Jackson was on live.

Big friends with the venue's 1st DJ ... Scunthorpes Fred Benson (think that was his name, my memory's shot).

The Hull, Scunny & Lincoln (Gordon Raft, Johnny Street, etc) lot would pile into Dony on a Saturday afternoon before we all set off for the Mojo on the night.

Social source share

In Liverpool the Mardi Gras and Victoriana both played "old soul" from about 1968 thru to 1972. The Mardi Gras in particular was popular as local DJ Billy Butler had USA imports that at the time were unavailable anywhere else in UK.

Billy Butler was probably the first to play the Kittens Aint no more room; Cigarette ash; and Darkest days by Jackie Lee.

Once saw the Invitations at the Mardi Gras, probably 1970, masquerading, or at least billed as the "Original Drifters", a common practice in the early 70s. They were astonished to find that UK kids were still dancing to their Whats wrong with me baby track.

Dave Banks

Social source share

I DJ'ed at the Attic the night J J Jackson was on live.

Big friends with the venue's 1st DJ ... Scunthorpes Fred Benson (think that was his name, my memory's shot).

The Hull, Scunny & Lincoln (Gordon Raft, Johnny Street, etc) lot would pile into Dony on a Saturday afternoon before we all set off for the Mojo on the night.

Fred Benson a name from the pastpost-9178-0-29259700-1353082450_thumb.jp You didn't go to this gig in Grimsby did you 1970 I did with Fred Benson,A lad called Tony Brown put it on.

I got Moses Smith and Emanuel Laskey off him at the time he wasn't that keen on them>

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

In Liverpool the Mardi Gras and Victoriana both played "old soul" from about 1968 thru to 1972. The Mardi Gras in particular was popular as local DJ Billy Butler had USA imports that at the time were unavailable anywhere else in UK.

Billy Butler was probably the first to play the Kittens Aint no more room; Cigarette ash; and Darkest days by Jackie Lee.

Once saw the Invitations at the Mardi Gras, probably 1970, masquerading, or at least billed as the "Original Drifters", a common practice in the early 70s. They were astonished to find that UK kids were still dancing to their Whats wrong with me baby track.

Dave Banks

Yeah I forgot The Mardi Gras and Billy Buttler he use to write to me for my lists lists around 69/70 and he had the first copy of Temptation Walk and The Kittens at that time.

They had some great acts on there.

Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

my older sister used to go to Room At The Top (Wigan) in Mod era c1964-65 think it closed around 67 - i dont think it was 100% soul though

Social source share

I remember Lord Jims in Huddersfield, after the Wheel closed post January 1971...................infamous for its prices re a glass of water.!

Lord Jims opened around 1965 as a soul venue. I took over the DJing in 1969 and Les Cokell joined me at later date. We would travel to the Wheel after Jims closed at 2pm.

Julian

Social source share

Fred Benson a name from the pastpost-9178-0-29259700-1353082450_thumb.jp You didn't go to this gig in Grimsby did you 1970 I did with Fred Benson,A lad called Tony Brown put it on.

I got Moses Smith and Emanuel Laskey off him at the time he wasn't that keen on them>

Bloody hell , 7/6 to get in and Go Go Dancers :thumbup: , wish I had a time machine (yes I have got a watch !)

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Krissii

Plebs in Halifax (Plebians Club) had soul alnighters in the 60s and also bands on . Root and Jenny Jackson (from Huddersfield ?) , kegsy mentioned , were regulars there and some American groups played there too. It was in some cellars that had been knocked through , under a mill . There is a book about it i think.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!