What Would Jesus Do?

Garethx

I've been thinking about the "What Would Jesus Do" movement in the states and wondering how those principles might be applied to the soul scene.

If he were a collector would he stick to originals only, or buy the odd cheeky pressing of a sound he really liked. If he deejayed would he think it acceptable to play from CDs (for the right crowd)? If he were a promoter, what kind of do would he put on? The best in newies, thinking man's oldies, a bit of crossover and a smattering of R&B possibly? What would his views be on the subject of smoking at venues? And would he cast the record dealers out of the soul night/allnighter?

Your thoughts please...

Edited by garethx
Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've been thinking about the "What Would Jesus Do" movement in the states and thinking how those principles might be applied to the soul scene.

If he were a collector would he stick to originals only, or buy the odd cheeky pressing of a sound he really liked. If he deejayed would he think it acceptable to play from CDs (for the right crowd)? If he were a promoter, what kind of do would he put on? The best in newies, thinking man's oldies, a bit of crossover and a smattering of R&B possibly? What would his views be on the subject of smoking at venues? And would he cast the record dealers out of the soul night/allnighter?

Your thoughts please...

==========

Not sure he'd sit comfortably with anything to do with X over, too many memories. :shhh: If he were playing to the 5000 suppose he may have 2 CDs and 5 originals. The one I wonder about? Would he change water into wh*zz :)

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I've been thinking about the "What Would Jesus Do" movement in the states and thinking how those principles might be applied to the soul scene.

Your thoughts please...

Marvellous questions. I have consulted with the Archbishop of Canterbury's office and they were positive that there is a consensus between all denominations that Jesus would only play 6Ts newies on original vinyl issue (if there was one) and if He came across a DJ playing the same boring "I know its crap but it gets the crowd dancing" stuff as everyone else He would perform a miracle and turn the contents of their record boxes into previoulsy unissued acetate only tracks and see to it that they were good (or was that bit His dad?). Not sure about dealers but those who DJ off CD or reissues would be cast out into the darkness apparently.

He would also insist on membership cards.

Anyone says different is a heretic and wil be consumed by the flames of damnation. Eternally. If that is possible.

Social source share

Marvellous questions. I have consulted with the Archbishop of Canterbury's office and they were positive that there is a consensus between all denominations that Jesus would only play 6Ts newies on original vinyl issue (if there was one) and if He came across a DJ playing the same boring "I know its crap but it gets the crowd dancing" stuff as everyone else He would perform a miracle and turn the contents of their record boxes into previoulsy unissued acetate only tracks and see to it that they were good (or was that bit His dad?). Not sure about dealers but those who DJ off CD or reissues would be cast out into the darkness apparently.

He would also insist on membership cards.

Anyone says different is a heretic and wil be consumed by the flames of damnation. Eternally. If that is possible.

=============

Have you been reading Dante's Inferno again? :shhh:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

He wouldn't do anything, he would just sit around watching everyone else fight over it, like he does with everything else. :)

Ooooh, the things I've got to say to that %^$$%&&^ when I meet him. :shhh:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I've been thinking about the "What Would Jesus Do" movement in the states and wondering how those principles might be applied to the soul scene.

Your thoughts please...

Oh God, Please deliver me from all temptation from buying bootlegs, pressings and please God may all my allnighters be heavenly ones, May i be Heavenly Blocked ( not Nige ). :shhh:

Steve

Social source share

He wouldn't do anything, he would just sit around watching everyone else fight over it, like he does with everything else. :)

==============

Yeah I'd have a few questions and theories to put to him as well, but I'd best not air them on here, don't fancy being hit over the head by Charlton Heston with the ten commandments :)

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

=============

Have you been reading Dante's Inferno again? :)

Is that the one that describes purgatory as "Y2K heavy beats mixed by da kru for da punters delite"?

He wouldn't do anything, he would just sit around watching everyone else fight over it, like he does with everything else. :D

:) Too right mate.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think he would just play all my favourite song's because he loves me the most :)

I'm sure he'd make you wash his feet with your hair and stop you getting stoned. :shhh:

Jesus probably hasn't got anything by Meatloaf anyway.

Social source share

He wouldn't do anything, he would just sit around watching everyone else fight over it, like he does with everything else. :D

Hey doesn't look like you'll be meeting him after that comment :D:)

Think he'd like this one :)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hey doesn't look like you'll be meeting him after that comment :shhh::)

Think he'd like this one :)

Oh don't worry, I won't be sticking around chatting for long. A quick natter and I'll be on my way. :D

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

How about 'if I had a hammer il'd smash up all the disco records' :):shhh:

Is this a prelude on doing an insurance job on Dave Abbott's record collection? may I remind you that acts of God (which I would take to include his physical embodiment in the form of his son) are usually excluded, so you'd be better off claiming that Pete Smith did it.

Social source share

Hey doesn't look like you'll be meeting him after that comment :thumbsup::lol:

===========

Isn't it said he forgives everything and turns the other cheek? So basically we can say what we like and then he'll explain where we went wrong, and say "Don't worry I haven't taken offence, you're only human after all". :) He would have to be big hearted anyway to forgive the R&B played on the scene :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is this a prelude on doing an insurance job on Dave Abbott's record collection? may I remind you that acts of God (which I would take to include his physical embodiment in the form of his son) are usually excluded, so you'd be better off claiming that Pete Smith did it.

I think Pete would get the blame anyway since im Jesus favourite :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

===========

Isn't it said he forgives everything and turns the other cheek? So basically we can say what we like and then he'll explain where we went wrong, and say "Don't worry I haven't taken offence, you're only human after all". :thumbsup: He would have to be big hearted anyway to forgive the R&B played on the scene :thumbsup:

Can you post this on one of the other threads?

Social source share

He'd probably ask for Ramsey Lewis - Walk on the Water :thumbsup: ....... or,er, cough, cough - or The Disciples of Soul on PHANTOM...or Troy Dodds - Rise Up and Walk .er.er, coat.... on shoulders, walking, gone..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

==========

Jesus may forgive, not sure the same can be said of us as a species......but lovely sentiment :thumbsup:

i`d be inclined to ¡sk him, "oh lord whats happening to our people"
Social source share

He'd probably ask for Ramsey Lewis - Walk on the Water :thumbsup: ....... or,er, cough, cough - or The Disciples of Soul on PHANTOM...or Troy Dodds - Rise Up and Walk .er.er, coat.... on shoulders, walking, gone..... :thumbsup:

Disciples of Soul. Bought this a few years ago for £60 at Wilton . What a top tune. Anyone heard it anywhere recently ?

Steve

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
i`d be inclined to ¡sk him, "oh lord whats happening to our people"
Follow by The Right Direction :thumbsup: Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Whats goin on ?

Steve

I Say a little pray

The moment I wake up

Before I put on my makeup

I say a little pray for you

While combing my hair now,

And wondering what dress to wear now,

I say a little prayer for you

Forever, and ever, you'll stay in my heart

and I will love you

Forever, and ever, we never will part

Oh, how I love you

Together, forever, that's how it must be

To live without you

Would only meen heartbreak for me.

I run for the bus, dear,

While riding I think of us, dear,

I say a little prayer for you.

At work I just take time

And all through my coffee break-time,

I say a little prayer for you.

and I will love you

Forever, and ever we never will part

Oh, how I'll love you

To live without you

Would only mean heartbreak for me.

My darling believe me, ( beleive me)

For me there is no one but you!

Please love me too (answer his pray)

And I'm in love with you (answer his pray)

Answer my prayer now babe (answer his pray)

and I will love you

Forever, and ever we never will part

Oh, how I'll love you

To live without you

Would only mean heartbreak for me (oooooooooh)

:thumbsup:

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Thanks alot for talking about the upcoming 'job' on an open forum. And on reading this i suppose Plan B of 'my records were eaten my a great storm of locusts' would not work either.

Jesus would of course only have and play originals; apart from the time that he bought a boot of 'John and the Weirdest', but that of course has been replaced with an original now. Jesus decided not to release Frank Wilson, it wasnt Berry Gordy. Jesus loves everyone and treats people who have boots or play disco as he would any other leper and of course if he did promote a soul nite it would be the best soul nite ever.

Social source share

Your thoughts please...

A very long time ago...........Heavens in your arms :unsure: Got it by the......... :D
Social source share

Jesus would approach from a high plain, I'd see only his silhouette, then his shadow would fall upon me as he got ever near, within a second his eyes would look deep into mine...........His gaze would hold me for one brief moment........But then I'd notice in his hand a dirt ridden 45' vinyl record......through that filth I can make out the label "Okeh"....and the legend......Billy Butler........"The Right Track"

I turn on my heels and flee like a fiend twisted on cheap ether and mescaline.......screaming....."NEVERMORE, NEVERMORE"

Brett Franklin

Social source share

Disciples of Soul. Bought this a few years ago for £60 at Wilton . What a top tune. Anyone heard it anywhere recently ?

Steve

I've played it out once or twice north of the border from the pulpit to assembled 'non-believers', before retreating into the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights...

Hammy

Social source share

Jesus would approach from a high plain, I'd see only his silhouette, then his shadow would fall upon me as he got ever near, within a second his eyes would look deep into mine...........His gaze would hold me for one brief moment........But then I'd notice in his hand a dirt ridden 45' vinyl record......through that filth I can make out the label "Okeh"....and the legend......Billy Butler........"The Right Track"

I turn on my heels and flee like a fiend twisted on cheap ether and mescaline.......screaming....."NEVERMORE, NEVERMORE"

Brett Franklin

Social source share

Jesus would do the temptation walk.

Check out " Please stay don't go " by Jesus Alvarez the only gospel anyone should listen to .............. think it came out on Sugarhill

Social source share

Would his favoutite record be Barefootin' or I'll Forgive & Forget?

I think he would prefer the Carpenters.

Paul

None of those...It`s gotta be the obvious ones....

ROD KEITH-LIKE THE LORD SAID- PREVIEW :P:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MIKE McDONALD-GOD KNOWS-RCA

CHRISTopher Cerf-Sweet Music-AMY

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Who is this Jesus anyway?

Never heard of him. :P

tut tut.... he's the man who loves me the most! you tickets know nuffink :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by Janine
Social source share

None of those...It`s gotta be the obvious ones....

ROD KEITH-LIKE THE LORD SAID- PREVIEW :D:D:lol:

MIKE McDONALD-GOD KNOWS-RCA

CHRISTopher Cerf-Sweet Music-AMY

:lol: And what was that 'Don't wanna see myself' disco number? Top modern God-bothering. :D

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!