The Northern Soul Top 500-Definitive Edition. Nov 30Th

Goldsoul

Hey if you don't buy my new book, there'll be no turkey this Christmas. The kids will be getting an apple and orange at best, so please, give generously x

https://www.goldsoul.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=68

Images now in full colour, this is a perfect Christmas gift to all. Available from Goldsoul, Amazon and good record stores such as Beatin' Rhythm(Manchester)

Hopefully receiving favourable reviews from Steve Cato, Mike Lofthouse, Trev Thomas fairly soon.

Signed copies at no extra cost.

post-9362-0-70714500-1353243524.png

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev having bought this book twice already, should I buy it again? Not knocking it, I think it's in the top 3 books ever, but is it a lot different from edition 2?

I've just asked the same question on FB after posted up there. I have a reply but will wait for Kev's response on here.

What I would like to know is who chose the 500. Is it a poll of people choosing their top 500 or your choice Kev?

Also is there a kindle version?

Social source share

Pete-A lot of chart positions have changed to accomodate popular floor fillers today. That means Beggin-Timebox but also This Is My Rainy Day-The Parliaments. The images are also in colour, which was price prohibitive 12 years ago.

Please buy it......its the difference between a Steak and Kidney Pie or Turkey Dinner :D

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Our family will always stick to buying a much more favourable turkey than finance yours :yes:.

WTF is Mike Lofthouse, Steve Cato and Trev Thomas doing reviewing as favourable !! :ohmy:

:(

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

And the ones I don't have, my close friends do.

Now get bloody ordering :D

what both of em?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

1.Do i love you, 2.Out on the floor, 3.Tainted love?? You Didnt say a Word instead of Tainted Love, Kev?

Edited by CARL D
Social source share

1.Do i love you, 2.Out on the floor, 3.Tainted love??

1: Just Loving you - Ruby Andrews

2: Just Loving You - Ruby Andrews

3: Just Loving You - Ruby Andrews

The Ruby Andrews track is a new entry at number 3 with Ruby Andrews moving up from number 3 to number 2. The Ruby Andrews track 'Just Loving you' is a new entry at number 1 (replacing Ruby Andrews).

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

cant comment on this latest volume as i havn't seen it, however i did receive the first one as an unwanted christmas present a few years ago, i enjoyed thumbing through it looking at the scans of the record labels, however i did find the top ten charts at the back a bit tedious, but overall a pretty good coffee table book,

there you go mr roberts, favourable enough for you

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Apparently this definitive book says "During the 80's the movement took a serious turn for the worse, however with the advent of the 90's and CD's, things could not be more healthier".

That certainly wasn't my experience and it isn't a view which I could agree with now.

Peter

Peter-Thanks for bringing a very out of date press release to my attention, that must have been re-used instead of the current one. Many apologies, that isn't my view today.

Clearly the 80's sowed some pretty good seeds to which the masses are enjoying today.

One thing is for sure, you can be on this scene for decades, but it never ceases to amaze. From a pretty heavy piece of research on Facebook around a year ago, I found one single Top 5 'current Northern favourites' as follows;

1. Beggin-Timebox

2. Tribute- Bob Sinclair

3. Soul in the Sun-Tommy Hunt

4. When We Get There- Paul Anka

5. Pow Wow-Manny Corchado

No Frank Wilson, Epitome of Sound and from the other side, no Mello Souls, Combinations, Chuck Cockerham or Natural Impulse.

Yet, She's Gone-Hamilton Movement scored more votes than ever before.

Weirder and weirder........

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You didnt say a word instead of Tainted love, Kev?

1.Do i love you, 2.Out on the floor, 3.Tainted love?? You Didnt say a Word instead of Tainted Love, Kev?

Social source share

Hi Kev

Wasn't looking for an apology mate - and wasn't trying to be difficult. The 80's for me (and many others) was a great time musically and venue/niter wise too. Clifton Hall, Cleethorpes, Stafford, Leicester Odd Fellows etc - hugely popular all niters, packed to the rafters with soul people on a new soul journey of modern/contemporary sounds juxtaposed with the style of Keb and Guy and their 60's newies offerings etc. I had my best times in the 80's by a long, long way.

Cheers

Peter

:thumbsup:

What he meant was that the numbers diwndled to a point where there were only about 1000 people actively on the scene in the early and mid 80's, then lots of people began to return in the 90's, the cd's were part of that phenomenon and it's why the scene is as healthy as it is nowadays, petty arguments nonstanding.

Social source share

What he meant was that the numbers diwndled to a point where there were only about 1000 people actively on the scene in the early and mid 80's, then lots of people began to return in the 90's, the cd's were part of that phenomenon and it's why the scene is as healthy as it is nowadays, petty arguments nonstanding.

Not sure if you meant my post was a petty argument Pete - I'm sure you didn't. :)

It was a valid point and one which Kev acknowledged - as you can see from his post he even says he's changed his mind on what was an outdated view.

Peter

Social source share

Not sure if you meant my post was a petty argument Pete - I'm sure you didn't. :)

It was a valid point and one which Kev acknowledged - as you can see from his post he even says he's changed his mind on what was an outdated view.

Peter

No I was just stating a fact that NS almost disappeared in the 80's...

Social source share

What I always find interesting is that northern soul in the early 80's until mid 90's is often portrayed in books, personal statements, video footage and so on from a quite insular view. By then northern soul was for many people a stable diet on the scooter, mod and a little bit on the skinhead scene all over europe. Collecting original vinyl was not as big as it is now (well not as big in comparison to the uk) but ''Kent'' & ''Northern Soul Stories lp's'' , German/ Italian!Spanish.. Motown lp's & 7" were very much in vogue & sought after !!!! I guess you could argue that allnighters were run a little different then in the uk with a rather mixed crowd but hmm.. there was a torch burning in europe :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky-Good valid comments except don't fall into the trap that todays scene are made up of returnees. Judging by the numbers at big do's, it's more a case of the 'Jean Genie' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' person has switched to Northern as there really isn't anywhere for them to go .

I mean, when did you last see an advert in the local rag for a Top 70's night playing Racey, Chris Spedding and Pickettywich? Simple...there isn't one. SOUL is the only game in town!

The reality is, the 'newbies' have obviously been smitten with Frank Wilson, Dobie Gray and Bobby Womack but to be fair, they are enjoying The Tempests and in some case This Is My Rainy Day.

To a more hardened fan, it all gets a bit strange when 'newbie' is into Paul Anka, Bob Sinclair, Julian Covey and Get Ready-The Temptations in the same set. Since my original book 12 years ago, the scene has expanded as you know only too well. For me as a promoter its good news but then again I have competition from every town and in a lot of cases, regular fans now running nights every weekend...just to DJ.

Welcome to the Northern mass scene....2012.

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was doing anything between 2 and 5 venues every weekend, odd one in the week as well. I went to many nighters and soul nights that were rammed. Yes some low on numbers but it hadn't disappeared like some of you seem to think. Many of today spins are 80's discoveries as well. All the DJs had imagination, playing sets they believed in and dancers more than appreciated.

The 90's saw the scene go so far backwards it was the 70's all over again and that is where it has stayed with sheep for DJ's with no imagination playing the same few hundred records.

If it wasn't for those in the 80's there would have been nothing for the "returnees" to come back to.

About matches my experiences Chalky

Fantastic rammed venues, plenty of new music, and plenty going off.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was doing anything between 2 and 5 venues every weekend, odd one in the week as well. I went to many nighters and soul nights that were rammed. Yes some low on numbers but it hadn't disappeared like some of you seem to think. Many of today spins are 80's discoveries as well. All the DJs had imagination, playing sets they believed in and dancers more than appreciated.

The 90's saw the scene go so far backwards it was the 70's all over again and that is where it has stayed with sheep for DJ's with no imagination playing the same few hundred records.

If it wasn't for those in the 80's there would have been nothing for the "returnees" to come back to.

You're missing the point of what I'm trying to say, the numbers were low, very low. Nobody can deny that, as nobody can deny that the internet bought it all together again.

Social source share

It's funny Peter I keep reading "the scene was dead in the 80's" from people I don't remember seeing in venues up and down he country. The scene ws very much alive and thriving in my experience.

Well you might have seen me up til 1984 Chalky but then I moved a long long way away and only attended events when I went back home...funny cos by coincidence, I don't remember seeing you either :lol:

Edited by Pete S
Social source share