Looking For The Info Behind Two Rare Soul Tracks

Hello All,

I'm seeking information on two rare soul classics. I'd appreciate any info you might have on the songs or the artists, as all I have are some .wav files with no additional info. Specifically, I'd love to know the songwriters, the original label, publishing information, anything will help...The tunes are:

Don't Turn Away - Willie McDougal

I Got To Know - Cookie Jackson (I think this one might've been on Okeh originally)

And I'd love to know who these artists were, these tracks show up in many folks' play lists but biographical information has proven difficult!

Thanks so much.

Jordan Valentine

Edited by MizValentine
Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Willie McDougal is on Kinard if my memory serves me correctly.

Was played quite a lot ... a good few years back now mind ........ covered up at one time too ....

Chalky's the master of all things soul .... i'm sure he'll be able to help :thumbsup:

Thank you very kindly! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Willie McDougal is on Kinard if my memory serves me correctly.

Was played quite a lot ... a good few years back now mind ........ covered up at one time too ....

Chalky's the master of all things soul .... i'm sure he'll be able to help :thumbsup:

Willie McDougal def. on Kinard - Pat Brady spun it at the Quenns hall, Bradford late 80's / early 90s covered up I think. Copies about £25 / £40???

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Willie McDougal first covered up as Gene McDaniels. Played by Pat, Carl F and Nigel Parker Queens Hall and other venues at the time. At £25/£40 I'll have ten copies :thumbsup: you'd be looking at least £150 IMO nowadays, wouldn't suirprise me if it went for more, on plenty of folks wants lists :thumbsup:

Social source share

Excellent information all, thank you!!

Anybody know who wrote either song? (I'd buy them and look at the label, but from what you say it doesn't sound like I'll be getting my hands on a copy of Don't Turn Away anytime soon....!)

Social source share

See what i mean ....... the master!!

We've probably been going to niters the same amount of years Chalky ..... WHY ISN'T YOUR BRAIN AS HAGGLED AS MINE wacko.gif

far from a master Joan :thumbsup: if I get as good as my mate Andy then you can call me a master :thumbsup: doubt it though :lol:

as for my brain...it's getting there :)

see you Saturday :)

Social source share

Did anyone else pick up a copy of Willy McDougal in '88 in a "Mutual Record Co. Baltimore" striped factory bag? My copy of Monroe Taylor from Soul Bowl years earlier also came in such a sleeve, but I've never seen any other records that did. Is it just a coincidence that both were presented in this way?

Social source share

Excellent information all, thank you!!

Anybody know who wrote either song? (I'd buy them and look at the label, but from what you say it doesn't sound like I'll be getting my hands on a copy of Don't Turn Away anytime soon....!)

Cliff Chambers wrote the Cookie Jackson. Blind Love is the flip. Cookie Jackson even more expensive than the Willie McDougal.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Cliff Chambers wrote the Cookie Jackson. Blind Love is the flip. Cookie Jackson even more expensive than the Willie McDougal.

Brilliant! Thank you.. you saved me a really ponderous request with the US Copyright Office.

Are there any other Cookie Jackson tracks anyone could recommend? I think her voice is amazing...

Social source share

Brilliant! Thank you.. you saved me a really ponderous request with the US Copyright Office.

Are there any other Cookie Jackson tracks anyone could recommend? I think her voice is amazing...

Cookie Jackson 'Try love' on both Cyclone and Progress is even better IMO

Used to be around £400, but not sure if still the case.

Try Love on Cyclone, one on Okeh title escapes me :unsure:

'Good girl gone bad???' and 'Suffer?' ring a bell.

Also one on Uptown but it's pants :D

Social source share

See what i mean ....... the master!!

We've probably been going to niters the same amount of years Chalky ..... WHY ISN'T YOUR BRAIN AS HAGGLED AS MINE wacko.gif

Sorry to go off thread but Joan what was that 70`s thing you played on Saturday night I think you said it was the Expulsions,could be wrong.Uptempo thing.Was great to see you again,you and Lenny were ace!!!!!!

If it`s any help ma brains pretty scrambled too.

best

Andy. :unsure:

Social source share

Nearly forgot 'Didn't lose a doggone thing' on Press.

Great R&B tune.

Got another tune by an artist called Cookie Jackson on Reena but can't be same artist cus it's really bad Country and Western (so bad even I don't like it :unsure: )

must be bad then :D:D

sorry couldn't resist that one mate :D

Social source share

Sorry to go off thread but Joan what was that 70`s thing you played on Saturday night I think you said it was the Expulsions,could be wrong.Uptempo thing.Was great to see you again,you and Lenny were ace!!!!!!

If it`s any help ma brains pretty scrambled too.

best

Andy. :unsure:

Hey fella ..... i think me and Lenny should have been the expulsions!!

Was so top to see you on Saturday ..... it really was ...

nearly forgot ..... the record .... it was the EXPORTATIONS - I WANT YOU - VIR RO

Social source share

also cookie jackson, on uptown records--" uptown jerk" b/w "(i'm gonna) go shout it on the mountain" (700) uptown's 1st. release and "find me a lover" b/w "love brings pain" (714)

Social source share

'Try Love' is a great track!! I can hear even more of the fire in her voice than on I Got To Know.

That clip may be the hilight of my afternoon here... :unsure:

Social source share

also cookie jackson, on uptown records--" uptown jerk" b/w "(i'm gonna) go shout it on the mountain" (700) uptown's 1st. release and "find me a lover" b/w "love brings pain" (714)

Is that you Mr Ferguson? :unsure:

Heard you were sniffing around on here :D

'Uptown jerk' is the crap one I seem to remember - is the other one on Uptown any good?

Regards

Mace.

Social source share

'Try Love' is a great track!! I can hear even more of the fire in her voice than on I Got To Know.

That clip may be the hilight of my afternoon here... :unsure:

Some other great tunes in that style -

Mabel King 'Go back home young fella' (Amy)

Patience Valentine ' If you don't come' (Sar)

Reatha Resse 'Only lies' (Dot)

Mary Jonshon 'These tears' (Foxy or Queen)

Top notch R&B - but Northern Soul to those that don't like R&B :D:D

Social source share

Top notch R&B - but Northern Soul to those that don't like R&B :unsure::D

HI Mace :D only got two of those you list :D Sold the other two as oldies :D
Social source share

Top notch R&B - but Northern Soul to those that don't like R&B :unsure::D

Very cool, I'll keep an eye out for those..

I love that style, whatever you call it! :D

Social source share

'Uptown jerk' is the crap one I seem to remember - is the other one on Uptown any good?

"Love Brings Pain" Her best IMO thumbsup.gif

Pretty cheap too!!,or it was :rolleyes: ,dried up and i want one :rolleyes:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!