Time Out For Mr Bicknell

Due to recent personal and private circumstances, work and family commitments and a total U-turn by myself in life style and several other factors which one or two people know about (and before you say it yes i know i have mentioned this a couple of times in the past) but i really need some time out from the scene, DJ'ing etc. which even means i will be unable to honour several bookings coming up, at this moment in time my heart just ain't in it anymore, too many far more important issues and things to deal with, i love the music with a passion, will continue to collect and present my Solar show but as for covering all points of the compass around the country DJ'ing my own peace of mind, family and work has suffered big time, due to outside pressure and my latest diabetic check up i have no choice but to change a few things in my life, a big sorry to a few promoters who i am about to let down and a big thank you to everyone out there.

I hope to be able to still contribute to the scene via my Solar show on Sunday's which i can do at my own pace but i hope to still maintain a standard, i wish everyone well on the scene and i hope to be able to get back in the swing of things somewhere down the line. When, where who knows.I just need some time out, need to do something else as i value a little more than a box of records, everything else has slipped down the pecking order and i'm not prepared to risk all the good things in my life anymore, and finally no the collection is not for sale although thirty grand would come in very useful right now.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Best of luck Mark

having taken a break myself recently, I think it's probably the best thing you can do. The scene is not a great place if your heart's not in it. I'm a diabetic myself, and there's a lot of ignorance about serious it can be if your control isn't spot on. Put your health first mate and come back refreshed and reinvigorated.

I took 5 months away from things and am all the happier because of it.

Do it - and don't let anyone change your mind mate. Hope I'm not sermonising.

Hammy

Social source share

Due to recent personal and private circumstances, work and family commitments and a total U-turn by myself in life style and several other factors which one or two people know about (and before you say it yes i know i have mentioned this a couple of times in the past) but i really need some time out from the scene, DJ'ing etc. which even means i will be unable to honour several bookings coming up, at this moment in time my heart just ain't in it anymore, too many far more important issues and things to deal with, i love the music with a passion, will continue to collect and present my Solar show but as for covering all points of the compass around the country DJ'ing my own peace of mind, family and work has suffered big time, due to outside pressure and my latest diabetic check up i have no choice but to change a few things in my life, a big sorry to a few promoters who i am about to let down and a big thank you to everyone out there.

I hope to be able to still contribute to the scene via my Solar show on Sunday's which i can do at my own pace but i hope to still maintain a standard, i wish everyone well on the scene and i hope to be able to get back in the swing of things somewhere down the line. When, where who knows.I just need some time out, need to do something else as i value a little more than a box of records, everything else has slipped down the pecking order and i'm not prepared to risk all the good things in my life anymore, and finally no the collection is not for sale although thirty grand would come in very useful right now.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,I hope you keep well and continue your contribution to "soul" as you have for many years. :unsure: Health and family are priorities especially children. :D Keep in touch and 'phone me anytime .ATVB Stevie :D
Social source share

Well Mr B

I for one am gonna miss you contributing on here and also your sets around the country. Mentors like yourselves are needed on the scene for both the young and the old whom are into all things northern. But like you say you need time now to take stock of the things that are important, especially your health (trust me I'm a nurse) I will be up to see you shortly (as promised) for the radio show, and be prepared for plenty of emails wanting info etc on sounds that you play. No doubt when you are ready again, we shall still be here arguing about issues, taking the mick out of dodgy ebay sellers and generally lovin the soul as much as you do, So will welcome ya back with open arms. Oh Mr B, one more thing if ya need someone to look after those record boxes full of the lovely black stuff til you're up to spinnin again Can I have first refusal :D:D:unsure: You take care now bro

Dawn

xxxxxx

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Keep your health Mark, a box of vinyl ain't a priority at a time like this. :unsure:
Social source share

:D

Mark

as one of the unfortunates not to have your talent at Sweetsoul.We can only say get sorted and when your fit and well and able ,Let me know and will welcome you with open stage,

The best of Health to you and keep contributing,cause the good things(family and health)in life are few and we all need to get what we can whilst we can.

"Good luck"

Doug and all at Sweetsoul Newark

:unsure::D

Social source share

Take care big fellow look after yourself and family the scene will still be here when you return i know with some of the problems iv,e had in the past with my health i had to put my heart befor my soul see you on your return :unsure:

HB :D

Social source share

Sorry to hear this mark but health is an important issue at our time of life.Look after yourself mate i know you won't be gone long when it's in your blood it's there to stay.

All the best Taff

Social source share

Do what you have to Mark ...... we'll all still be here ..... arguing the toss about oldies/newies ..... vinyl/cd's ....... originals/pressings ...... black/white ..... chicken/egg .... :unsure:

Only a phone call ..... 30 mins away if you need anything ..... you know that ....

The best of everything big fella .... now and always xxx

Social source share

Wow, thanks for all your beautiful kind comments etc. it's not only a health issue as i say one or two people will know where i am coming from, i'm fine just need a change of direction and a more normal way off life, no temptation of beer and other things that take my fancy.

You are all brilliant and yes Taffy it is in our blood...always.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mark, you know the line from the 4tops ''do what you gotta do''.you've amazed us for many years and I know in the not to distant future (I hope) you'll be amazing us again with your fabulous taste in music again.

Edited by MAK
Social source share

Check your phone messages Mark....your getting me worried....

Brett

Brett, I got your message mate, no need to worry all is cool, i just need to get a few things into perspective mate will talk soon i hope.

Big sorry to Mace at Bidds, Mark Ethridge at Ponds Ford, Sheffield, Pete Kelross and Derek Mead at Bisley Pavillion, Rich and Jamie at Soulsville, Leeds, Johnny Timlin at The Valatone,London and a few others who have taken the trouble to book me over the next few months, i've sent you all an email and my original post should explain why i am unable to show.

Like i say will still be doing my thing on Solar www.solarradio.com every Sunday 8pm - 10pm.

Thanks again - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mark, as a diabetic i know where your coming from on the helth issue! i dont know what else is going on in your life so i cant comment but you have always struck me as a brilliant guy, always had a smile on your face and always had a hello when we have seen each other! BE WELL, GET PRIORITIES SORTED and then when you come back you will be welcomed back as though you havent been away. People on this scene dont forget guys like you.

Be well m8

Social source share

Due to recent personal and private circumstances, work and family commitments and a total U-turn by myself in life style and several other factors which one or two people know about (and before you say it yes i know i have mentioned this a couple of times in the past) but i really need some time out from the scene, DJ'ing etc.

So Sad but fully understandable...."Do What You Gotta Do Mate"....

Jon & Sue Buck

Social source share

Big sorry and thanks also to Jon and Sue Buck as i won't be able to make the Leighton Buzzard reunion over Easter and also to Steve Plumb, Flanny and Barry at The Orwell Alldayer, Wigan on Easter Sunday, that pretty much covers all the future gigs, thanks also to everyone on here for your kind words and comments.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Big sorry and thanks also to Jon and Sue Buck as i won't be able to make the Leighton Buzzard reunion over Easter and also to Steve Plumb, Flanny and Barry at The Orwell Alldayer, Wigan on Easter Sunday, that pretty much covers all the future gigs, thanks also to everyone on here for your kind words and comments.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ey up Mark

We were all really looking forward to having you as our guest at The Easter Sunday Orwell All Dayer and i must echo the sentiment from everyone on here and can fully appreciate what you have to do for the best.

Give us a call when you're back and we'll get you on at The Orwell ASAP

Take care

Steve

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark. Take it easy Mate. :thumbsup: You can take Mark out of Soul but you cant take the Soul out of Mark. See you when you get there.

Steve

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

==========

Hope things get sorted out Mark, the scene isn't everything, and certainly when compared to the family it's insignificant. As mentioned by others, when you get back nothing will have changed. Good luck!!

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Health and family take priority mate. I've always enjoyed welcoming you to the Plinston and will look forward to doing so in the future again- if just to get my latest idea for your trading card out there!!!! Take it easy mate and for F**k sakes look after yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The scene anit everything after all.

Social source share

Guest recordman

Hi Mark So sorry to hear about your situation and despite not knowing you personally may I say how much I wish you well for the future I have always enjoyed your sets at venues I have attended

Guys with the depth of knowledge & passion for the music that you have are few and far between In my opinion You are a top DJ with a reputation for quality and dont you ever forget that

For the record I am one of the promoters who will be affected by your decision However I fully understand your reasons why

I wish you well for the future and as Jackie Ross Would say "Keep Your Chin Up"

Social source share

Im Diabetic.......it runs in the family.......but i'm type 2......unlike my relatives who are type 1 (insulin injections) unfortunately ive got high chloresterol...which in combination is not good news....(also hypertension etc etc)....i smoke too much and drink too much.....i never thought id reach 55 ......but i have...ive been persuaded by concerned fellow soulies to make a will as theres certain 45 s they would like me to leave them and i dont look too well at times.....me and Dave Alcock used to laff and say they couldnt make a good one out of the pair of us......

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good Luck whistling.gif

Social source share

Hi Mark as a great fan and friend of yours I have to add to this thread that I understand your decision. I really want to share this with other Soul fans though, although I know it is going to embarrass you! I have enjoyed every venue I have been to that you have dj'd at.. your passion for the music has always stood out and equally, your skill as a true professional dj has marked you head and shoulders above many others in being able to read the floor, cater for all tastes, be entertaining, imformative etc etc, you will be missed Mark by so many,, your absolutely outstanding performance at the last Bury will remain with me forever, you made that venue come alive!! much love to a great mate

CLARE

ps i am sure that Rod would not agree with this but you know what a tosser he is!!

Social source share

Hi Mark as a great fan and friend of yours I have to add to this thread that I understand your decision. I really want to share this with other Soul fans though, although I know it is going to embarrass you! I have enjoyed every venue I have been to that you have dj'd at.. your passion for the music has always stood out and equally, your skill as a true professional dj has marked you head and shoulders above many others in being able to read the floor, cater for all tastes, be entertaining, imformative etc etc, you will be missed Mark by so many,, your absolutely outstanding performance at the last Bury will remain with me forever, you made that venue come alive!! much love to a great mate

CLARE

ps i am sure that Rod would not agree with this but you know what a tosser he is!!

Wow Clare, thanks for your kind comments, we will get together soon and will explain then in greater detail, never say never but for the time being i'm just sticking with my Solar radio show on Sunday nights, you and Rod are dear friends of ours even though he is a tosser but nice with it...lol thanks again.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

CLARE

the bloke on before Mark wasn't bad either :thumbsup:

Mick

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Mark

When I met you in 1984 you were a real Gentleman that has not changed for one moment in the years that have followed.

Your passion for this so called scene of ours has been undieing and I admire you for that ! As it has been a thankless task I am sure !

Your taste in music has always been wonderful in my oppinion. But what do I know !

The break I am sure will do you and yours the world of good !

Keep in touch my friend and when I am in your neck of the woods perhaps we could go out for a pint or three .

God Bless !

Gavin

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!