Detroit Dilemma!?

Guest Ferrett

Following on from the Patterson Twins/Bottom & Co. debate, I was wondering which of these three Detroit gems (with the same backing track) everyone preferred?

Tell me you're mine - Lorraine Chandler (RCA Victor)

Tell me you're mine - Four Sonics plus one (Sepia)

She won't come back - Hesitations (Kapp)

For me, it's gotta be Four Sonics plus one. A lot crisper production (possibly stereo?) and you can really hear Jack Ashford smacking hell out of that tambourine high up in the mix. This was always the cheapest of the three records about 10 years ago when you could pick it up for £10-15. Haven't seen it for some time now. I would guess £40-50 now???? By the way - who was the 'plus one'???

Also - Anyone got any idea which was the first recorded version?

Finally, talking of Lorraine Chandler, I am 99% certain that she is September Jones of 'I'm Coming Home' fame. I'm sure I remember reading an article saying she had confirmed the fact when she was last over (Great Yarmouth weekender - early 90's).

If they are indeed one and the same, I for one would love to hear her belting out 'I'm Coming Home' at next years Prestatyn Weekender. Can anyone help on this?

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

what about these tunes,with the same backing:

joan duvall-let me go-sport

abstract reality-love burns like a fire inside-sport

big mayabelle-let me go-port

Joan Dovalle - every time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just sold mine :-(

The big Maybelle has a variation on the backing used on the other two, and althought the

"Bung-bing-bing-beng-beng-bang-bang-bong-bung-bing-bing-beng-beng-bang-bang-bong

Somebody tell that man tooooo let me go-o-o-oh

He's got my soul but he still wants mo-wo-wore..."

is the same, the backing is completely different. Fantastic sound though!

Social source share

Think dave rimmer should be able to help on the september jones/lorraine chandler debate as I'm pretty certain the article was in an early issue of SKM from around that time I may be wrong but seem to remember her saying she had never recorded I'm coming home,over to you mr rimmer

regards Mick

Social source share

Lorraine Chandler by a country mile - and although i've never taken to donning the old anorak, I think Loz was the plus one to the Four Sonic's.

However, got a big soft spot for the other side of the Hesitations thing 'Ill be right there' - again, you just can't fault them Pied Piper folk can you, but we all new that anyway.

cheers

Scotty

Social source share

How about Four Voices vs. Chuck Holiday. Same track

different vocals/lyrics. Four Voices are better singers no

doubt, but my guess is that some will prefer ol' Chuck.

At least Soul Sam will ;-)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ferrett

I prefer LC. Probably as it was the first version I knew and loved. I have it and the Four Sonics Plus One. No idea who the plus one is.

Social source share

How about Four Voices vs. Chuck Holiday. Same track

different vocals/lyrics. Four Voices are better singers no

doubt, but my guess is that some will prefer ol' Chuck.

At least Soul Sam will ;-)

The Four Voices are far superior vocalists, and there is four of them, male groups rule. Four Voices "With A Lonely Heart" is superior to "I Still Love You" on the flip as well, but still Chuck Holiday has a lot going for it (I like it anyway), and since most people are more used to The Four Voices, it also has some novelty appeal since it is different. Both great 45's. I do not have the 45 so I can check but I have always thought when I heard it out and on tape that the sound on Chuck Holiday is somewhat muffled, is this so, or have I just been unlucky every time I heard it?

Social source share

My guess is that they are worth about the same these days.

Seen some copies of Chuck for sale the last couple of years.

And originals of Four Voices are still pretty hard. Both around

the £1000 mark maybe?

Find it interesting that Four Voices producer Popcorn

W. knows nothing about the Chuck Holiday release. Hehe...

The guy just stole the backing tracks or something :-0

...and recorded new vocals! Some folks got some nerves, ehh!?

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

DEFINATELY the 4 Voices for me by a country mile - then again, I'm a sucker for group harmonies so that probably accounts for my answer. Probably the same reason why I prefer the Four Sonics plus one over the Lorraine Chander version of 'Tell me you're mine' too!!

Anyone else got an opinion on whether September Jones is actually Lorraine Chandler???

If nobody answers, I'm gonna have to start rummaging around for my 1991 Soulful Kinda Music's and that could take hours/days/weeks!!!

If I remember right, someone had done a tape for an early issue of SKM and was reviewing the tracks on it. (although I've killed MANY brain cells since then so I could be wrong!!)

On the tape was a Lorraine Chandler track (possibly I can't hold on) and also the September Jones track (which was fairly underplayed at the time). The author of the article went on to compare the two vocally and then said that they had confirmed with Lorraine at the Great Yarmouth Weekender that she HAD recorded 'I'm coming home'.

Certainly sounds like Lorraine.

Sorry to bang on about this but I NEED to know.

Keep Ferretting!!

Social source share

I think Chuck Holiday is potentially more expensive than The Four Voices. Four Voices around £1000, give or take £200, Chuck Holiday £1000 - £2000. I met an english guy who said he found a box of Chuck Holidays and sold them all cheap to mates many years ago. He seemed very genuine to me, and others I have spoken to said he was for real. I have been told that The Four Voices "was around" back in the day as well, so which one is the rarest I don't know. I am sure some oldtimer could tell us more though.

Social source share

I think Chuck Holiday is potentially more expensive than The Four Voices. Four Voices around £1000, give or take £200, Chuck Holiday £1000 - £2000. I met an english guy who said he found a box of Chuck Holidays and sold them all cheap to mates many years ago. He seemed very genuine to me, and others I have spoken to said he was for real. I have been told that The Four Voices "was around" back in the day as well, so which one is the rarest I don't know. I am sure some oldtimer could tell us more though.

I think some guy in the Netherlands actually found some copies

a couple of years ago. Or so I've heard. Could be wrong of course.

I've been offered the record on a couple of occasions @ £1000 and

£1200.

Social source share

Great Topic - Just love those Detroit tunes.

Hesitations for me although they are all great.

Think i prefer the Four Voices although when i was collecting, ( 10-15 years ago ) because i could'nt get a Chuck Holiday i did won't one more.

Another Four Voices 45 i own ' Summer Kind Of Love ' - What does this fetch now ?

Another Detroit Dilemma

The Platters ' I Can't Get Used To Sharing You ' Lp track

or The Stepstones ' Lonely One '

Has to be The Platters for me.

John.

Social source share

First up The Hesitations for me at least, head and shoulders above the rest, still i'm a group kind of guy, all are superb but The Hesitations have my vote...and what an album it comes from too, very possibly one of the greatest L.P's ever recorded.

Re Chuck Holiday i had this record way back and think i had it stolen many moons ago from my flat in North Wales or i sold it very cheap...lol but again Four Voices have my vote.

Another gem of a song with Two Versions well three if you count the dreadful Brand New Faces version is of course "I Really Love You" - Jimmy Burns (Erica )

and Bobby James AKA Robert Newsome ( Karol ) Bobby wrote it and recorded it first but Jimmy for me wins hands down, recording possibly one of the great Chicago Northern Soul anthems, both stonking rare records, had both still got the Jimmy Burns.

There are many tunes that have been cut by two or more artists, Howard Guyton/Lou Courtney "I Watched You Slowly Slip Away" i bet Lou Courtney left town when he heard Howard's superior version, Frankie And The Classical's/ Laura Green plus several other versions slight difference here with this example same backing different lyrics i know but you take my point, Luther Ingram/Douglas Gibson/The Harrison Brothers " Run For Your Life", Yum - Yums/Sapphires - "Gonna Be A Big Thing" and perhaps the best example of two versions of a classic tune has to be Gene Woodbury/Bernie Williams "Ever Again" I always say Bernie Williams for show as it's still shit rare and Gene Woodbury can sing and in my opinion has the edge.

Another good title which springs to mind is "Stubborn Heart" Ernest Mosley/The Sheppards again a big difference in current value but for me The Sheppards have it just.

I'm sure there are many more tracks but don't try and get my vote on Doris Troy/Tony Blckburn please.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!