The Path A "rare" Record Takes

steve z

To become rare .Oh and sought after 'cos its brill.Maybe only 50 made :unsure: Maybe poor pressings :D Maybe local group pressed 5 :D Off centre :D ..........Never the the less some rare tunes had FULL orchestration :D Please let me have your views oh and MR Lucky ......its not really rare :D:D

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not sure if im reading this right but hears an answer.

I think RARE and "Hard to find" can get a bit confused at times....as weve seen quite a few times over the years A rare record can suddenly appear in swarms..... when the price is right.

But we also hear the groans "Its only rare coz it was shite in the first place" that may be the truth for a few but There was also some great tunes done on a shoe string and £ notes didnt pemit, advertising distribution and in some cases large presses.

Look at the limelights on uncle i love that but...rocking horse shit comes to mind for rarity.

I once read an article..think it was on soulful detroit about ....i think it was Patti Youngs head an shoulders...an entire pressing run was Sledge hammered coz it wasnt deemed fit enough for national release...could that have happened to other tunes because although good didnt fit the mood of the time??

As for numbers what constitutes rare .....god knows.... to me for the amount of people collecting worldwide now, 100 would be rare... 50 impossible...5.... for gods sake theres never just 5, there hiding in peoples houses ready for the price to hike :unsure: (dont anyone print frank wilson)

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Speaking to former Dowop recording artist, who now owns a record shop, from what he tells me, groups where pulled from the streets to record, they were each handed a 25 box to promote their single, the guys used to send home to family members to try and sell, this is how you get some obscure Detroit or New York 45 found way out from there original recording location. It was pressed up in quantities of 100-500 for an initial press and if bombed that was it, record was either dumped or sold off cheap to recover up front costs, on to the next one. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
when did dowap end and soul start?
Do-wop/Soul one and the same from about 58-64, you could debate it to the cows come home, the Temptations were a dowop group, we could on and on, Prentiss Anderson of Lee & The Leopards told me the same thing, now is that a Motown/Do-wop/Soul thing, actually he called it pop music so we could have another debate. whistling.gif
Social source share

.Never the the less some rare tunes had FULL orchestration

Perhaps the truth is that in the sixties there wasn't a recording studio on every corner where a few aspiring singers could pay $50 to pump their hearts out on a flop.

How many Detroit labels are there, and how many recording studios were there, I'd be interested to know.(The early Motown stuff was cut on four track which were expensive machinery at the time, let alone the 12 track which many of the 'hits' were recorded on 64-66; at 2648 West Grand Boulevard, it was second hand with a dodgy track 11 that accounts for that unique bass sound).

Big studios (RCA etc) paid the musicians for a days work, and 'down time' cost them money, so every day's session was utilised to the full, whether it was Elvis or Little Peggy March in front of the microphone - same string section.

Hi Simon records released on the MODO label...full of character but all of them sound as though they were recorded in a back street garage.....with the same "gang" of musicians.Possibly recorded all on the same day?ATB Steve
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!