Otis Brown -Southside Chicago

Lydia O'conner-nobody wants you

Inverts -Time will change

Robert Tanner-sweet memories

Plus 3 cover ups too!

:unsure:

Social source share

WHAT DO THEY PLAY?
Hi Mandy A BiG name DJ plays lots of tunes that everyone knows Other than BIG name djs who know about and own tunes

yep, lost me as well....

the only thing i can think is are you saying, if you book a big name DJ, is he going to play stuff only that other DJ''s will know? in which case, if you are a big name DJ, you will know where you are going, know what the crowd will want to here and alter your playbox accordingly. i have seen plenty of big name DJ's who have done that and gain my respect for doing it. on the flipside i have seen plenty of notBig name DJ's who play what they want to, irrespective of the crowd/venue and flop. if thats not what you're talking about, i have got me coat...

Social source share

:unsure: IN M

big name dj's have bigger reps to lose....lesser known dj's have more freedom ..in my opinion...well i do anyway

Davie

I'me not anything to do with this fabulous response :D IMVHO but the second set are part of my plays...............Hopeless I know Take care Soulies Stevie z
Social source share

cheers abbott man. you may have saved this thread. :D

steve you are banned after the watershed :D only joking mate.

steve, i have asked before but can you try a bit harder to ensure you are understood. you have a wealth of knowledge which is more than welcome on this site. problem is that no one understands you after 9pm :unsure::D

sorry if i sound like a jumped up tit. gotta job to do thats all :D

Shane

Social source share

Davie, still no excuse, either way

=============

Aren't you the least bit interested in what the original question meant though? What it looks like to me is someone loading a gun, and then sitting back whilst it gets fired. I'd like to know just what Steve Z's thoughts are, on his own question.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

steve, i have asked before but can you try a bit harder to ensure you are understood. you have a wealth of knowledge which is more than welcome on this site. problem is that no one understands you after 9pm :thumbsup::P

Shane

Like I said Shane, he's been at the sherry again :thumbsup: bless him

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Posted by Tony Jackson on Mon Jul 18 21:32

Kenny Burrells Play-List...

1. NURONS (Nu-Ron) All of my life

2. CHICO LAMARR (Fuller) What do you think I am

3. ELAINE JONES (Angel-town) Your friends

4. SPRINGERS (Wale) Nothings too good for my baby

5. JIMMY ELLEGE (Sound Town) Sad Town

6. WARD BURTON (Panther) Sweet temptation

7. TY KARIM (Romark) You just dont know

8. ANTELLECS (Flodaviour) Love slave

9. ESTER GRANT (Wilstone) Lets make the most out of love

10 BOBBY RICH (Sambea) There's a girl somewhere

11 COCO & BEN (Earth World) Good feelin'

12 SATIN (Good) Give all your love to me

13 DREAMETTES (Dreammaker) Thats not love

14 DAVID GAGE (Hawk) Can I depend on you

15 MARLYN BARBARIN (Nola) Just a teenager

16 SHADDOWS (United Audio) Together again

17 MELLO SOULS (Mello) We can make it

18 PEGGY BYRES (Virtue Acetate) World of Happiness

19 JIMMY GRESHAM (Teri-De) Put it out of your mind

20 GERRI SHIVERS (Pat) Lets try it again

21 LYNN TERRY (La Salle) I got a good thing going

22 CODY BLACK (Gig) It's our time to fall in love

23 JOAN DOVALLE (Hot) Holiday

24 JIMMY DELPHS (Carla) Dancing a hole in the world

25 SWEETS (Soultown) Something about my baby

Also from another top jock;

Wayne Boling-Girl I'd like to dance with you

Bobby Guy-Good enough

Wane harrell-Lonely boy

Herman Lewis-Who's kissing you tonite

Karmello Brooks-tell me

Don Hysong-Soul searcher

George Smith-Pretty little girl

Sound masters-Lonely lonely

Tommy Ridgley-My love keeps getting stronger

Bobby Mac-shy guy

Mal Adams-Since man began

Jimmy Philips-she belongs to me

Oberia Martinez-Think it over

Linda & Pretenders-Believe me

Overtones-What would I do

Sammie Campbell-Listen to my radio

Connie van Dyke-Don't do nothing

Shirley Edwards-Dream my heart

Five Chances-I'll miss you

Andy Fisher-Hearts beating stronger

Sir Ceaser-Show me the time

Louis Paul-The change will do you good

Otis Brown -Southside Chicago

Lydia O'conner-nobody wants you

Inverts -Time will change

Robert Tanner-sweet memories

Plus 3 cover ups too!

:thumbsup:

What's the point of bringing Kenny along to your venue unless you want him to play a set like above, surely the point of booking him is exactly that. If you want a DJ to play a safe set no point in booking someone with rare or different type of set. If you want safe book safe, if you want rare book rare, some DJ's fit both sets, promoters should know venue and crowd so book the DJ accordingly. :thumbsup:
Social source share

What's the point of bringing Kenny along to your venue unless you want him to play a set like above, surely the point of booking him is exactly that. If you want a DJ to play a safe set no point in booking someone with rare or different type of set. If you want safe book safe, if you want rare book rare, some DJ's fit both sets, promoters should know venue and crowd so book the DJ accordingly. :thumbsup:

Second set is steve z.

Balance. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I really enjoy listening to a Big name when they have the freedom to play what they want to play. Quiet often Big names get booked at local soul events for one reason or another and end up playing to the local crowd, i'e party time man, etc' . Think promoters often use Big names to get people through the door, not always to get them to play their Big sounds........

Social source share

=============

Aren't you the least bit interested in what the original question meant though? What it looks like to me is someone loading a gun, and then sitting back whilst it gets fired. I'd like to know just what Steve Z's thoughts are, on his own question.

Hi Winnie....I suppose when I post a thread I try and leave the point(s) as "open" as possible.

Some of my views on Name DJs have been voiced here........as John has stated names can be brought in for a number of reasons........... :thumbsup: Perhaps I should have posted the thread with reference to Venues :thumbsup:

I believe that this analogy may be appropriate.I ventured to Bury Town Hall with my mate John Mills some time ago.Mick H played his set in the main room....I knew every record he played.However the purpose of our visit was to listen to his other spot in the upstairs room for lesser known items.....Brill :P So perhaps name DJs are not given opportunity or perhaps some do not seek it :D ATB Steve

Edited by steve z
Social source share

steve, i have asked before but can you try a bit harder to ensure you are understood. you have a wealth of knowledge which is more than welcome on this site. problem is that no one understands you after 9pm :thumbsup::P

Shane

Hi Shane ,I do like to leave some posts totally open.........and there have been great open replies :thumbsup::D IMO ATB Steve
Social source share

yep, lost me as well....

the only thing i can think is are you saying, if you book a big name DJ, is he going to play stuff only that other DJ''s will know? in which case, if you are a big name DJ, you will know where you are going, know what the crowd will want to here and alter your playbox accordingly. i have seen plenty of big name DJ's who have done that and gain my respect for doing it. on the flipside i have seen plenty of notBig name DJ's who play what they want to, irrespective of the crowd/venue and flop. if thats not what you're talking about, i have got me coat...

Hi Dave, thenks for your input on the thread. :thumbsup: Your point ,as I see ,is that the people who attend the venue where said name is DJing, expect to know all the records played :thumbsup: ATB Steve
Social source share

Hi Winnie....I suppose when I post a thread I try and leave the point(s) as "open" as possible.

Some of my views on Name DJs have been voiced here........as John has stated names can be brought in for a number of reasons........... :thumbsup: Perhaps I should have posted the thread with reference to Venues :P

I believe that this analogy may be appropriate.I ventured to Bury Town Hall with my mate John Mills some time ago.Mick H played his set in the main room....I knew every record he played.However the purpose of our visit was to listen to his other spot in the upstairs room for lesser known items.....Brill :D So perhaps name DJs are not given opportunity or perhaps some do not seek it :D ATB Steve

===========

Thanks for replying Steve, now I understand where you were coming from :thumbsup: Do you not think though, if a person is aware who a big name DJ is, generally they also know that they have rarities as well.

Social source share

===========

Thanks for replying Steve, now I understand where you were coming from :thumbsup: Do you not think though, if a person is aware who a big name DJ is, generally they also know that they have rarities as well.

Hi Winnie.I am not sure about "person(s)" knowing that said DJ has rarities /lesser known/played items within their collection as it may well be the case that they may only want to listen to a traditional spot from the DJ........and go home happy :thumbsup: ATB Steve
Social source share

Hi Winnie.I am not sure about "person(s)" knowing that said DJ has rarities /lesser known/played items within their collection as it may well be the case that they may only want to listen to a traditional spot from the DJ........and go home happy :thumbsup: ATB Steve

==========

I can understand anybody wanting to go home happy from a soul night, it's the whole point for me, but not to know for instance that Mick has Margaret Little (I take it he does still have it) seems a little off the wall to me. Am I correct in thinking you're more referring to soulies who don't go out week after week, and what they enjoy musically? In which case they may not be worried if it's Mick playing or anybody else for that matter, as their priority would be enjoyment (Nothing wrong with that IMO by the way)

Winnie;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!