• Replies 35
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-4107-1138437657_thumb.jpg

Of our tunes(still before the watershed)........Sherry to follow unsure.gif:lol: The team at KAPP records take some beating IMO.....ATB Steve

I think Miles Grayson, who produced I aint got time....Love in my heart on OM Records by The Oracles. After speaking to him he did'nt remember producing the record, as he was producing 6 to 10 records a day. Photo above.

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

Being a softie for southern soul - Rick Hall / Dan Spence / Spooner Oldham / along with Wexler / Quin Ivy / Buddy Killen .

For a truly stunning and evocative account of these days plus masses of soul info - an essential read is ' Say It One More Time For The Broken Hearted ' by Barney Hoskyns . You'll read it in one sitting I guarentee!

ATB

Rich unsure.gif

https://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Search...0&tn=broken&x=0

Social source share

Being a bit of a thicko myself, can you tell me a little more about the Pied Piper Team?

Thanks Col.

Pied Piper Productions/GWP was made up of Joe E.Hunter (musical director), producers Jack Ashford and Lorraine Chandler (also known as the writer E. Lewis) and arranger Andrew (Mike) Terry who needs no introduction for most of us.

A good starting point, listen to the Hesitations LP Soul Superman and everything will become clear Col :lol:

Social source share

post-4107-1138437657_thumb.jpg

I think Miles Grayson, who produced I aint got time....Love in my heart on OM Records by The Oracles. After speaking to him he did'nt remember producing the record, as he was producing 6 to 10 records a day. Photo above.

Here's another picture of Miles Grayson in the centr. post-4107-1138453888_thumb.jpg

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

Pied Piper Productions/GWP was made up of Joe E.Hunter (musical director), producers Jack Ashford and Lorraine Chandler (also known as the writer E. Lewis) and arranger Andrew (Mike) Terry who needs no introduction for most of us.

A good starting point, listen to the Hesitations LP Soul Superman and everything will become clear Col :lol:

Many thanks.

Social source share

Hi Chalky, another guy worthy of mention H.B.Barnum..he arranged for.......Etta James,Gladys Knight, Martha Reeves,Lamont Dozier,Nancy Wilson amongst many others.......Oh and FRANK sinatra too :P:P Stevie

Social source share

Hi Chalky, another guy worthy of mention H.B.Barnum..he arranged for.......Etta James,Gladys Knight, Martha Reeves,Lamont Dozier,Nancy Wilson amongst many others.......Oh and FRANK sinatra too :lol::P Stevie

Good choice Stevie. I've some photos of him from Yarmouth late 80's early 90's somewhere, will find them and scan one or two tomorrow.

Think this is him 1990 @ Yarmouth. Some more somewhere but this only one on the PC...

post-225-1138459126_thumb.jpg

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Gooi choice Stevie. I've some photos of him from Yarmouth late 80's early 90's somewhere, will find them and scan one or two tomorrow.

Hi Chalky,look forward to looking at them.Got quite a few smaller label singles with H.B.Barnum on the credits.ATb Stevie

Social source share

It should be noted that producers Gamble and Huff owe a huge debt to arrangers such as Bobby Martin & Tommy Bell ..plus all the musicians (Baker, Harris, Young etc) and engineers (Joe Tarsia etc)

Many other Philly area tracks would have been nothing without the skills of arrangers such as Jimmy Wisner and Joe Renzetti.

Most productions were big team efforts.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

One of the best Harthon productions IMO..... :thumbsup:

Harthon relied heavily on the arrangements of Luther Randolph and (sometimes) Tommy Bell.

Paul Mooney

Clive Davis

Clive Davis? ...some mistake, surely???

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Arrangers...

Mike Terry, Tommy Bell, Bobby Martin, Luther Randolph, Jimmy Wisner, Joe Renzetti, James Carmichael, Sonny Sanders, Tom Tom Washington, Gene Page, Van McCoy, Richard Tee, Horace Ott, Bert Keyes, Robert Banks, Paul Griffin, Tony Camillo, Ed Bland, Paul Riser, Dale Warren,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Arrangers...

Mike Terry, Tommy Bell, Bobby Martin, Luther Randolph, Jimmy Wisner, Joe Renzetti, James Carmichael, Sonny Sanders, Tom Tom Washington, Gene Page, Van McCoy, Richard Tee, Horace Ott, Bert Keyes, Robert Banks, Paul Griffin, Tony Camillo, Ed Bland, Paul Riser, Dale Warren,

Paul Mooney

Many thanks for your input Paul I posted this thread .hoping to expand my meagre knowledge and its been expanded.....ATB Stevie
Social source share

Arrangers...

Paul Mooney

And Dexter Wansell surely?

Ditto for your earlier G+H post

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!