My Favourite Quotes About Music - Please Add Yours

Damn I wish I had the talent to write summat like this:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson

I will be adding more quotes as time and inclination pemits.

I'll also be asking for help in clarifying some quotes - all I've got is a vague jumble of words in the wrong order.

In the meantime please add yours.

derek x

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Damn I wish I had the talent to write summat like this:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson

I will be adding more quotes as time and inclination pemits.

I'll also be asking for help in clarifying some quotes - all I've got is a vague jumble of words in the wrong order.

In the meantime please add yours.

derek x

Quality DP ha ha ha love it!!!

Can't think of any at this un-godly hour, but will get back to you when I do

Ali x

Social source share

dont know where your going with this thread derek... do you mean quotes from artists or quotes from charactures on the scene..

if the latter... how about... "i dont mind piss and shit , but i cant stand filth" BRUN (wakefield.. at bradford nighter circa.. mid 90's)

Edited by trev thomas
Social source share

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'

Bob Newhart

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

. I never dance to anything that's not OVO ........ Norman Soultrousers at Kings Hall Niter.

bet he don,t do much dancing there then :thumbsup::D

Social source share

And the night shall be filled with music,

And the cares that infest the day

Shall fold their tents like the Arabs

And as silently steal away.

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Day Is Done

Social source share

Music...is like oxygen...i need to breathe ...smell...luxirate in all of its glory...good or bad...i need to hear it....without it...i cant breathe....soul music....to me is essential to my being.....without it...i dont feel....i dont see....it walks with me ....side by side...every step.....its is there....i hear a forgone tune....it propels me back into that corridor of Past Times..where those whose roles was prominent for that scene of time are there..those who have passed...are there once more..and then that memory....from the head to the heart...ending with that tear down the cheek....allows ya to be there once again...feelling seeing....being....loving... :) Yep..that that is what music means to me...Delxxxxxx

Social source share

Dennis Pennis: [to Mick Hucknall] How do you describe your voice? Is it rock or is pop? Cos I hear you and I think you are soul. You are-soul!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I used to manage a mens footy team and a few years ago a couple of my players who were in their twenties tagged along to a soul do in Denton.

On picking up a flyer that proclaimed an 'Oldies night' one of them remarked " you mean to tell me that there is another soul do somewhere with people older than this lot"!!!!!!! :lol:

Drew. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I used to work in a scrap yard run by a real old skool nutter called Vic Brewen the hardest man i ever met .i used to talk about music and he never seemed intrested in talking about it one day i said Vic what sort of music do you like ? He said "Simon I don't like music or Dolphins or anything else that's crap" Regards David Niven.

Social source share

BBC4's excellent The Joy Of The Single, was a programme full of quotable material.

From it, here's a couple of vinyl related quotes which I hope I've scribbled down and attributed correctly:

" I even like the scratchiness of a 45 when you put it on..... it's like foreplay....you know something good is gonna come ! " - Suzi Quatro

" CD's ....they're a little bit insipid ....they're all shine and no substance " - Norman Cooke

followed by a demonstration of how to handle vinyl, which included ...

" This bit is sacred...the grooves are sacred " - Norman Cooke

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

I always liked this one by minimalist composer Robert Wyatt

"First of all, I am a real Minimalist, because I don't do very much. I know some minimalists who call themselves minimalist but they do loads of minimalism. That is cheating. I really don't do very much."

- Robert Wyatt

:D

Surely a minimalist's response would have been....

"I Minimalist"

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Not exactly a quote but always makes me laugh.

At a recording of Ready, Steady, Go in 1964 Mick Jagger asked Dave Godin to introduce him to Marvin Gaye.

Godin - "I told him to f*ck off and introduce himself" :rofl:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!