Soul Time; Shirley Or Madeline?

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

Shirley Ellis' version is crisper with better production, but Madeline Bell's version seems more urgent, more gutsy, i'm leaning towards it...

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Matt Male said:
Shirley Ellis' version is crisper with better production, but Madeline Bell's version seems more urgent, more gutsy, i'm leaning towards it...

Another one?,  Vis ta vie";Nicoletta;

accompagne par Jean Bouchety et son orchestre.

unsure.gif

Social source share

Madeline Bell's version I prefer, but I'm bias as Dusty and Kiki Dee sung on that record.. I'm fans of both.

Think you're right in saying the Bell version has more guts.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

i might be wrong but i seem to remember the "come on and dance now" being a soussan thing of dubious origin rom the late 70,s
Yep,tailor made,try and sell one :lol: ,£3 me last one.
Social source share

Shirley's is the classic version we all know but i think Madeline's version has more guts as Matt & John point out. Imagine hearing them both for the 1st time, gotta go for Madeline's.

Going slightly off topic i know but is anyone familiar with Madeline Bell's version of Jimmy James's Help Yourself that she recorded on Philips?

Absoulety brilliant version IMO & i cant believe that it don't get played out.

Just wish i knew how to post soundclips up but i'm sure someone out there could put it up, you got it Kenny?

Social source share

Shirley's is the classic version we all know but i think Madeline's version has more guts as Matt & John point out. Imagine hearing them both for the 1st time, gotta go for Madeline's.

Going slightly off topic i know but is anyone familiar with Madeline Bell's version of Jimmy James's Help Yourself that she recorded on Philips?

Absoulety brilliant version IMO & i cant believe that it don't get played out.

Just wish i knew how to post soundclips up but i'm sure someone out there could put it up, you got it Kenny?

Somewere?.... :P post you it if i see it......again :P what about Nicoletta?,love to have the backing track,best backing singers.. :lol: Edited by ken
Social source share

I adore Madeline . It's got a certain sexiness that Shirley is too clean for.

Don't think it ever made it on a USA 45? ...but it definitely did in a certain other foreign country :yes:

m

Welcome to an exclusive club Maria, only 3 members up to now, you, me & John Manship! Pretty cool eh.

Seriously though, still waiting for the soundclip of Madeline's version of Help Yourself. Anyone got one to post up?

Social source share

Yep,tailor made,try and sell one :yes: ,£3 me last one.

Ref: Helena Ferguson I checked our database, we've had two in the last 5 years both sold for £40 each. I think it's pretty rare, and was not aware of a Soussan involvement... I think I've found copies USA side before. More info would be greatly appreciated.. not got one in stock at the 'mo to check the pressing I.D.

Social source share

I got the Helena ferguson one on a cheepo CD from Tescos about 8 years ago. It had on it the dodgy Soussan Thumb A Ride, Pappa OO Mow Mow, Vocal to Rhino. Also Run Baby Run The Hotshots?, Lookin' For You Garnett & the Somebodies?. Apart from that I bought it for some tracks I didn't have on CD at the Time, Holidays,"Makin' Up Time", Tommy Neal "Happening" Darrell Banks"Somebody Somewhere". The CD was Leased from Golmine. The Helena Ferguson is Titled "Soul time" and it just says Copyright controlled. Oh and from memory there is also "Hit & Run" by Gwen Owens? another Soussan ism?.

A strange mixture of tailor mades & a couple of legit ones thrown in.

Paul

Social source share

Ref: Helena Ferguson I checked our database, we've had two in the last 5 years both sold for £40 each. I think it's pretty rare, and was not aware of a Soussan involvement... I think I've found copies USA side before. More info would be greatly appreciated.. not got one in stock at the 'mo to check the pressing I.D.
Still got one huh.gif £30 anybody :shades:

Pressed or issued in the US,by mr Soussan......millions of em` over here wub.gif

Social source share

run out groove just has MT-200-A scratched into it.

Same track both sides. only other info I have is what you see on the scan I posted earlier.

Helena sounds a bit dodgy in the drum department to me. And that typeface is familiar from something else too. I like both Shirley and Maddy versions of "Soul Time" but if I had to choose it would have to be Shirl because I have a real soft spot for her voice. Plus Madelaine's voice always makes me want a bowl of cornflakes. However, in the department of extreme cool Ms Bell is hard to beat, especially in this early leather-clad-kitten-with-whip-at-The Gateway look, taken from the ever fantastic "Spectropop".

post-1354-1138644042_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Shirley Ellis for me every time ! All round better production. The Madeline Bell version always sounds like a vocal performance added later to an intrumental to me, personaly.

The obvious next thread has to be EVIE or MADELINE ?? Again i always prefer the Evie Sands version, sounds more quintessential 60's .

By the way could anyone tell me ? , is a demo copy of Madeline Bell's version worth, much or any, more than the stock copy ?

"Picture Me Gone", that is

Edited by B-side-B
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!