The Persians Let's Get Married

slimharpo

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

are they the same persians as are on gwp does anyone know?

some info on the GWP group......

Like Rodney Dangerfield as Baltimore/D.C. area groups go, the Persians got no respect, despite cutting seven singles on ABC-Paramount, GWP, GWP Grapevine, and Capitol Records. They were a soulful quintet from Baltimore similar to the Persuaders ("Thin Line Between Love and Hate"), who dressed up their rather mundane stage outfits with smarmy turbans. The members were James Ellis (first tenor), Leroy Priester (baritone), Freddie Lewis (bass), James Harlee (baritone), and Jim Brown (second tenor); Louis Crawley replaced Brown in 1971. None of their releases to date have surfaced on compilation CDs, nor has there been an entire CD of the Persians' tracks.

"Too Much Pride," their debut on ABC Paramount, released in the summer of 1968, is their most memorable recording. They toured the DJ circuit, doing little television shows at odd hours to promote the record. Turbans (usually the only piece of clothing they wore that matched) and hard passionate singing were the group's trademarks. A second ABC single in 1968, "I Only Have Eyes for You," a remake of the standard defined by the Flamingoes, flopped. The summer of 1969 found them on GWP Records for "Here It Comes" b/w "I Don't Know How." In early 1970, they cut a single on GWP Grapevine entitled "I Can't Take It Anymore" b/w "Detour"; both GWP recordings were abject failures. One last shot on Capitol Records from 1971-1972 certainly wasn't the charm. Three singles -- "Your Love" b/w "Keep On Moving," "I Want to Go Home" b/w "Baby Come Back Home," and "I Won't Cry for You Anymore" b/w "Give Me a Little Time" -- found no takers, and the Persians put the sleek Turban head adornments away for good.

Social source share

some info on the GWP group......

Like Rodney Dangerfield as Baltimore/D.C. area groups go, the Persians got no respect, despite cutting seven singles on ABC-Paramount, GWP, GWP Grapevine, and Capitol Records. They were a soulful quintet from Baltimore similar to the Persuaders ("Thin Line Between Love and Hate"), who dressed up their rather mundane stage outfits with smarmy turbans. The members were James Ellis (first tenor), Leroy Priester (baritone), Freddie Lewis (bass), James Harlee (baritone), and Jim Brown (second tenor); Louis Crawley replaced Brown in 1971. None of their releases to date have surfaced on compilation CDs, nor has there been an entire CD of the Persians' tracks.

"Too Much Pride," their debut on ABC Paramount, released in the summer of 1968, is their most memorable recording. They toured the DJ circuit, doing little television shows at odd hours to promote the record. Turbans (usually the only piece of clothing they wore that matched) and hard passionate singing were the group's trademarks. A second ABC single in 1968, "I Only Have Eyes for You," a remake of the standard defined by the Flamingoes, flopped. The summer of 1969 found them on GWP Records for "Here It Comes" b/w "I Don't Know How." In early 1970, they cut a single on GWP Grapevine entitled "I Can't Take It Anymore" b/w "Detour"; both GWP recordings were abject failures. One last shot on Capitol Records from 1971-1972 certainly wasn't the charm. Three singles -- "Your Love" b/w "Keep On Moving," "I Want to Go Home" b/w "Baby Come Back Home," and "I Won't Cry for You Anymore" b/w "Give Me a Little Time" -- found no takers, and the Persians put the sleek Turban head adornments away for good.

thanks chalky

without checking through, i also have the persians on gwp doing 'i don't know how to fall out of love with you' which is quite nice (this is from memory though)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!