Gene Mcfadden R.i.p

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Philly soulman Gene McFadden, 56

PHILADELPHIA -- R&B vocalist and songwriter Gene McFadden, best known for singing and co-writing the 1979 smash "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now," died Friday at home after a battle with cancer, his family said. He was 56. McFadden and John Whitehead formed the Epsilons in their youth and toured with Otis Redding in the 1960s. They became a prominent song writing and performing duo at Philadelphia International Records, the soul music powerhouse. "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" hit No. 1 on the R&B chart and No. 13 on the pop charts. The duo also wrote several hits performed by others, including "Back Stabbers" for the O'Jays and "Wake Up Everybody" for Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. Whitehead was fatally shot in May.

Such a sad loss!

Repect and R.I.P

Dr Bob Jones :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Ain't No Stopping Us Now" is one of the defining moments of my youth, positive, uplifting commercial Soul/dance music before it all got pulled down into a mire of electronics, hystronics and the emphisis of beats over quality. The songs message was a direct non nonsense link to the definative Soul of the sixties without falling into cliche. Nothing even approaches the quality of that recording today. Add to that the absoulte classic songs they wrote for other acts, and you have two phenomenal talents. And the fact that these songs were hits just goes to prove how they trancended genres - they were hits because they were GREAT !

McFadden And Whitehead's appearance on Top Of The Pops when "Ain't No...." was a chart hit gave me goosebumps because there they were, two guys in classic soul pose, with roaring soul voices giving it there all on prime time television bucking the norm and giving people a taste of quality, something with meaning and a depth and not cynical gutless garbage. It still replays in my head today.

R.I.P. Gene McFadden.

Social source share

I was listening to Melba Moore - Standing Right Here just the other day & did'nt realise that it was written & produced by McFadden & Whitehead, this must rate as one of the greatest 70's tunes ever made..............

R.I.P Gene McFadden

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Was also part of my younger day's music. Gene McFadden R.I.P.

"Ain't no stopping us now"

Remember first hearing this at a jazz funk dayer at Blackpool Mecca, nearly lifted the roof off the place. "Heard it in a love song" also got a lot of plays at the time...

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

"Ain't No Stopping Us Now" is one of the defining moments of my youth, positive, uplifting commercial Soul/dance music before it all got pulled down into a mire of electronics, hystronics and the emphisis of beats over quality. The songs message was a direct non nonsense link to the definative Soul of the sixties without falling into cliche. Nothing even approaches the quality of that recording today. Add to that the absoulte classic songs they wrote for other acts, and you have two phenomenal talents. And the fact that these songs were hits just goes to prove how they trancended genres - they were hits because they were GREAT !

McFadden And Whitehead's appearance on Top Of The Pops when "Ain't No...." was a chart hit gave me goosebumps because there they were, two guys in classic soul pose, with roaring soul voices giving it there all on prime time television bucking the norm and giving people a taste of quality, something with meaning and a depth and not cynical gutless garbage. It still replays in my head today.

R.I.P. Gene McFadden.

Brilliant ...... simply put & say`s it all :lol: , hats off to you Simon.

Garv.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert