What Is Your Experience Of Recorded Delivery In Uk

Stevie

Every time I receive a recorded item it just gets pushed through the letterbox. No knock at the door, no request for signature. The postman is a good guy and I get on well with him. When I asked him he said they don't bother with a signature these days.

Is this everyone else's experience?

PS I should add that we have about three different posties who sometimes alternate and they all do it the same.

Social source share

Our recorded/registered post never gets delivered.Card thro` the door notification.

Always have to get the photo i.d. and get to the depot.

A pain in the a**e-but it is how the system is supposed to work,I suppose.

Do you mean they don't even attempt to deliver it?

That needs to be reported.

Social source share

Every time I receive a recorded item it just gets pushed through the letterbox. No knock at the door, no request for signature. The postman is a good guy and I get on well with him. When I asked him he said they don't bother with a signature these days.

PS I should add that we have about three different posties who sometimes alternate and they all do it the same.

I mean thats very poor because the sender is actually paying for a 'signed for' service, my postman will sign it when I'm not in but not on special delivery, only recorded.

Social source share

i get on with my postie & asked him if he would just post signed for mail,if i wasnt in.

said he couldnt,as a postie just got sacked for doing this.

even asked if he could leave them with neighbour & she could sign for it,also said cant do that either now.

Edited by sepia
Social source share

Seem to be a number of variations already on what should be a seemingly straight forward system.

I recently sent a book 1st class Recorded to SE of UK. Posted on a Monday - took three days to get there.

Tracking said it was still in the system when I got an email from the buyer to say safely rec'd. He hadn't been able to sign for it as the paperwork had been mislaid by the PO?? (Don't quite understand that bit as it's digital)

Tracking still doesn't indicate delivered.

Social source share

Seem to be a number of variations already on what should be a seemingly straight forward system.

I recently sent a book 1st class Recorded to SE of UK. Posted on a Monday - took three days to get there.

Tracking said it was still in the system when I got an email from the buyer to say safely rec'd. He hadn't been able to sign for it as the paperwork had been mislaid by the PO?? (Don't quite understand that bit as it's digital)

Tracking still doesn't indicate delivered.

Usually when it says 'it's in our system' they've lost it...

Social source share

Read a few weeks ago that they were fetching in a system where you could nominate a neighbour to take your items if were not in but even then a signiture would be required.

I got a letter a month or so back ,saying they are gonna attempt to leave parcels with neighbours rather than just take em back and leave a card .

Only recorded items ,not specials .

Didn't say anything about nominating any particular neighbour ?

Social source share

I got a letter a month or so back ,saying they are gonna attempt to leave parcels with neighbours rather than just take em back and leave a card .

Only recorded items ,not specials .

Didn't say anything about nominating any particular neighbour ?

You are probably right Nev but do you want the postman leaving you parcels for your neighbours without permission i know i don't , i don't know all my neighbours !

i would be happy to do it for a few but where does it end.

Social source share

You need to know that the RED recorded delivery system is not treated in anyway special. Brother in law works for PO and these just get put with ordinary post. The blue/silver Special delivery SHOULD go from person to person and signed at the door by the addressee.Here they have a littlle computer with a stylus to sign in the box on screen. I send my regular business for work using this method. Also any record dealings I sell. Costs though!

Social source share

I'm of the understanding that they still leave a card to let you know it's at number whatever ??

I live in a quiet cul de sac and get on with the neighbours ...especially since I planted the Pampas grass in the middle of the lawn ;)

Social source share

Had three items broken within 1 week. Not in, returned to Sorting Office for me to collect next day only to find they were damaged. Obviously chucked in a pile underneath some rather heavier. Can claim money back but when its a rare piece of Vinyl it hurts. Always have them delivered to Work now as always someone there to receive them. Can't trust my neighbors, they'd probably try to eat them !!

Social source share

Some come straight through the door, even when I'm in, sometimes a card is left. I'm on good terms with the regular postie but recently there seems to be a couple of others doing the same round sometimes.

Nowhere near as bad as London though where I came home once to find a special delivery propped up against my front door for all to see! :ohmy:

Social source share

special delivery..just left on a doorstep..thats bang outta order :no: ..postie wanted reporting defo

The regular postie was really good, then I noticed she was getting larger and larger and eventually left to have her child. We then had all sorts of temporary loonies; stuff to the wrong house, things left on the doorstep, things too large for the letter box rammed halfway through, card left once with "Your Parcel has been left: under the car" written on it. :facepalm: It was an insured parcel from the states with the value written on it.

I complained a couple of times but I was wasting my breath to be honest, just kept going on whilst I received letters saying "Sorry for any inconvenience, lessons have been learned etc etc"

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Recorded delivery items are not tracked through the system. They go in the normal first or second class post and then they get picked out by the delivering postman and a signature should be obtained. My experience is that some postmen take their job seriously, others are too lazy to lug parcels back to the sorting office or are temps that just don't care. If you really want to be sure of delivery then Special Delivery is the only way as this is kept separate from the regular first class mail and is tracked step by step through the system.

Social source share

i live in wrexham and i always have to sign for any recorded delivery parcels, i know all our posties, i've had the same three or four for years, i've been lucky mine are all ok.

you can always ask the p.o. for a picture scan of a signature if it's been signed for and if someone says they haven't received there parcel you might have a bit of proof one way or another if it's from ebay for instance, i've had success with this in the past,

joe.

Social source share

I only found out very recently that when you hand the package over the counter you're paying the Post Office. They are responsible for the tracking, but they hand the package to the Royal Mail who are then responsible for delivering it and obtaining a signature. If they don't and something goes missing, it then takes 3-5 days before the Royal Mail signature goes through the system back to the Post Office. So when you call the number for your lost package, they don't know anything about it for almost a week, and when they do, they have no contact with the Royal Mail. I had 4 packages go missing at once and one was signed for. It was signed for, but not by me. Post Office didn't want to know, Royal Mail sorting office didn't want to know. In the end my own postie searched the sorting office and found my packages and brought them round when he finished his shift. Turns out the temp postie had got someone to sign for my package and handed them their correct one, then dumped all my packages in a corner of the sorting office unfiled. Apart from that stroke of luck i'd probably never have seen them. System is a shambles.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

well if you postman has done your round for some years, knows who you are, knows its probably a major pain in the arse for you to go down

to the sorting offive and pick up the item he will probably sign it for you..

all recorded post goes in with the regular mail, the postman signing for it and putting it through is probably not a lot

different from you neighbour doing it...

Social source share

same here i receive recorded delivery just pushed through the letterbox all the time 'which i think is very wrong.

i also get on well with the postman and never questioned him.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Recorded Delivery is only tracked at the point of entry and the point of exit, it's whereabouts is not tracked through the system.

Recorded's should always be signed for, never doorstepped or signed for by the post person.

Delivery confirmation can be available on the day if it has been signed for using a PDA, if it is signed for on a paper card, then it can take up to five days for it to appear on the system.

There are actually companies out there now who's buisness is to target Bulk Mailers, receive all their tracking details and claim compensation for were service has not been provided and take 30 percent commission.

Any Postman not obtaining signatures is a mug as evidence will stack up against them and they will eventually lose their job.

Royal Mail can now leave parcels with a neighbours, something that was allowed by offcom under competion rules, you can opt out, there is a sticker available for letterboxes that requests items to be returned to the DO. It is however unclear what RM deem a neighbour, in their wisdom have deemed it down to the post person.

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

From what's been said it doesn't sound as if RD is a worthwhile option any longer.

1st class or SD for me from now on.

The only decent thing about recorded delivery is that you have an easier claim process if the item has been lost as you at least have some tracking information to prove it hasn't been delivered. With first class you can only get proof of postage and you have to prove non-delivery (i.e. the receiver should claim).

It's tempting to start claiming every time I have one of these iffy deliveries as according to the system the item is lost. The downside of this is p*ssing off sellers and getting the postie sacked though. I'm also too honest.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

The only decent thing about recorded delivery is that you have an easier claim process if the item has been lost as you at least have some tracking information to prove it hasn't been delivered. With first class you can only get proof of postage and you have to prove non-delivery (i.e. the receiver should claim).

It's tempting to start claiming every time I have one of these iffy deliveries as according to the system the item is lost. The downside of this is p*ssing off sellers and getting the postie sacked though. I'm also too honest.

I can assure you Paul its not that easy at all! I spent so much time trying to recover the lost amounts I nearly gave up! They want signed statements from the buyer that they have not received it even though it shows on their system as not delivered!

Social source share

The downside of this is p*ssing off sellers and getting the postie sacked though. I'm also too honest.

Yes I think the days of Postman Pat have long gone - the posties on my round work like slaves - if they are taking short cuts its because of the pressure of work I would think. And i'm not going to report them for putting a package through the letter box without a signature - it makes no difference to me. The alternative is for them to put a card through the door then I have to wait 24 hours before driving across town to stand in a queue with proof of ID - so they are doing me a favour, IMHO. Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Recorded Delivery is only tracked at the point of entry and the point of exit, it's whereabouts is not tracked through the system.

Recorded's should always be signed for, never doorstepped or signed for by the post person.

Delivery confirmation can be available on the day if it has been signed for using a PDA, if it is signed for on a paper card, then it can take up to five days for it to appear on the system.

There are actually companies out there now who's buisness is to target Bulk Mailers, receive all their tracking details and claim compensation for were service has not been provided and take 30 percent commission.

Any Postman not obtaining signatures is a mug as evidence will stack up against them and they will eventually lose their job.

Royal Mail can now leave parcels with a neighbours, something that was allowed by offcom under competion rules, you can opt out, there is a sticker available for letterboxes that requests items to be returned to the DO. It is however unclear what RM deem a neighbour, in their wisdom have deemed it down to the post person.

well put, thats the letter of the law as far as us postman goes, as for me i have no problems with packets....i just walk to the delivery frame in my offce and grab them(signed by manager!!), or the postman comes and gives them to me!! :P

Social source share

Yes I think the days of Postman Pat have long gone - the posties on my round work like slaves - if they are taking short cuts its because of the pressure of work I would think. And i'm not going to report them for putting a package through the letter box without a signature - it makes no difference to me. The alternative is for them to put a card through the door then I have to wait 24 hours before driving across town to stand in a queue with proof of ID - so they are doing me a favour, IMHO. Mike

well said that man, hats off to you, theres many a kat on my round that think exactly the same and they really appreciate what a good service i am doing for them.....i have 540 calls and i know for a fact i look after my customers, i know usually who is in, who is out, who wants items back down the office, who wants them put through and what neighbours they get on with......honestly the days of postman pat arent completely gone, at times you can be like a pack horse but still love the job..

Edited by sigher the gutter snype
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

well put, thats the letter of the law as far as us postman goes, as for me i have no problems with packets....i just walk to the delivery frame in my offce and grab them(signed by manager!!), or the postman comes and gives them to me!! :P

Actually if you follow RM polices, both you and your manager are breaking them, you are not allowed to intercept personal mail, the rules are there to prevent theft, just don't let the IB catch you lol.

Whereabouts do you work to have rounds of around 540 points of delivery? have you gone through an intergrated revision yet? The average in W7 is 660. times are certainly changing with the job, not afforded time to give the personal touch.

Social source share

revision starts this march.....if manager signs over a personal item we have been told that is allowed...

still have the personal touch around our way.....smaller office perhaps

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!