Relocation

Youyou

Dear all,

Finally the goods are delivered: my permanent-resident-visa for Canada was sent to me a few days ago - and I am starting to talk to relocation companies for my house move now.

As I am planning to bring all my LPs along (approximately 2.000) I'm currently trying to get some tips, to what to pay attention, which boxes to use, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel!

The records will be sent from Germany to Canada. Currently I have no clue if this will be done via a container on a boat or air cargo.

So, has anyone of you already done a "cross ocean" house move? Any tips?

Your help would be really appreciated!!! :lol:

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

Dear all,

Finally the goods are delivered: my permanent-resident-visa for Canada was sent to me a few days ago - and I am starting to talk to relocation companies for my house move now.

As I am planning to bring all my LPs along (approximately 2.000) I'm currently trying to get some tips, to what to pay attention, which boxes to use, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel!

The records will be sent from Germany to Canada. Currently I have no clue if this will be done via a container on a boat or air cargo.

Best regards

YouYou

there are triple wall boxes available and these come with insurance ..... look around as a company i worked for used them and i got some for moving house . you can drop these things from the plane and not damage it

Social source share

Dear all,

Best regards

YouYou

When I made my move to the US, all of my belongings came over by sea freight. I seem to remember that I had to make a list of the contents of each box/container & then this box was put into a proper container for shipping. I was that paranoid that someone would have me vinyl away whilst in transit, that I wouldnt say what was in those boxes, I labelled them as something else, that no casual would be thief would have any intetest in whilst ensuring that the contents were still 'fragile'. I also seem to remember that I could only insure what was shipped as a 'lump' & not as individual items as to insure them seperately was cost prohibitive.

Whilst most of my records went into storeage, those I shipped, after weeks of worry arrived safe & sound.

BTW aswell as everything else my records were in proper flight cases. Might be expensive, but worth there weight in gold with regards to keeping the vinyl safe in transit.

Hope this helps.

Russ

PS I also remember something about custom forms.........but shouldn't have a problem with vinyl.

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

send it all to me.

i'll send everything on later for thirty quid, honest.

Actually, I was already thinking about that :P

But i am not sure if you could bear all my Drum'nBass and House records :lol:

Best regards

YouYou

Edited by YouYou
Social source share

Actually, I was already thinking about that :P

But i am not sure if you could bear all my Drum'nBass and House records :P

Best regards

YouYou

no that's fine. still send it and i'll make sure it's shipped appropriately :lol:

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Way I did it was to place them in the sealed container with my motorcycle.

If you're shipping a motor, use that Mate.

Any reputable Moving company will advise on the methods of shipping "fragile" bits. Insurance for moving records (valuable ones) is horrendous.

Hope this helps and Good lUck with the move. If you fancy a weekend of "Real Deal" rare Soul in September the Hitsville Weekender will be a good call. :yes:

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

Social source share

If you fancy a weekend of "Real Deal" rare Soul in September the Hitsville Weekender will be a good call. thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your tips. I really appreciate your help. :lol:

In the meantime I have found a few housemoving companies as well, who know what they are talking about! So I am pacified a bit!

And the date for the Weekender is already in my calendar!

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!